BFSC NEEDS YOUR HELP
URGENT NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS!
CRISIS MEMBERSHIP MEETING
THURSDAY, MAY 18 @ 7 p.m.
Dear Skaters, Coaches, Parents and Friends,
Our beloved Club is in crisis. Not a membership crisis - we have more than 130 members, one of the highest rolls in recent history. Not a financial crisis - we are financially sound, with a small nest egg in the bank. We reliably offer 7 hours of ice time each week. In addition to beginners, recreational, synchro, collegiate and adult skaters, we have two nationally ranked skaters, several members competing at Adult Nationals, former National Champions, U.S. Figure Skating national level judges, officials and committee members, and 22 registered coaches. Instead, we face a volunteer crisis - we simply do not have enough volunteers to sustain the operations of the Club.
VACANT BOARD POSITIONS
- We currently have an acting Board Secretary and Coach Liaison, and at least two vacant seats on the Board.
- After the Chesapeake Open, we will have several more vacancies:
- I am stepping down as President and Board member.
- Barbara Leonard, our long-term Test Chair, Board member and past President is retiring.
- Long-time Treasurer and Board member Judy Carrig plans to retire soon.
SERVICES THAT NEED LEADERS TO AVOID CANCELLATION
MEETING AND CONTACTS TO VOLUNTEER
- CHECK-IN AT THE RINK: We have had no check-in volunteers for several months. Starting this summer, if we do not have a check-in volunteer for a session, the session will be cancelled.
- TEST SESSIONS: We cannot schedule test sessions without one or two Test Chairs as well as volunteers for test sessions. In 2016-17, we offered six test sessions, and we would like to do the same for next year. However, we can only schedule tests for which we have a Test Chair.
- COACH LIAISON: We have had no Coach Liaison for several months. This role is critical to ensure that coaches are properly credentialed for the 2017-18 membership year.
- EVENTS, SHOWCASE, WEBSITE & AWARDS: We also need volunteers to organize our parties and exhibitions, maintain the Club showcase at the rink, handle the website and take care of Club annual awards.
- To help address your concerns about this crisis, we invite you to a Membership Meeting on Thursday, May 18 at 7 p.m., upstairs in the Coaches’ Room at Mt. Pleasant. During the meeting, Officers and Board members will review the Club’s situation, including its finances and commitments, and answer any questions you may have.
- To volunteer to serve as an Officer, Board member or Test Chair, please contact a member of the Club Nominating Committee: Dennis Glorioso (email: firstname.lastname@example.org), Judy Carrig (email: email@example.com), or Jen Coyne (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please contact Judy Carrig (email: email@example.com) to volunteer for check-in or at a test session.