- Pablo de Greiff, UN Special Rapporteur on transitional justice: Spain (till 3 Feb.).
- Filippo Grandi, UNRWA Commissioner-General: Brussels (27 Jan.).
- Ivica Dačić, Serbia's Prime Minister; Hashim Thaçi, Prime Minister of Kosovo: Brussels (27 Jan.)
- Raymond Benjamin, ICAO Secretary-General: Brussels (27 Jan.).
- Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation; Sergey Lavrov, Foreign Minister: Brussels (28 Jan.).
- Maria Van der Hoeven, Executive Director, International Energy Agency: Brussels (28 Jan.).
- Pascal Lamy, Global Ocean Commissioner: Brussels (28 Jan.).
- António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees: Brussels (30 Jan.).
- Peter Maurer, President of the ICRC: Brussels (30 Jan.).
- Catherine Ashton, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy: Kiev (30 - 31 Jan.).
- Andris Piebalgs: EU Commissioner for Development: Addis Ababa (30 -31 Jan).
- Štefan Füle, EU Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy: Tunisia (31 Jan.).
- Yukiya Amano, IAEA Director General: Brussels (3-4 Feb.).
- John W. Ashe, President of the United Nations General Assembly: Brussels (3 Feb.).
- Heraldo Muñoz, UN Assistant Secretary General and UNDP Assistant Administrator and Director of RBLAC: Brussels (6 Feb.).
- Arancha Gonzalez, Executive Director, International Trade Center: Brussels (11-12 Feb.).
- Rebecca Grynspan, UN Under-Secretary-General and UNDP Associate Administrator: Brussels (19-20 Feb.).
- Jordan Ryan, UNDP Assistant Administrator, Director of the Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recover: Brussels (20-21 Feb.).
- Dimitry Titov, UN Assistant Secretary-General for Rule of Law and Security Institutions: Brussels (20-21 Feb.)
This document is for planning purposes only and is subject to change.
Please check also our website for latest changes http://www.unric.org
or call + 32 2 788 84 84 / + 32 476 215 485
Monday, 27 January
International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust
Theme for 2014: "Journeys through the Holocaust" www.un.org/en/holocaustremembrance
Addis Ababa: African Union Summit (till 31 Jan.). http://un4.me/KwJBip
Athens: Meeting of High Officials of the Union for the Mediterranean (till 28 Jan.).
Brussels: - Serbia/Kosovo - EU-facilitated dialogue.
- EU-China Strategic Dialogue.
- Eurogroup meeting
- Event organized by the European Parliament to mark International Holocaust Remembrance. http://un4.me/1f5SPMc
-European Parliament - Discussion with Filippo Grandi, UNRWA Commissioner-General.
Geneva: -Committee on the Rights of the Child (till 31 Jan.). http://un4.me/1h84kV6
- Human Rights Council - Universal Periodic Review (till 7 Feb.).
-Conference on Disarmament (till 28 March).
Montreal: ICAO Council (till 31 Jan.).
New York: -Security Council – Briefing and Consultations on UNOCI.
Security Council – Resolution on the “Threats to International Peace and Security” (tbc).
Strasbourg: Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
Vilnius: Meeting of the Secretaries General of EU Parliaments.
Tuesday, 28 January
Launch of the Global Atlas of Palliative Care at the End of Life (WHO).
Brussels: - EU-Russia summit
- Economic and Financial Affairs Council.
- Friends of Europe: Priorities and challenges for the G20 in Australia's presidency year. http://un4.me/1aX5kdZ
Kiev: An ad-hoc delegation of the European Parliament will meet with Maiden Square protesters, opposition parties and representatives of the Ukrainian government, to assess the situation against the backdrop of the latest developments and violent clashes. Conclusions of the MEPs' mission will feed into the European Parliament's post-Vilnius summit report, "Assessing and setting priorities for EU relations with the Eastern partnership countries" which will be adopted later this year (till 30 Jan.).
New York: -Security Council – Resolutions on BINUCA, UNFICYP and DRC Sanctions (tbc).
-Security Council – Briefing and Consultations on BNUB.
-Security Council - Consultations on the Middle East (Yemen).
Wednesday, 29 January
Launch of the UNESCO 2013-2014 Education for all Global Monitoring Report.
Brussels: European Commission to propose Structural reform measures on the EU banking sector.
New York: -Security Council - Open Debate on the Maintenance of International Peace and Security: War, its lessons, and the search for a permanent peace.
Thursday, 30 January
Bucharest: -Conference "Sustainable development of the blue economy in the Black Sea - Enhancing marine and maritime cooperation".
New York: Launch of the “Practical guide on transition, justice, truth and reconciliation processes in the francophone area”, organized by the International Organization of la Francophonie (IOF).
Friday, 31 January
Munich: -The Munich Security Conference (till 2 Feb.).
Lithuania assures the monthly rotating presidency of the UN Security Council
And beyond: Other dates to pin
World Interfaith Harmony Week http://un4.me/1iCwfR1
Monday, 3 February
Brussels: - “Atoms for Peace in the 21st Century”- Conference organized by EGMONT.
Geneva: Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (till 21 Feb.).
New York: Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals (till 7 Feb.).
Strasbourg: - European Parliament Plenary (till 6 Feb.).
Tuesday, 4 February
World Cancer Day (WTO) www.who.int/cancer/en/
Wednesday, 5 February
Paris: OECD Parliamentary Days.
Thursday, 6 February
International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation [WHO]
Theme for 2014: "Synergy of action by Governments, International Community and Civil Society to accelerate the achievement of the Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation", http://un4.me/LdBCrC
Brussels: - Foreign Affairs EU Council.
