REFER A FRIEND GET 10$ OFF- EXPIRES THE 26TH!
We are offering 10$ off
to anyone who refers a friend, apartment or office building. Your friend will also get 10$ off
their new share when they enter the promo code "HAPPYCSADAY
" - and so will you. Interested in trying out the protein or dairy share? (bacon! cheese!) Add a new share until Feb 26th and get 1o$ off. Email email@example.com
with the referrals, and she'll make sure you get your discount.
SAVE THE DATE - 2 PARTIES!
We're so excited to be celebrating Earth day and our 2nd anniversary this year. Naturally, this calls for 2 parties! We'll be throwing an Earth day happy hour at our office at Impact Hub in Chinatown, DC from 6-9 pm on April 22nd. There will be delicious food from our farmers, local booze, music and fun! Get your tickets for that here.
Do you want to see where your eggs and meat come from? On April 30th, we are partnering with Jesse from Whiffletree Farm
to throw the Squawker party at his farm in Warrenton, Virginia. It will be an all day event featuring food trucks, live music, and a celebration of the farm. Before the event, we want to give you guys an exclusive chance to take a peek inside our warehouse, and see how your fruits and veggies make it from the farmer to you. More details TBA!
UNDERGROUND GREENS - PEPPER BOMB MIX
This week in your bags you'll find microgreens from Underground Greens
. Started by Maryna Higgins in 2015 out of a warehouse in Union Market, Maryna's microgreens are flavorful, sustainable and local. Maryna is from Belarus, and grew up eating fresh fruits and vegetables from her family's garden. When she moved to the US, she was shocked by how little people knew about how fruits and vegetables are grown, or what it means to eat seasonally. Working in DC as an accountant, she had no backyard to grow in, so started growing microgreens in her apartment because they're easy to take care of. On a flight to Europe one day, she read about two guys in London
who were starting an underground hydroponic farm growing microgreens in forgotten World War 2 bomb shelters. She was incredibly inspired by this, and felt that she could recreate the same in DC. So, Underground Greens
was born. For recipe inspiration, check out the recipe section of Underground Greens' site.
GROW YOUR HEALTH EVENT
On March 5th, we are super excited to be a part of the Grow Your Health festival in Fairfax. The festival is dedicated to teaching people how to grow their own food, or identify sources of locally grown, organic farm-grown food (like ours!) for a joyful and nutritious diet. The Festival will provide tips on how people can garden their way to good health, understand what “organic” really means, find sources for local organic food and make sustainable, healthy food and wellness choices! The festival will include a screening of "Growing Cities" an award winning documentary about urban farming. Come say stop by and say hi at our table! Get your tickets here.
Love Butternut Squash and berry jam but don't love turnips? No worries! We can swap out any produce item for more of a different one. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with what you don't like, and we'll try our best to accommodate you. Don't knock turnips til you try them - not only are they a totally delicious low-carb alternative to potatoes, but turnips are also packed with vitamin C, folate, and potassium. Have you tried making them this way
SOUTH AFRICAN BILTONG
Never had Biltong before? You're in for a treat! Imagine the best beef jerky ever: that's biltong right there. Made from locally raised beef eye round marinated in malt vinegar and rubbed with curing salt, coriander, and garlic, this stuff is addicting.
That's all for now. Please continue to share you wonderful recipes, stories, questions, and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.
Thanks for all your support.
-Tom & the 4P Foods Team
You can expect some or all (weather pending) of the following this week:
- Berry Jam(Certified Organic) - Oakview Acres, Strasburg, PA
- Bunched Red Beets(Certified Organic) - Lancaster Farm Fresh Coop, Lancaster, PA
- Butternut Squash - Cassell Farms, HIllsville, VA
- Granny Smith Apples(IPM) - Kauffman's Fruit Farm, Bird In Hand, PA
- Gold Turnips - Second Spring Farm, Wheatland, VA
- Kossak Kohlrabi - Second Spring Farm, Wheatland, VA
- Red Grapefruit(Certified Organic) - Uncle Matt's Organics, Clermont, FL
- Red Oak Leaf Lettuce(Certified Organic) - Fresh2o Growers, Stevensburg, VA
- "Pepper Bomb" Microgreens - Underground Greens, Washington, DC
+Eggs (Half Dozen or Dozen available with Protein or Dairy Share Only) from Whiffletree Farm.
- 100% Grass Fed Ground Beef - Whiffletree Farm, Warrenton, VA
- African Biltong (The Best Beef Jerky of your Life!) - Straw Stick & Brick, Washington, DC
- Free-Range Boneless Chicken Breast(Certified Organic) - Ayrshire Farms, Upperville, VA
- Pastured Pork Chorizo - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm, Sperryville, VA
- Pork Breakfast Maple Patties - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm - Sperryville, VA
- Organic Baby Swiss - Hope Springs Farm, East Earl, PA
- Organic Grass-Fed COW Ricotta Cheese - Natural By Nature, Newark, DE
- Organic Grass-Fed Sour Cream - Natural By Nature, Newark, DE
- Half Gallon Whole Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- QT Whole Goat Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Unsalted Organic Butter - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Berry Banana & Blueberry Tart Lowfat Organic Yogurt Smoothies – Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Unsweetened Plain Available by Request
Peas and love,
The 4P Foods Team