SAVE THE DATE - 2 PARTIES!
We're so excited to be celebrating Earth Day and our 2nd anniversary this year. Naturally, this calls for 2 parties! We'll be throwing an Earth Day happy hour at our office at Impact Hub in Chinatown, DC from 6-9 pm on April 22nd. There will be delicious food from our farmers, local booze, music and fun! Get your tickets for that here. Invite your friends, your family, and anyone else that wants to raise a glass to local food systems and the farmers that make it possible.
Next party: Do you want to see where your eggs and meat come from? On April 30th, we are partnering with Jesse from Whiffletree Farm
to throw the Squawker Party at his farm in Warrenton, Virginia. It will be an all day event featuring food trucks, live music, and a celebration of the farm. Before the event, we want to give you guys an exclusive chance to take a peek inside our warehouse, and see how your fruits and veggies make it from the farmer to you. Get your tickets for this party here
ICE CREAM IN THE DAIRY SHARE!
We are so excited to announce that we will include delicious, grass-fed ice cream from Trickling Springs
in our dairy share this week! The ice cream will be packed in a separate box in the dairy cooler, to keep the ice cream frozen and the rest of the items chilled. Please be aware that the ice cream will be surrounded by DRY ICE WHICH SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED WITH BARE HANDS.
You can simply leave the ice in the mini box and return everything to us. This is a trial run, so please bear with us and let us know how it goes. If the ice cream is a little soft when you get it, just pop it in the freezer and it will harden right back up and be ready to enjoyed. We love this ice cream, and want you to try it too. The 4pFoods team has been known to devour entire ice cream containers in just one sitting...
POPPING CORN ON THE COB
We received specific instructions from our farmer on how to prepare this popcorn on the cob. Lightly coat in oil or butter, put in a brown paper bag and cook in the microwave for up to 4 min (be sure to watch it so it doesn't overcook!). However, Martha Stewart gives some great instructions on how to pop corn right off the cob (a slightly different method). So check out this instructional video
and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Love zucchini and shallots but don't love lacinato kale? No worries! We can swap out any produce item for more of a different one. Just email email@example.com with your delivery location and what you don't like, and we'll try our best to accommodate you. Don't knock Lacinato kale until you try it. Of all the kale varieties (and there are a lot of them) we probably love lacinato the most. Typically used in italian cooking, it's great for pesto
, rustic Tuscan soup
, or in this salad
with Ricotta and shallots. Kale yeah!
HOT WINTER WATERMELON RADISHES
This week in your bag you'll find hot winter watermelon radishes from No. 1 Sons
in Arlington, VA. They thinly slice these pink radishes and ferment them with their Kicky Kosher pickle spices, which means a lot of garlic, chili flakes and black pepper! It's a funky heat. This was their favorite of their small batch winter radishes, so we hope you'll like it. Let us know what you think!
FOOD LABELS BLOG POST
Our lovely intern Annabel spent this week combing the internet and researching food labels, and what they mean. She created this nifty guide
for produce, eggs and protein to help you decipher what all those food labels really mean for you, the planet, and the animals. It's important to understand food labels, because it's the bridge between you and the product - it helps you make better decisions, and forces the producer to adhere to certain standards. We hope you find it interesting and resourceful!
That's all for now. Please continue to share you wonderful recipes, stories, questions, and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.
Thanks for all your support.
-Tom & the 4P Foods Team
You can expect some or all (weather pending) of the following this week:
- Fancy Green Zucchini (Certified Organic) - Bryson Farms, Labelle, FL
- Fresh Sage (Certified Organic) - Shenandoah Herbs, Harrisonburg, VA
- Garnet Sweet Potatoes (Certified Organic) - Blackwater Farm, Baxley, GA
- Granny Smith Apples - Thornton River Orchards, Sperryville, VA
- Green Butterhead Lettuce (Certified Organic) - Fresh2o Growers, Stevensburg, VA
- Lacinato Kale (Certified Organic) - Bryson Farms, Labelle, FL
- Pickled Watermelon Radishes - No.1 Sons, Arlington, VA
- Popcorn On the Cob (Certified Organic) - Sweetaire Farm, Nottingham, PA
- Red French Shallots(Certified Organic) - Help From Above Farm, Three Springs, PA
- Valencia Oranges (Certified Organic) - Uncle Matt's Organics, Clermont, Fl
+Eggs (Half Dozen or Dozen available with Protein or Dairy Share Only) from Whiffletree Farm.
- Breakfast Sage Sausage Links - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm, Sperryville, VA
- Free-Range Ground Turkey (Certified Organic & Humane) - Ayrshire Farms, Upperville, VA
- Grassfed Ground Beef - Thistle Creek Farm, Tyrone, PA
- Thistle Creek, located in Tyrone, PA is run by Farmer Lake. Farmer Lake is a retired Marine Colonel and commercial airline pilot for Continental Airlines, who has turned his attention to producing high quality grass fed beef.
- Grassfed Lamb Steaks- Sunrise Farm, Stuarts Draft, VA
- Pastured Pork Chops - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm, Sperryville, VA
- Organic Mozzarella (Cow) - Hope Springs Farm, East Earl, PA
- Half Gallon Whole Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Thyme & Sage Infused Chevre (Goat) - Cherry Glen Farms, Boyds, MD
- Raw Colby Cheese (Cow) - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Salted Caramel ICE CREAM - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Organic, Lowfat Yogurt Smoothies (Berry Banana, Blueberry Tart, Vanilla) - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Unsweetened, Plain available by request
Peas and love,
The 4P Foods Team