Check back next week for more PTSA news!
Report Cards & Learning Hub
Report cards will be mailed home this week. Celebrate the successes your student has made and work on strategies for starting 2nd Semester with a fresh start. Our nationally recognized Learning Hub is available to all students Monday – Thursday from 4:30 – 6:30 with transportation available on Tuesday and Thursdays. Dinner is available each evening.
Whirlie Bus Shuttle Bus Locations
GCS Schools has continued to suspended bus transportation for Grimsley students due to the shortage of bus drivers. Grimsley is doing everything we can to help get our students to school. Hop on the Whirlie bus at one of the four locations listed above. Pick up time at these locations is at 8:30 AM and departure from school in the afternoon is at 4:25.
Thank you to our Coaches and Counselors for helping drive and supervise the shuttle buses.
Magnet Open Houses
All GCS Magnet Open Houses will be virtual this year. Grimsley IB will host sessions on the following dates/times:
Thursday, February 3 at 9 AM and 6 PM
Friday, February 4 at 12 PM and 4 PM
The Craft Club meets this week! On Thursday, January 27th we will be meeting from 4:25-5:30 in room 204 (Ms. Purgason’s room).
Beginners are more than welcome to come and learn. If you have a craft or project you'd like to share or work on we'd love to see you there!
GAP Interest Meeting
Applications for the Guilford Apprenticeship Partners (GAP) are due by January 29th! GAP Open Houses are winding down. All applicants are required to attend at least one with a parent or guardian. If you have not attended a GAP open house, there are four this week—Culp (Tuesday), TE Connectivity (Wednesday), EAS, Inc. (Thursday) and LC America (Saturday). Please check the GAP website (gapnc.org) to sign up to attend and check for schedule changes--some companies are now holding virtual open houses. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Rock in the Media Center. There is still time to apply--Don’t miss this tremendous opportunity!
Battle of the Books
Want to read like a boss? Join the Grimsley Battle of the Books Team and take on readers across the district in competition of knowledge over selected titles. This year’s competition will be held on March 7. Must read at least one title by February 1st to be considered for the team. See Mrs. Worrells for details.
Attention Poets! The deadline for submission in the High School Poet Laureate Competition is January 24. Please have your submissions to Mrs. Worrells by this time. You may submit up to 3 poems.
Opportunities for Juniors & Seniors
Since 2004, the Bank of America Student Leaders® program has been part of their ongoing commitment to youth employment and economic mobility. The students hail from many diverse backgrounds but are united by their drive and commitment. Through paid internships with local nonprofits and participation in a national leadership summit, they gain practical work and life experience. Applications have just become available and the deadline to apply is January 28th. https://about.bankofamerica.com/en/making-an-impact/student-leaders
The 2022 Whirligig, Grimsley’s Yearbook, is on sale for $80. Get yours at www.jostensyearbooks.com!
Questions about Service Learning?
Do you have questions about Service Learning? See Ms. Hunt before or after school in room 801 Vocational.
Grimsley Daily Bulletin
Updated Traditional School Calendar
For all your GSC updates
On Facebook? Follow the Grimsley PTSA and Grimsley Parents page for discussions/advice/etc.
Here are just a few updates as we start the 2nd semester.
- If you haven’t yet ordered your cap and gown, you should do so BEFORE the end of January. There are no guarantees that late orders will arrive in time for graduation in June. You can place your order at highschool.herffjones.com
- The Senior Class picture schedule for Jan 26 has been postponed due to the current status of the pandemic and the covid-related protocols. If the picture is rescheduled, announcements will be made concerning the makeup.
- Cap and gown pictures will be taken Feb 8. You can schedule an appointment using this link. http://grimsleyhs.youcanbook.me Appointments will be from 11:00 am through 3:50 pm. A cap and gown will be provided for the picture. There is no obligation to purchase and there is NOT a sitting fee. However, you MUST make an appointment. Pictures will be taken in the Aux Gym on Feb 8.
- As you receive college acceptance letters, please remember to share that information here https://forms.gle/FRg1Neom8BzAsbmD8. You will need to submit each time you have an acceptance to input.
- As you receive scholarship offers, please share that information with Ms. Taylor in Counseling (firstname.lastname@example.org). We keep a running total of all OFFERED scholarships/grants, even if you don’t accept the offer.
Don’t miss the opportunity to meet with College Representatives that are coming to Grimsley. Sign up on the Counseling website or by emailing Ms. Taylor - email@example.com
College Visits - sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F4EAEAD2EA5FEC07-ncat
Class of 2022 Remind
Text @whirlies22 to 81010 to receive updates of class information.
Bookmark the Senior Page on the school’s website for updates and important information.
**Grimsley Alumni Scholarship applications and SECU scholarship applications for Seniors are now available. See Ms. Taylor for more info and follow @grimsleycounseling on Instagram for more updates.
Class of 2022 Important Dates and Info
SAT Dates - March 12th, May 7th, and June 4th
February 8th - Cap and Gown pictures will be taken in the Auxiliary Gym during English Classes.
March 1st - ACT testing day for Juniors. This is another great day for a college visit.
March 3rd - Cap and Gown picture retakes.
June 1st - Graduation Practice - 9 a.m.
June 3rd - Graduation - 3 p.m.
TBD: Cap and Gown Delivery (April), Senior Tea (May), Convocation (May)