What AICC Chicago Members Are Doing
February 21, 2017
If you are interested in business in the U.S. and in Israel, the America - Israel Chamber of Commerce Chicago is the place you want to be. Tell your friends!
In This Issue
Alyse A. Sagalchik, Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
525 W. Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60661-3693
After graduating summa cum laude from Vanderbilt University, Alyse Sagalchik obtained her juris doctor summa cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law. She began practicing as an attorney in 2012 and recently joined Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP as an associate in the firm’s Corporate Department.
At Katten, Alyse concentrates her practice on corporate matters, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and securities transactions. Alyse also advises companies on a broad range of general corporate, federal securities laws and corporate governance matters, including Securities Exchange Act of 1934 reporting and disclosure matters
She has represented strategic and financial buyers and sellers in M&A transactions ranging in value from $10 million to more than $15 billion and spanning a wide variety of industries, including health care, technology, telecommunications, aerospace, food and beverage, hotels and energy. In addition, Alyse maintains an active pro bono practice.
In 1974, 24 attorneys formed Katten Muchin Zavis in Chicago. Katten opened offices in Los Angeles, New York and Washington, DC in 1989. In 2002, Katten expanded the New York and Washington offices and established a presence in Charlotte, North Carolina by merging with Rosenman & Colin LLP to become Katten Muchin Zavis Rosenman.
On May 2, 2005, the firm became Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP. and in June 2005 established a presence in London - Katten Muchin Rosenman UK LLP. With the establishment of a Shanghai office in February 2012, Katten has a team of experienced attorneys permanently based in China. In 2012, Katten opened offices in Northern California to serve our growing environmental clientele in the area, and opened an office in Orange County. In 2013, Katten expanded its presence in Texas with the opening of Austin and Houston offices serving clients in its environmental practices.
Today, Katten is the full-service law firm our founding partners envisioned, with more than 600 attorneys in locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Stephen M. Simes, Therapix Biosciences Ltd.
Therapix Biosciences Ltd.
Stephen M. Simes has joined Therapix Biosciences Ltd. as a Board Director. Therapix is a public Israeli (traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange) specialty pharmaceutical company developing proprietary cannabinoid technologies in the treatment of central nervous system disorders.
Stephen Simes was invited to join the board based on his experience and expertise in building biopharma companies and to help build a Therapix U.S. presence with the objective of being listed on NASDAQ.
Mr. Simes served as Chief Executive Officer and a Director of RestorGenex Corporation from March 2014 to January 2016 when RestorGenex was sold, though merger, to Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc., creating a clinical-stage oncology-focused biotech company. RestorGenex was a public specialty biopharmaceutical company focused on developing products for oncology, ophthalmology, and dermatology.
From 1998 to 2013, Mr. Simes served as Vice Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer and a Director of BioSante Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a public specialty pharmaceutical company focused on developing products for women’s and men’s health and oncology that merged with ANI Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ANIP). From 1994 to 1997, Mr. Simes was President, Chief Executive Officer and a Director of Unimed Pharmaceuticals, Inc., (currently a wholly owned subsidiary of AbbVie) a company with a product focus on infectious diseases, AIDS, endocrinology and oncology. From 1989 to 1993, Mr. Simes was Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Gynex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a company which concentrated on the AIDS, endocrinology, urology and growth disorders markets. In 1993, Gynex was acquired by Savient Pharmaceuticals Inc. (formerly Bio-Technology General Corp.), and from 1993 to 1994, Mr. Simes served as Senior Vice President and director of Savient Pharmaceuticals Inc. Mr. Simes's career in the pharmaceutical industry started with G.D. Searle & Co. (now a part of Pfizer Inc.).
Mr. Simes earned his MBA in Marketing and Finance from New York University, having earlier received a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry at Brooklyn College of the City University of New York.
Kevin Sofen, W.S. Darley & Company
W.S. Darley & Company
325 Spring Lake Drive
Itasca, IL 60143
Kevin Sofen is the Business development Manager for W.S. Darley & Company, which since 1908 has been dedicated to serving the world’s Fire and Emergency Services and Defense organizations.
Darley is a family owned and operated business with corporate headquarters in Itasca, Illinois. Manufacturing and engineering operations are in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and Janesville, Iowa. Darley's extensive manufacturing expertise includes:
- Fire Equipment: See more at http://www.edarley.com. Generations of firefighters have relied on the Darley catalog as the ultimate source in product selection. Every edition includes an extensive list of new, must-have items for the fire, rescue and EMS professionals.
- Defense Equipment: See more at http://www.darleydefense.com. Darley has enjoyed a long, proud tradition of supplying mission critical equipment to our troops. In 2007, Darley was awarded the first of two major DLA contracts under the Tailored Logistics Support Program for both Fire and Emergency Services Equipment and Special Operational Equipment. Darley’s Defense Division gives maximum attention to this growing market. Darley's outside defense sales team is comprised exclusively of veterans who proudly served our country.
- Pumps & Custom Pump Solutions: Darley offers portables, floating, high-lift booster, engine driven, front mount, and midship pumps with flows from 60 to 3500 GPM and pressures up to 1200 PSI. In addition, all Darley midship pumps are UL ratable and meet NFPA requirements.
- Compressed Air Foam Systems (CAFS): See more at www.odinfoam.com. CAFS provide superior firefighting capabilities offering quicker knockdown and improved personnel and structural protection. Engineered for simplicity and performance, these systems are known for their reliability and high quality. The ODIN® Foam Division is the world’s leader in CAFS research and development and produces the safest and most reliable CAFS of any manufacturer today.
- The Ohler Pump Division: See more at www.ohlerpumps.com. Ohler manufactures dependable, rugged and powerful centrifugal pumps. They have produced thousands of pumps for the U.S. Military and U.S. Coast Guard, as well as many other industries, and recently manufactured over 1,500 refueling and potable water transfer pumps to the United States Marine Corps (USMC).
- Aparatus: Darley offers a full range of apparatus, including mini-pumpers, tankers, commercial and custom pumpers. They are known for building specialized apparatus that often includes compressed air foam systems and co-polymer bodies. These features are evident in Darley’s premier program series apparatus, which is called “The Firetruck”.
- Polybilt LLC.: See more at www.polybilt.com. In 2001, Darley partnered with ProPoly Inc. to start a new Company, Polybilt LLC. PolyBilt® has been manufacturing the latest state-of-the art truck products and bodies for the fire truck market. Polyprene™ provides for years of trouble-free service life and will not rust or corrode, ding, dent or crack.
- Water Purification Systems: In 2007 Darley received a Homeland Security Market Development Grant from the State of Illinois to develop a line of water purification systems. Darley has developed a complete line of quickly-deployable water purification systems that can be used by first responders and military professionals to aid in establishing and maintaining a potable water supply in the event of an emergency situation.