You have all heard the old adage about the two certainties in life; taxes and death. In 2011, Nathan Kottkamp, a healthcare attorney, founded NHDD and set aside April 16th as the day to honor and recognize the importance of choosing decision-makers and having meaningful conversations about ones wishes. In 2016, his non-profit merged with the national office of The Conversation Project.
This year, Boulder Community Health and The Conversation Project are focusing on making your documents accessible. Documents in drawers at home are not helpful to emergency room personnel. We suggest the following:
- Give copies of your documents to your decision-maker(s)/agent. It is suggested that you have an alternate listed on your MDPOA document.
- Provide a copy of this document to your healthcare provider in the clinic.
- Take a copy to the hospital when you are admitted or are having a procedure.
- Carry a wallet card that mirrors the information on your MDPOA document. You can print off this card or we are happy to mail them to you.
- Come by our exhibit at Boulder Community Health from 11-1 on Wednesday, April 17th, by the cafeteria. (News Flash: The new Della Cava Parking Structure is open, relieving the parking woes on the Foothills campus!)
If all of this is confusing and overwhelming, do request a one-to-one meeting with a coach.