Is it really May? As we finish up our events for the year, and prepare for summer, I hope you have some fond memories of this past year. May is always exciting and busy, and filled with happy feelings of accomplishment, both for ourselves and for our students. It’s been a wonderful year of growth for DVMTA. We have welcomed new members, and look forward to getting to know them. We had fabulous events this year, including Music Marathon, Composition Festival, December Luncheon, Cavalcade of Rhythm, Awards in Excellence, and we look forward to Achievement Day and Awards Plus this weekend and next week. I can’t thank enough all those who have volunteered to make these events so successful. Our Brunches were outstanding, and I want to thank Linda Carpenter and her committee for our recent April Brunch. The General Meeting topics were so helpful and fun. Thank you to Bren Palmer for her insight in bringing you relevant topics presented by amazing guests and friends.
We had many changes to the website, and we look forward to making it even more comprehensive and beneficial for you. We really want to thank Darin Palmer and John Gardner of Intermountain Retail Solutions, and Bren Palmer and Tammy Shorts for their advisement and direction. Event dates for next year will be posted to the website in July.
The greatest DVMTA moments for me this past year have been being able to associate with and learn from so many talented and amazing friends and peers, who give so much to DVMTA. This organization doesn’t happen without the dedication and service of so many, and I truly appreciate all you do.
I wish everyone a wonderful, safe and blessed summer, and look forward to seeing you again at our August Brunch, Friday, August 18th to begin a new year!
-Shannon Payne, DVMTA President
As a reminder, certain event documents, including some for Achievement Day, are only available to current members, and members are required to log in to access them. If you already set up your password in the last year you should be fine to log in using your existing password. You can reset the password if you have forgotten. Members who did not create a log in and password since the site changed last year, should have been sent an email with the link to set this up. If there are any problems please email the support link on the website, or email Shannon Payne. All documents just for members are labeled “Member Documents” and can be found under the Member tab. Any documents that are useful to families and the public are still found on each Event page of the website.
Your 2016-2017 DVMTA membership is current through July 31st
, however, registration for the 2017-2018 year has begun. Keep in mind that the annual price for membership is now $50, but if you renew by July 1st
, there is a $5 discount, and the cost will be $45. The fee for new members is $45. Registration involves filling out the new registration form and making your payment. You may register online or you can download the form from the website, print it out, and mail it with a check. You may also pay the fee using the DVMTA Paypal Account:firstname.lastname@example.org
. The printed form allows you to make an optional donation to the Janeen Noble Scholarship Fund. Remember, you can go to the website under Members and Membership List to print out a current list of active DVMTA members and their phone, email, and address.
As a DVMTA member, you have the opportunity to participate in the Online Referral System which provides interested students and parents with your email, preferred phone number, and a personal biography about yourself and your studio. If you register online, you will be able to submit your information automatically. If you fill out a paper form, remember to email your information to Tammy Shorts at email@example.com
When you fill out the registration form, you will be able to choose two committees to serve on. (These would be additional committees besides Cavalcade and Achievement Day which are required if your student participates) This is a wonderful way to be involved, to get to know fellow DVMTA members, and to provide assistance to our busy committee chairpersons. We have added Social Media and Technology committees. We would also like to provide new members with a mentor if they would like one. A mentor would be a resource that a new member could utilize for information about DVMTA events and activities. The mentor could also guide the new member to the appropriate person to answer their question. We want our new members to feel welcome and not overwhelmed. Members in our Hospitality and Membership committees could serve as mentors so consider serving on these committees.
Achievement Day 2017 – Final Important Reminders
We are just days away from Achievement Day, so this is my last chance to share words of wisdom to help make it a great day for you and your students! Since I shared a great amount of detail about the day in the April Newsletter, this month I would like to highlight the “essentials for success”!
