Message from James Creaghan, Derbyshire Public Health Lead for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
Each year the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP) marks 10th of September as World Suicide Prevention Day. This is an opportunity for communities to come together to raise awareness of suicide prevention, tackle the stigma that prevents people from seeking help when in distress, and support and signpost people in need to sources of support.
More info here World Suicide Prevention Day 2021 - IASP
Covid 19 has had a significant impact on the mental wellbeing of everyone, but some have experienced more significant changes in circumstances which affect mental wellbeing.
The opportunity to again raise awareness and offer support to people is more important than ever.
After having to cancel events in 2020 due to the pandemic, our idea this year is to again link in with a range of football clubs across our county. As per the last few years we are linking with Chesterfield FC, Alfreton Town, Belper Town, Matlock Town and Sheffield FC.
May we seek your support with the opportunity to volunteer at one or more of 5 matches?
We’re looking for around 30 volunteers for Chesterfield match and around 8 for each of the other non-league matches.
- We’ll be meeting around 1.5 hours ahead of the matches.
- Your role as a volunteer will be raising awareness with fans arriving at the match by engaging them in conversation and handing out leaflets. This is mainly done before the match and our experience is that the majority of fans really engage with this message.
- You will receive free access to the respective match (if you want to)
- Each match will have support from someone clinical and support from a local charity (e.g. Samaritans)
- There will be Covid protocol in place to keep you and others safe
Please send your reply to ASCH.Suicide.Prevention@derbyshire.gov.uk
- Include your contact information (e-mail address), organisation (if applicable) and your position/role*. (*This information will only be used by DCC Public Mental Health Team to communicate with you about these events and will not be shared.)
- Please indicate if you would like a free ticket for the match.
Further specific information, such as where to meet, where to park and who will be coordinating, will be sent out closer to the date of each match.
Your support is much appreciated.
Thank you for being part of such an important event.
Derbyshire Public Health Lead for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, Public Health Lead for Chesterfield Locality
|Save the Date
Our next mental health meeting is our Voluntary Sector Mental Health Network (VSMHN) on Monday 16th August, 1pm - 2.30pm. If you would like to join us please email email@example.com and a Zoom link will be sent to you.