SAVE THE DATE - 2 PARTIES!
We're so excited to be celebrating Earth Day and our 2nd anniversary this year. Naturally, this calls for 2 parties! We'll be throwing an Earth Day happy hour at our office at Impact Hub in Chinatown, DC from 6-9 pm on April 22nd. There will be delicious food from our farmers, local booze, music and fun! Get your tickets for that here. Invite your friends, your family, and anyone else that wants to raise a glass to local food systems and the farmers that make it possible.
Next party: Do you want to see where your eggs and meat come from? On April 30th, we are partnering with Jesse from Whiffletree Farm
to throw the Squawker Party at his farm in Warrenton, Virginia. It will be an all day event featuring food trucks, live music, and a celebration of the farm. Before the event, we want to give you guys an exclusive chance to take a peek inside our warehouse, and see how your fruits and veggies make it from the farmer to you. Get your tickets for this party here
FRUITCYCLE GRANOLA OR APPLE CHIPS
This week in your bag you'll find either Cinnamon Pecan Granola or Snack-Sized Apple Chips from Fruitcycle
, a Washington DC based social enterprise that makes delicious, healthy, locally sourced snacks. They focus on using produce that would otherwise go to waste, and provide jobs for women who have been formerly incarcerated, homeless, or are otherwise disadvantaged. Here at 4PFoods we are constantly thinking about the huge amount of food waste created while 1 in 6 Americans go hungry, and support Fruitcycle's mission wholeheartedly to tackle both issues. To top all that, Fruitcycle's apple chips are tasty and healthy with no fat, added sugars, or artificial ingredients. And they’re gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free too.
ENVIRONMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL
DC is hosting the 24th Annual Environmental Film Festival
from March 15-26, 2016. For over 20 years, the Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital has played a critical role in bringing together filmmakers, policymakers, scientists, educators, and citizens committed to the future of our planet. There will be 150 films from 33 countries, as well as over 100 guest speakers. Check out the film festival lineup
to register for movie screenings and events. Many are free!
Love tomatoes and cucumbers but don't love grapefruit? No worries! We can swap out any produce item for more of a different one. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your delivery location
and what you don't like, and we'll try our best to accommodate you. Did you know that enjoying one grapefruit a day can help lower "bad" LDL cholesterol levels by 15.5% and triglycerides by 27%, according to a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
But you probably don't like grapefruits because you haven't tried making them this way yet
. Or this way
. Grapefruits rock.
HAMILTON HEIGHTS BLOG POST
is an all star farmer. Supplying milk to Trickling Springs Creamery
, Cliff raises pastured dairy cows and is a mentor for other farmers in the area. We had a chance to visit Cliff's dairy farm and hear about his life and work. Check out the blog post
to read about a farmer who we admire for what he does for the environment and his cows.
That's all for now. Please continue to share you wonderful recipes, stories, questions, and ideas with us. We love hearing from you.
Thanks for all your support.
-Tom & the 4P Foods Team
You can expect some or all (weather pending) of the following this week:
- Cinnamon Pecan Granola or Snack-Sized Apple Chips - Together We Bake, Alexandria, VA
- Fuji Apples - Kauffman's Fruit Farm, Bird In Hand, PA
- Green Beans(Certified Organic) - Little Cypress Organics, Clewiston, Fl
- Hydroponic Tomatoes - Yoder's Farm, Rustburg, VA
- Purple Sweet Potatoes - Wayne's Produce, Jarratt, VA
- Red Batavia Lettuce(Certified Organic) - Fresh2o Growers, Stevensburg, VA
- Red Florida Grapefruits(Certified Organic) - Uncle Matt's Organics, Clermont, FL
- Slicing Cucumbers -
- Yellow Carrots(Certified Organic) - Valley View Farm, Peach Bottom, PA
- Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, Wild-Caught - Bristol Bay, AK through Whiffletree Farms, Warrenton, VA
- Bone-In Free-Range Chicken Drumsticks(Certified Organic & Humane) - Ayrshire Farms, Upperville, VA
- Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast(Certified Organic & Humane) - Shenandoah Valley Organics, Harrisonburg, VA
- Pastured, Smoked Ham Steak - Whiffletree Farm, Warrenton, VA
- Pastured Sweet Italian Pork Grillers - Clark's Old Peach Tree Farm, Sperryville, VA
+Eggs (Half Dozen or Dozen available with Protein or Dairy Share Only) from Whiffletree Farm.
- Half Gallon Whole Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Farmstead Ricotta(Goat) - Cherry Glen Farm, Boyds, MD
- Dark Chocolate Milk - Trickling Springs Creamery, Chambersburg, PA
- Paquea Valley Yogurts, Assorted Flavors - King Family Farm, Ronks, PA
- Plain Yogurts available by Request
- Organic Monterey Jack(Cow) - Hope Springs Farm, East Earl, PA
- PA Noble D'Bauvabuh(Cow) - PA Noble, Leola, PA
- a sharp, irresistible cheddar from PA Noble, made in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This cheese is aged for 3 years to develop a unique flavor that works well baked into a casserole, sliced on a sandwich, or eaten with a glass of red wine. The cows at Riverview Farm roam freely on organic pasture, eating grass and enjoying the sunshine.
Peas and love,
The 4P Foods Team