SAVE THE DATE - 2 PARTIES!
We're so excited to be celebrating Earth Day and our 2nd anniversary this year. Naturally, this calls for 2 parties! We'll be throwing an Earth Day happy hour at our office at Impact Hub in Chinatown, DC from 6-9 pm on April 22nd. There will be delicious food from our farmers, local booze, music and fun! Get your tickets for that here. Invite your friends, your family, and anyone else that wants to raise a glass to local food systems and the farmers that make it possible.
Next party: Do you want to see where your eggs and meat come from? On April 30th, we are partnering with Jesse from Whiffletree Farm
to throw the Squawker party at his farm in Warrenton, Virginia. It will be an all day event featuring food trucks, live music, and a celebration of the farm. Before the event, we want to give you guys an exclusive chance to take a peek inside our warehouse, and see how your fruits and veggies make it from the farmer to you. More details TBA!
HELPFUL COOKING RESOURCES
Have you ever wondered how to chop an onion in under 2 minutes
, or de-stem greens
Appetit did a great series of videos
for every kitchen technique you'll ever need. Even if you're an experienced cook, it can be helpful to see how to perfectly poach an egg
, quarter a chicken
, or sear a steak
. For more in-depth knowledge, The Kitchn's Cooking School
covers 20 essential topics such as knife skills
, how to cook eggs
, and use techniques such as steaming
. Easy to follow with videos, recipes and photos, it's a great refresher or introductory guide to improving your cooking skills. Devote a Saturday or Sunday to perfecting your skills, and whip up amazing dinners such as this one.
Love jerusalem artichokes and bell peppers but don't love shiitake mushrooms? No worries! We can swap out any produce item for more of a different one. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with what you don't like, and we'll try our best to accommodate you. Don't knock shiitake mushrooms til you try them. Of all the mushrooms we love (and there are a lot of them) we probably use shiitake mushrooms the most. The descriptor "meaty" gets thrown around a lot when we talk about mushrooms, but shiitakes, more than any other, embody a satisfying umami you can't really get from any other plant-based food. Have you tried making them this way
This week in your bag you'll find apple butter from Paradox Farm in Lexington, VA. Their goal is to raise the tastiest, most wholesome food, harvested ripe and delivered fresh. Not only are they local, but they are also certified naturally grown and use only biological farming methods (no chemical pesticides, herbicides, fertlizer or hormones!) Try the apple butter in a PB&J instead of the jam, or stir it into oatmeal with a little cinnamon. It's also great glazed on pork chops.
You can stop by the farm anytime, just give them a call at 971-322-5275 before. They are located at 118 Moores Creek Rd, Lexington, VA.
That's all for now. Please continue to share you wonderful recipes, stories, questions, and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.
Thanks for all your support.
-Tom & the 4P Foods Team
You can expect some or all (weather pending) of the following this week:
- Artisanal Apple Butter - Paradox Farm, Lexington, VA
- Green Bell Pepper (Certified Organic) - Bryson Family Farms, Labelle, FL
- Jerusalem Artichokes (Certified Organic) - Lancaster Farms, Lancaster PA
- Purple Carrots - Second Spring Farm, Wheatland, VA
- Rainbow Chard (Certified Organic) - Bryson Family Farms, Labelle, FL
- Red Roasting Potatoes - Valley Farming, Rockingham, VA
- Shiitake Mushrooms (Certified Organic) - Mother Earth Organics, Landenberg, PA
- Temple Tangerines (Certified Organic) - Uncle Matt's Organic, Clermont, FL
- Yellow Cured Onions (Certified Organic) - Windy Hollow Organics, Kirkwood, PA
+Eggs (Half Dozen or Dozen available with Protein or Dairy Share Only) from Whiffletree Farm.
- 100% Grassfed New York Strip Steak - Sunrise Farms, Stuarts Draft, VA
- Cured & Smoked Bacon - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm - Sperryville, VA
- Free Range Ground Bison Meat - Cibola Farms, Culpeper, VA
- Fully Pastured Chicken Leg Quarters - Lancaster Family Farms, Leola, PA
- Pastured Pork Andouille Grillers - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm - Sperryville, VA
- Raw Gouda(Cow) - Green Acres Farm, Ronks, PA
- Hand-Dipped Farmstead Chevre (Goat) - Cherry Glen Farms, Boyds, MD
- Organic Whipped Cream - Natural By Nature, Newark, DE
- Smoked Raw Cheddar(Cow) - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Half Gallon Whole Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Pequea Valley Yogurts(Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach) - King Family Farm, Ronks, PA
- Plain Available by Request
- Organic, Lowfat Mango Peach Smoothie (By Popular Demand) – Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Unsweetened Plain Available by Request
Peas and love,
The 4P Foods Team