This is a time for remembering. We just commemorated those who served in our armed forces and have sacrificed their lives for our freedoms and our way of life. Next, we will honor our nation's flag and our fathers and prepare to celebrate the birth of our country. Yet, memory itself is a funny thing. It is not always reliable. Court witnesses can see the same event and remember it quite differently. Our memories are also very powerful. They can color our past and influence our future (and the future of others) for generations to come. Here's hoping your memories of your past at Snow College will lead you to give generously to support its future and make a difference in the lives of students for generations to come. Click HERE to see some of the ways you can make a difference.
Memory Is a Funny Thing...
Here are a few inspirational quotes in honor of our nation's heroes:
1. "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." --Joseph Campbell
2. "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." --Elmer Davis
3. "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle." --H. Norman Schwarzkopf
4. "Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart." --Washington Irving
5. "I've never tried to block out the memories of the past, even though some are painful. Everything you live through helps to make you the person you are now." --Sophia Loren
6. "Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." --G.K. Chesterton
7. "Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well." --Jennifer M. Granholm
8. "Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours." --Wallace Bruce
9. "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." --Bruce Lee
10. "I am going to take something I learned over in Israel. Their Independence Day is preceded the 24 hours before with a Memorial Day, so it gives them a chance to serve and reflect and THEN celebrate. I am going to try to start that tradition here in America. --Glenn Beck