Farmers have been social distancing for years!
Update from the Tulsa Farmers' Market
This newsletter comes to you on the eve of what would have been the opening day of our weekly market. Honestly, we are all quite disappointed we won't be kicking off the season in celebration with you, but the safety of our customers, vendors, and staff is what truly matters most. We have been working hard behind the scenes brainstorming on how to support local food producers while protecting the wellbeing of all of our stakeholders. You may be aware of the executive order issued by Governor's Stitt's office on March 25th. This order classified farmers markets as essential businesses, however, we still cannot operate due to the City of Tulsa's prohibition on special events permits. While we are still pursuing a solution, we all can still be supporting the local food scene in other ways!
As mentioned in our previous newsletters, we have compiled a vendor list complete with contact info and how you can continue to support them during this strange and unprecedented time. This list is also on our website and it is being updated as we receive additional information from our vendors.
There are also a couple of opportunities to shop local in Tulsa tomorrow morning.
Here are a few:
Hungry Duck Farm- Seasonal produce, Produce pick up Saturdays 9-12pm @ 1866 E. 15th (15th & Utica)
Creekside Plants & Produce, Blakley Family Farms - Pork, beef, eggs, & plants, Saturdays across from Pancho Anaya Bakery in Kendall Whittier, 9-11am.
- Redbird Ranch Fare - Beef, lamb, pork, eggs & some prepared foods, Saturdays 8:30-11am in Ziegler’s parking lot (Admiral Blvd & Lewis Ave)
Stay tuned to our social media channels or visit our vendor list to learn of opportunities to preorder for pickup in the coming week.
A few vendors offering this option include:
And, of course, many vendors are now offering delivery or shipping:
Three Springs Farm- Sign up for CSA & pickup order on Saturdays
Tria Yang Farms - Preorder by Thursday for Saturday pick up
Wagon Creek Creamery - Preorder by Thursday for Saturday pick up (bi-weekly)
Lastly, thank you for continuing to support local amidst so much chaos and uncertainty. Buying from a local producer at this moment may quite literally save their business. We are forever grateful for our Green Country community, and together we can get through anything!
- Abundant Microgreens - Microgreens & Sprouts, order at Abundantmicrogreens.com
- Alimade Foods - locally crafted bone broths, available for curbside pick up and home delivery. Order at www.alimadefood.com
- Greenwood Farms - Pork, beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, eggs, duck eggs, dog treats, Home delivery now available in Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Jenks & Glenpool on Wednesdays Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (918) 323-0330 to order
- Knight Creek Farm - Fresh pecans & pecan products, Shop online @ https://www.knightcreekfarms.com
- Prairie Creek Farms - Pastured pork, chicken, beef, & eggs, Offering free home delivery. Order at https://prairiecreek.farm
More updates to come, but in the meantime- please take care of yourself and STAY HOME!
Peace, love & local,
TFM Executive Director
Help HFO Build a Statewide Food Resource Bank
Hunger Free Oklahoma is coordinating a one-stop information hub for COVID-19 food resources and announcements in Oklahoma. Please see how you can plug into this valuable resource.
· Meals4KidsOK.org, the Oklahoma summer meal location website, is being equipped to display key serving information for students that are affected by COVID-19 school closures. Visitors will be able to input their zip code and will be directed to the closest open meal site where children ages 1 – 18 years can receive a meal.
· School District staff can share details for updating the Meals4KidsOK website by completing the excel form (instructions included).
· Here’s the Quick Form Link for Community Organizations like social service groups, nonprofits, faith-based organizations, and local businesses to share information on the free resources available to help individuals and families to connect with local food resources.
· Businesses, organizations, and all community partners are asked to help raise awareness and share the resource information with networks and friends.
Please share & Thank you!