-High level meeting on the Sahel.
New York: General Assembly - Interactive briefing with Civil Society.
Friday, 7 February
Brussels: EU Studies Fair 2014 (till 8 Feb.) http://un4.me/1aX5y4P
Sunday 9 February
Brussels: “Pierre et Mohamed” theatrical and musical performance from Francesco Agnello,at the Abbaye de la Cambre in the context of World Interfaith Harmony Week 2014 http://un4.me/1f5Tmhi
Monday, 10 February
Brussels: EU Foreign and General Affairs Councils (till 11 Feb.).
Geneva: Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (till 28 Feb.).
Tuesday, 11 February:
Brussels: - European Competition Forum 2014
-Ciné-ONU Brussels: The Moo Man. A film by Andy Heathcote and Heike Bachelier to mark International Year of Family Farming. Q&A with the director. http://un4.me/1aX5Ecw
New York: Commission for Social Development (till 21 Feb.).
Singapore: - EU-ASEAN Aviation Summit (till 12 Feb.).
Wednesday, 12 February
Brussels: - Hearing on “Crisis Communication: Nuclear and Radiological Emergency”, organized by the EESC and the EC. email@example.com.
- Championing Child Rights: A new Vision for Europe - Launch of a UNICEF/Eurochild publication: Residence Palace, Salle Polak – More information to come.
Thursday, 13 February
World Radio Day [UNESCO] Theme: "Gender equality and women's empowerment in radio http://un4.me/M3EjMq
Brussels: - EESC Conference on “A new global partnership: European Civil Society Positions on the Post-2015 Framework (till 14 Feb.). Registration before 4 February.
-"Why and how is the issue of women at the heart of the Arab revolutions”: Lunch debate with Wassyla Tamzali. 12.30-14.00. Venue: WBI, Place Sainctelette, 2. Registration is free but needed before 10 Feb. : firstname.lastname@example.org
Liège: "Why and how is the issue of women at the heart of the Arab revolutions” : Lecture by Wassyla Tamzali followed by a debate. 19.30-22.00. Venue: ULg, Place du Vingt-Août Registration: email@example.com
Monday, 17 February
Brussels: - Agriculture and Fisheries EU Council (till 18 Feb.).
- Conference: Cities of Tomorrow: Investing in Europe.
Tuesday, 18 February
Brussels: - Economic and Financial Affairs EU Council.
- European Parliament: Parliamentary Forum on “EU Parliaments in global Governance”.
New York: General Assembly: Thematic Debate - Water, sanitation and sustainable energy (till 19 Feb.). http://un4.me/L19Xth
Brussels: - Conference "2014: A Challenging Year for the European Union" with o.a. Stefani Weiss, Director, Programs Europe's Future and Shaping Global Future (Bertelsmann Foundation).
Thursday, 20 February
World Day of Social Justice http://un4.me/1dIgr7e
Brussels: - Competitiveness EU Council (till 21 Feb.).
Friday, 21 February
International Mother Language Day [UNESCO]
Saturday, 22 February
Sydney: G20 Finance ministers and central bank governors meeting (till 23 Feb.).
Monday, 24 February
Launch of the International Year of Small Island Developing States www.sids2014.org/
Brussels: Education, Youth, Culture and Sport EU Council.
London: - EBRD high-level regional forum: “Investing in the Western Balkans” http://un4.me/1jAlyOX
Strasbourg: European Parliament plenary session (till 27 Feb.).
Tuesday, 25 February
Brussels: Conference "Climate Change - What the most recent IPCC Report says" by Professor Jean Pascal van Ypersele, Vice-chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC); organized by Egmont Institute and APNU, with support of UNRIC. http://un4.me/LdCUTA
Thursday, 27 February
Brussels: “The International Criminal Court – Origin and challenges”: Lunch debate with Professor Eric David (ULB). 12.30-14.00. Venue: WBI, Place Sainctelette, 2. Registration is free but needed before 24 Feb. : firstname.lastname@example.org
Paris: 2014 Global Forum on Competition, OECD (till. 28 Feb).
Rabat: - IMF: International Conference on Food price Volatility: Causes and Challenges (till. 28 Feb) http://un4.me/1aX64Qh
Friday, 28 February
Athens: - Informal Foreign Affairs EU Council.
UN Campaigns, Competitions, Apps and Games
Many Languages, One World - Student Essay Contest http://un4.me/Vv40ph
Part of the UN Academic Impact's commitment to multilingual education, ELS Educational services and the United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI) have launched a global essay contest for university and college students on global citizenship and understanding.
Submit an essay (2000 words or less) exploring how multilingual ability advances global citizenship and understanding. Your essay should reflect your academic, cultural, and national context.
The submission deadline is 21 February, 2014
World Water Day - Photo Contest http://un4.me/Vv40ph
The photo contest focuses on the theme of the Water-Energy Nexus.
The World Water Day 2014 theme of Water and Energy is central to achieving a sustainable future. It also cuts to the heart of inequities, particularly for the poorest of the poor, who suffer greatly from lack of access to water, sanitation and modern forms of energy.
The submission deadline is 28 February, 2014
We are Europe. Every day http://un4.me/Vv40ph
Share your EU story! Submit your video! At a key moment in the history of European Construction and ahead of the European elections next May, the European Commission, in partnership with the United Nations, is launching a video competition on the theme of the European project and the support of its citizens for this project.
The submission deadline is 10 March, 2014