Hello <<First Name>>!
Two weeks ago, I was one of 2200 participants—and made a presentation on Emotional Intelligence-- at the Project Management Institute (PMI) Congress in Phoenix. A highlight of the 3-day PMI conference was the energetic opening remarks by 3x-NBA MVP and successful entrepreneur, Magic Johnson. Here's my blog post on 10 Magic Leadership Lessons.
After listening to many PMs on what it takes to move their game to the next level, one overarching theme was timeless enough to share with all of you, no matter your profession—
What is the one skill essential to success?
What I Heard –
Being an effective communicator.
What I Know—
- Many PMs are technically expert-- but too many managers allow a technical approach to become their ‘one-size-fits-all’ default mode of relating to people.
- “Effective communications” is more than the ability to brief a project update.
- It’s more than telling people what to do.
Developing an essential skill like “effective communications” helps explain what VAULT does:
- Being an effective communicator is about situational awareness, interpersonal relationships, empathy, flexibility, and a host of other Emotional Intelligence competencies.
- It is the skill to make strategic and tactical choices… that gets the right message across… to the right audience… to take the action you/or they need.
We work with leaders—and teams—to develop leadership skills essential to their success.
If you know a PM who would benefit from developing more effective leadership behaviors, please direct them to a special Leadership Coaching program I’m offering for the next couple of weeks and/or please put them in touch with me.
My best wishes,
Phone: 703-417-9411 (O) // 571-239-1483 (C)