Limit fruits that have a lot of fructose, such as grapes, bananas and apples. To curb hunger and raise your glucose levels between meals, try splitting an apple in half and storing the other half with a few drops of lemon juice to prevent browning for later use.*
Fresh Salad Recipe #4 Warm Squash Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Pepitas
1 small butternut squash.
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. walnut oil or hazelnut oil
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash. Cut it in half lengthwise, then scoop out and discard the seeds and fibers. Cut the squash into small slices or 1/2-inch cubes. In a steamer pan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Arrange the squash pieces on the steamer rack, place over the boiling water, cover and steam until just slightly tender when pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the squash from the steamer and let cool.
2. Preheat an oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Place the squash pieces on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and turn to coat. Roast, turning the squash pieces over once, until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. In a large salad bowl, using a fork, mix together the balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbs. olive oil, the walnut oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add the spinach and toss to coat well.
5. Top with the warm squash pieces, the cheese and a sprinkling of pepitas. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
*Recipe Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day, by Georgeanne Brennan (Weldon Owen, 2012).
“It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.” ~John Wooden
Our hope is that these daily emails help and encourage you to stick with your low carb New Years Resolution. Our goal is to SERVE you and not ANNOY you! We will send an email each day ONLY for January, returning to our regular scheduled 1-2 newsletters per month in February. You can unsubscribe from this list, but we encourage you to re-subscribe in February, so you don't miss our monthly newsletter featuring coupon codes, specials and updates. Thank you for your support!