To be eligible, the student must fulfill TWO of the following four requirements:
1. On track to graduate or has graduated high school with the Distinguished Level of Achievement Plan or the International Baccalaureate Program (IB);
2. Has a current high school GPA of 3.0 or higher or graduated with a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale;
3. Is currently ranked in the top third of their prospective high school graduating class or graduated in the top third of their graduating class;
4. Has achieved a college readiness score on the SAT (1070) or ACT (23).
To receive the scholarship, a student must:
1. Be enrolled in a Texas public or private accredited institution of higher education in the fall 2021/spring 2022 academic year;
2. Enroll in and be a member of good standing of a Reserves Officer’s Training Corps (ROTC) program while enrolled in the institution, as certified by the institution.
3. Enter into a written agreement with the Coordinating Board agreeing to:
- a. Complete four years of ROTC training
- b. Graduate no later than six years after the date the student first enrolls at an institution of higher education;
- c. No later than six months after graduation, provide the Coordinating Board with the verification of:
- i. A four-year commitment to be a member of the Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Merchant Marine; or
- ii. A contract to serve as a commissioned officer in any branch of the armed services of the United States;
- d. Meet all prescreening requirements of the Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Merchant Marine, or the branch of the armed services with which the student enters into a contract; and
- e. Repay the award if the student fails to meet the requirements for obtaining the award.
Interested candidates who fulfill the above requirements must send along the following documents:
1. Cover Letter; and
Deadline: Students must submit the aforementioned requirements no later than Close of Business on Friday, August 20, 2021 to Kirsten Mills at district53.murr@@house.texas.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much will each selected student receive through TASSP?
The TASSP award amount for the 2021-2022 academic year is a maximum of $10,000.
Can non-freshman students be nominated for an initial TASSP?
Yes. Students already enrolled at an institution of higher education may be nominated for a TASSP.
Questions? Contact my Capitol office at (512) 463-0536.