I trust that you are well. despite the ongoing challenges.
Lockdowns, tiers, bubbles, the rule of six and the myriad daily dose of statistics; when will it all end?! One has to be positive in the sense that as each day passes, we are a day closer to the end of this dreadful pandemic.
And there is still the opportunity to take a break in the UK with David or Barney and to enjoy some ‘DSG escapism’. Furthermore, with a simple Grant Shapps tweet, the landscape for early 2021 changes! More of this in a moment but let me firstly summarise the remaining opportunities for a ‘DSG Staycation’ golf event. I will illustrate the opportunities in date order and you will find the details and itineraries on the website.
Sun 1st Nov x 3 nights – Classic Heathland Golf Tour (Hosted by Barney)
- This tour presents the opportunity to play three of the finest heathland courses in England, namely Sherwood Forest Golf Club, Coxmoor Golf Club and The Notts (Hollinwell) Golf Club.
- The hotel for the tour is the charming Forest Lodge Hotel in the village of Edwinstowe in Sherwood Forest. With the rooms that we have booked, we virtually have the run of the hotel and the Restaurant; hence it allows for a personable stay, albeit within the context of the current social distancing guidelines.
- We have a number of clients booked for the full tour, a few for a shorter duration and other clients simply joining for the golf only. If you would like to join the trip for any duration of your choosing, please let me know.
Sun 8th Nov x 3 nights – Belton Woods Golf & Coaching Event (Hosted by David)
- Out of adversity occasionally comes opportunity. With the Staverton Park Hotel closed due to the coronavirus, we moved the ‘Golf & Coaching’ programme to the Belton Woods Hotel, near Grantham, and it has proved to be a great success. David hosts the final ‘Golf & Coaching’ event from Sunday 8th November and there are currently two remaining places for the event.
- With the hotel and Golf Club reopening more of their teaching facilities next year, Belton Woods is likely to be our UK Golf & Coaching home for some time to come.
Sun 8th Nov x 7 nights – Cornwall Golf Tour (Hosted by Barney)
- As an adopted Cornishman (40 years’ service living in the County … just enough to qualify), I can say with confidence, do not go to Cornwall in August, because school holidays mean one thing… rain. The best time to go is the spring and the autumn. I am not going to guarantee good weather in the first week in November, but equally, you may well be very pleasantly surprised (please!).
- The focus is on links golf, with the stunning coastal settings of Trevose, Perranporth and St Enodoc, as well as the thoroughly enjoyable parkland challenge of Lanhydrock golf course.
- The accommodation for the week is the golf centric Trevose Golf & Country Club, with their spacious and modern apartments and super Clubhouse and Restaurant.
- There will also be an emphasis on cuisine during the week, with so many highly renowned restaurants in the vicinity. Rick Stein’s famous Seafood Restaurant is already booked for the group for the Thursday evening for example.
- Please note that shorter duration of stays can certainly be arranged. If you would like to stay for two or three nights for example, please let me know and I will amend your tour cost accordingly.
Sun 15th Nov x 7 nights – North Devon Golf Tour (Hosted by Barney)
- As with the Cornish tour, the coastline of North Devon is stunning at any time, and still retains its charm and character in the autumn. Living by the sea, no two days are the same, and playing the two Saunton courses, Royal North Devon, England’s oldest links course still played on its original land, and the dramatic cliff-top course at Ilfracombe, will not disappoint.
- The golf is complimented by the super 4-star Imperial Hotel in Barnstaple, owned by the Brend Hotel Group, the leading hoteliers in the West Country.
- As with the Cornish tour, if you would prefer to attend for a shorter duration, this is absolutely no problem at all and please just let me know your requirements and I will reprice the tour accordingly.
And so now onto Mr Shapps latest tweet! As you are no doubt now aware travel to the Canary Islands is now permitted without the need to quarantine on return. Not only that, being on the ‘Green List’ also ensures that travel insurance policies remain valid. We also remain very hopeful that the Algarve will also find its way onto the ‘Green List’, given that the region has been largely unaffected by the virus, relative to other parts of Portugal and Europe.
The availability of the Canaries though has changed our thinking and planning though for late January and for February. The January events in Portugal are confirmed, and we wish to seek your interest in the four events for the Canaries, two in Tenerife and two in Gran Canaria, which are illustrated below:
Proposed January / February Events
- Sat 23rd Jan x 7 nights: Tenerife Golf & Coaching Week (Hosted by Barney)
- Sat 30th Jan x 7 nights: Tenerife Golf Week (Hosted by Barney)
- Sat 20th Feb x 7 nights: Gran Canaria Gourmet Golf Week (Hosted by David)
- Sat 27th Feb x 7 nights: Gran Canaria Gourmet Golf Week (Hosted by David)
If the weeks in Tenerife or Gran Canaria are of interest, please let me know and we will then firm up on these weeks. Apart from the advantage of not having to quarantine, flights to destinations on the ‘green list’ are far less likely to be cancelled, thus giving added confidence that the trip will proceed.
Although the overseas programme for April is confirmed (two weeks at the Costa Navarino Resort in Greece), we will wait another month before confirming the programme for March. The closer we get to December 1st, the better idea we will have of which destinations will become available with the new pre and post travel testing policy. If at all possible, we want to focus on ‘green list’ locations to provide the maximum confidence possible that a trip will proceed.
As the UK season draws to a close, may I take this opportunity on behalf of all of the DSG team to thank you for your patience, understanding and support in these most challenging of times.
David, Barney and myself will be in touch again towards the end of next month to provide an update on the Festive tour opportunities, as well as the January to March schedule. They are also updating the blog on their return from the trips as usual.
In the meantime, if you would like to book places on any of the forthcoming trips, or if you have any queries or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.