- VENUE CHANGE – Make sure you and your students’ families are aware that the event is taking place in the PERFORMING ARTS CENTER at Mesa Community College located south of Southern off of Longmore. All families should be given maps, and you should point out the locations of the options in which their students are participating. Also, tell parents that they may escort their children up to the second floor for evaluations and options, but then parents should take a seat in the amphitheater to avoid congestion on the 2nd floor. (The amphitheater is the large open area to the right of the lobby. It is fully visible from the 2nd floor and there is ample seating.)
- EAR TRAINING TESTS – Make sure your families are aware that Level 4 and 5 tests have been added to the live testing schedule. This means that there is only one testing time per hour for each level. Helping Level P – 5 parents plan for the ear training test is even more important than planning for the evaluation time this year. Make sure that parents are aware of the fact that if they miss the ear training test, they need to wait a full hour to catch the next one. If students are a few minutes late to their evaluation time, however, this is not as great of a problem. The student will simply be put in line in time order, and be evaluated close to schedule. All other options can be completed at any time during the morning.
- EVALUATION FORMS – I included in the packets one copy of all forms needed for the day EXCEPT the evaluation forms for duets and original composition. If your students have chosen duets or original composition, you will need to print these forms from the website. It is necessary to log in, choose “Member Documents” from the My Account box and find the forms in the Achievement Day folder. These forms are no longer publicly accessible. You will need to copy all evaluation forms for all of your students and fill in the bold areas for them to take to Achievement Day.
- GREEN OPTION SHEETS – Make sure all students come to Achievement Day with their green option sheets filled out. This is like their “time card” that verifies they have completed each task so they are qualified to receive their awards! I highly suggest writing a suggested ear training time on the green option sheet for students in Level P – 5 that are completing that option. That way, if they are being evaluated before the ear training test, the time on the green option sheet can alert the evaluator to make sure to keep within the 10 - 12 minute evaluation window so that the student can make it to the test on time. Also, stress to the students that each of their options needs to be signed and the sheet needs to be turned in at the information table before leaving.
- TEACHER REMINDERS FOR EVENT DAY – Arrive by 6:45 am to adjust to your new work area. You may have to arrange things to your liking! The event begins at 7:00 am. When the event is complete, you must check in with the information table and be cleared for leaving. You will be given all of the evaluation sheets, tests, etc. for your students. It is important to check that you have all items for all students and you don’t have anything extra! Pick up your trophies in the snack room, which is located inside the Library/Workroom on the second floor. It is to the right as you walk in. If you know a child has not shown up or has not passed the requirements for a trophy, please leave the trophy behind so it can be used next year.
Using the Student Check Sheet that I included in your packets this year should help eliminate a lot of potential problems in preparation. I highly suggest using it!
I’d like to thank all of the people that have helped me organize Achievement Day this year! Thanks to Beth Christensen and Linda Schow, my committee members, who took some of the big jobs off of my shoulders! Thanks to Hillary Bitter who volunteered to help me set up on the Friday before! And a BIG thanks to Beth VanDerwerker who will be filling in for me on the day of the event so I can attend my daughter’s college graduation! Also, a big thanks goes out to all of you who make this event possible through your willingness to “work” the event! I feel blessed to be working with such a great group of people!
If you have any questions or concerns, please call me, Carolyn Rooder – 602-527-1721 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Have a great Achievement Day!
All are invited to recognize our Devoted Performers and our Senior Scholars at our Awards Plus presentations, Monday May 15 at 7:00 pm in the multipurpose room of Legacy Retirement Residence of Mesa, 5625 E McKellips Rd. This year we will recognize 18 Devoted Performers and 2 Senior Scholars from 6 different DVMTA teachers. These students have devoted countless hours of practice, and their parents and teachers are to be commended for supporting and helping them. Our DVMTA events thrive because of dedicated students, parents, and teachers like these. Thank you!
Sizzling Hot Tunes
Summer is the perfect time to have your students
create/improvise and write down
their ideas on staff paper
or notate on the computer
DVMTA Original Composition Festival
Compositions are due in October
Recitals are held in November
Get a head start and be amazed!