CEO update - our work this coming year, a new chair, a new structure and staff recruitment
Coming up in 2021-2022 - here is a flavour of what we have planned for the year ahead. We’ll be:
- Developing our training materials so they can be offered both online and, when possible, face to face
- Announcing a full training programme and our first online events for the year by late spring
- Working with the Woodland Trust in the delivery of a Green Recovery Challenge Fund project
- Updating and launching three Ancient Tree Guides, including events to share these
- Re-engaging volunteers through a new structure, and listening to feedback - including running events that bring experts together.
And the CEO and board of trustees will be ensuring that the ATF can continue to work into the long-term, including:
- Business planning and fundraising for 2022-2027
- Continuing to ensure the ATF is innovative, inclusive, well-managed and legally compliant
- Recruiting new trustees.
Like many organisations, we’ve had to make changes to our work in the last 12 months of the pandemic – and we know that many of you have missed our regular events “under a tree”.
So we are sorry to announce that we will be postponing our April training until later in the year, due to Covid restrictions. However, we will be announcing a full training programme by the end of Spring.
As well as online podcasts, policy influencing and supporting local groups, we’ve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes in the last 12 months, much of which is now coming to fruition. Here are three pieces of news:
Behind the scenes #1 – the ATF has a new Chair
Vikki Bengtsson takes over the role from the March 2021 board meeting from Russell Miller. Russell will stay on the board as a trustee.
Vikki is known by many in the ATF - she was a founder trustee, until she stepped away from the board for a while in March 2019. She returned to the board in October 2020 and was recently interviewed for the role of Chair, and was the standout candidate.
We will be thanking Russell more fulsomely for his time as Chair since 2016, in due course. Meanwhile, I’m sure you will wish Vikki all the very best in her new role.
Behind the scenes #2 - strategy and structure
Since last summer, over 200 people have contributed to the strategic review at the ATF. After all of this work, in March 2021, two trustees and the CEO held a small event for close stakeholders to preview the draft strategy. This feedback has been taken on board, and the board approved the new strategy at the March board meeting.
Over the coming months, we hope you will want to work with us as we work on new ways for you to engage with the ATF, as experts, as experts, volunteers and people with a longstanding interest in ancient and other veteran trees.
Behind the scenes #3 – a new staff structure and we’re recruiting!
To help us get on with the work coming up, and to get ready for our new strategy, we’ve agreed a new staff structure and are recruiting. We’re particularly keen on receiving applications for two key roles in the team - the technical and training officer and the outreach and partnerships officer. The deadline for both is midnight, Monday, 5th April.