Dear friends of UnityWorks,
It has been a busy two months since the launch of our new website and crowdfunding effort! The main excitement is happening in the city of Yakima, Washington (USA).
UWF's K-12 School Program
We have recruited a stellar group of community leaders for the first Local Action Board in Yakima, as part of UWF's School Program!
The new Local Action Board (LAB) is comprised of:
- The President/CEO, Yakima Chamber of Commerce
- A school district's Director of Health and Student Services
- A high school principal and assistant principal
- A member of the Yakama Nation Tribe who teaches at the Tribal School
- A retired attorney
- An affiliate faculty member at a local university (who just completed her doctoral research on the topic of race relations in public schools)
- The CEO of a non-profit that offers educational and job training support to the local community
After the LAB's first meeting in September, a member wrote:
"I really am so honored to be a part of a board with the quality of people you have gathered. It was a great first meeting and I am so excited for us to get started here in Yakima."
In addition, our first four schools have signed on to the Program! One high school, two middle schools, and an elementary school are in the process of establishing Site Teams that will begin training this fall for implementation throughout the 2014-15 school year. Dedicated Site Team members at each school include principals, vice principals, teachers, and community representatives.
And the blessings continue to flow!
- The Yakima School District was so enthusiastic about the Program that they offered to fund substitute teachers on all 5 days that regular teachers will be in UWF training.
- An anonymous donor has pledged to make a $10,000 matching grant to UWF.
- Another family was so moved by this generosity that they also decided to contribute $10,000!
- So far on our crowdfunding site, we have raised $1,150. With the matching grant, this amount is doubled to $2,300.
- UWF received a software grant of "Office Professional Plus 2013" from Microsoft, via its Corporate Citizenship Program.
Next goals: Work with the schools to schedule 5 days of intensive training, and develop training materials.