A MESSAGE FROM MRS. WHITING, THE SENIOR CLASS ADVISOR:
- It is beginning to look a lot like Graduation Season. Pay attention to announcements, the Daily Bulletin, the Weekly Whirlie, and the Remind to stay “in the know”. If you haven’t registered with the class Remind, please use the code @whirlie23b as the two other groups are full and are not accepting new participants.
- I have received the most up-to-date list of cap and gown orders. Only 300 of the 497 on the potential grads list have purchased a cap and gown in some way, shape or form.
- A cap and gown is REQUIRED for participation. If you know you haven’t yet taken care of your cap and gown and are planning to participate in the June 9 ceremony, you’ll need to do one of the following:
- Order at highschool.herffjones.com ASAP. Shipping costs are increasing and orders placed after Jan 31 have no guarantees to be here on time for graduation.
- If you are using a sibling/cousin/neighbor’s cap and gown, you need to let me know what year it was used AND bring me $45 to cover the cost of the dated tassel, stole, and diploma cover. These are required to participate.
- If you are not planning to participate in the ceremony, you need to let Mrs. Whiting and your counselor know ASAP.
- Balances must be paid by MARCH 1 for delivery on time. You can pay online at highschool.herffjones.com. You should have your receipt, either the paper copy or an email if you ordered online and can verify your order number and balance owed.
- Cap and Gown pictures are scheduled for Feb 2-3. Students will need to use this link to sign up for an appointment time (https://grimsleyhs.youcanbook.me). CAPS AND GOWNS WILL BE PROVIDED for the pictures. There is no purchase necessary. We are asking ALL seniors to have a picture taken so we can use these to create a Class of 2023 picture.
Feb 2-3 are MAP testing days. Please schedule your appointment early in the day so we can accommodate all seniors to have a cap and gown picture taken.
- Tickets for Project Graduation ($10 cash) will be on sale in the Main Hall on Feb 2-3. You can purchase your ticket after you’ve had your cap and gown picture taken. Cap and gown pictures will be on the stage in the Auditorium.
- Questions should be directed to Mrs. Whiting via remind or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). DO NOT INTERRUPT HER CLASSES WITH YOUR QUESTIONS.
Navigating the College Process: Shift_ed (formerly Say Yes) has provided students and parents an opportunity to schedule a 1-1 timeslot for support in the areas below.
- FAFSA Completion
- College App Assistance
- NC RDS
- shift_ed Scholarship Question
Class of 2023 Important Dates and Information
SAT Dates Mar 11, May 6, Jun 3
Dress Code for Senior Awards, Convocation, and Graduation: No jeans, no tennis shoes, and no casual sandals. If you choose to wear pants, you must wear a white dress shirt and tie with dark dress pants, dark socks, and dark dress shoes. If you choose to wear a dress, you should wear a scoop neck or v-neck white dress or appropriate nice dress underneath the gown: no bold patterns or colors that will show through the robe. If your dress is longer than the gown, it must be WHITE.Shoes worn with dresses should be black, blue, tan or white dress shoes (no bright colors, no tennis shoes, boots, loafers, flip-flops or casual sandals). Be mindful of the height of your heels. You will have to walk up and down stairs. Save the 4+ inch heels for another event. Graduates will be “on display” to the visitors and should look proud of themselves. Caps are to be worn flat on your head with the tassel on the right. Do NOT put anything on the top of the cap.
Feb 2 and 3 Cap &Gown pictures during English classes
Mar 7 ACT – another College Visit day
May 18 Senior Tea - Blandwood Mansion 5:30 pm (Seniors only)
June 7, 10 am Graduation Practice –Coliseum
June 9, 2 pm Graduation
June 9 Project Graduation – on campus - $10
**** Keep the week of June 5 open and free of scheduling conflicts for required senior events.****
TBD: Events in BOLD are required by graduating seniors. Cap and Gown Delivery (April), Prom (April), Senior Awards (May), Convocation (June)
Best All-Around Male and Female Graduate
Each year, the senior class votes on the Best All-Around Male and Female of the class. It is the most prestigious award given at Senior Awards. It is a serious award and needs to be treated as such. Be thinking about your votes for the one male and one female who best represents Grimsley High School’s Class of 2023. Voting will take place in the Spring.
Class of 2023 Remind: Text @whirlie23b to 81010 to receive updates of class information.
Scholarships: Bookmark the Senior Page on the school’s website for updates and important information.
Project Graduation: June 9 Save the date!! Project Graduation is a drug and alcohol-free celebration for seniors only and it takes place at Grimsley the night of graduation. There are prizes, games, food and more. There is a $10 fee to attend. Attendees will receive a special t-shirt and cash prizes.
If you are planning to use a cap and gown from a previous Grimsley graduation, you MUST notify Mrs. Whiting ASAP (email@example.com) with the year of the graduation to ensure the color will match. Herff Jones does change dye lots periodically. You will need to purchase the dated stole, tassel, and diploma cover for graduation. The fee is $45. You can bring that in the form of a check made payable to Herff Jones to Mrs. Whiting (room 413). Be sure to include the name of the graduate with the payment. If you choose to make the payment online when online ordering is available, you still MUST let Mrs. Whiting know you are using a previous year’s cap and gown. There is an additional shipping fee if you order online. After January 1, Herff Jones will NOT accept personal checks. Payments made after Jan 1 MUST be by credit card, cash, or money order.
Please do NOT purchase a cap and gown from another vendor. The colors will not match the dye lot used by Herff Jones and you will be without a usable cap and gown for our graduation.
If you are not sure if you will graduate in June, it is better to go ahead and purchase the cap and gown unit in November to incur the minimal shipping costs. If it is determined that you will not be participating in graduation in June, the cap and gown can be returned, unopened, for a refund of the cost of the cap and gown. The shipping fees CANNOT be refunded. Shipping fees increase dramatically the closer we get to graduation.