Your Name in Lights was a great opportunity for girls to explore circuits and electricity, and we can't wait for the upcoming summer workshops!
Math Camp is Back!
Find us crunching numbers and multiplying fractions this summer at Jewels! Every Saturday starting June 8th, 15th, 22nd, and the 29th for 4th-8th graders, from those who love math to the less enthusiastic, we'll be offering a range of workshops for everyone. The focus will be on decimals, fractions, and long division, and snacks will be provided.
Jewels Annual Report
The 2018 Report has been approved by the Board - here's a look at our metrics:
- 100% of students' workshops are subsidized to keep the cost affordable
- 40% of the students are free or reduced lunch
- 67% are young women of color
- 60% of the peer mentors' household income qualifies for free or reduced lunch
- Jewels Academy sponsored 12 workshops in 2018
- Over seven training sessions were held
- Two college interns were employed over the summer
- Five high school and college students participated in the stipend program
- Ten STEM professionals participated as speakers or mentors
- 100% of Jewels Academy high school graduates since 2014 attend college
- 100% of peer mentors graduating 2018 or earlier completed their bachelor's degrees in a STEM field
- 89% of high school and college peer mentors since 2014 major in a STEM discipline and are on track to graduate from college between 2019 and 2023
- Outreach to over 700 youth in outreach events in 2018
- Partnered and affiliated with over 10 major colleges, universities, and businesses to create accessibility to STEM professionals and resources
Keep your kids learning over summer break with Making Things Fly camp.
Held in the Area 515 Maker Space, kids will make a variety of projects to discover the basic principles of flight. We'll build windmills, balsa wood planes, helicopters, and balloons!
Suitable for kids grades 6 - 8.
Camp cost: $100
Monday, - Friday June 3rd - June 7th 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 AM RegisterHere: