BIA Boundary Expansion Update
Dear BIA members,
As approved at the 2016 AGM, the BIA is pursuing an expansion of the BIA boundary to be consistent with the boundary of Downtown Oakville as set out in the Livable Oakville Official Plan.
In order for the expansion to proceed, a by-law must be passed to change the boundary but before it can be passed the following must take place:
- Provide notice, through the Town clerk, of the proposed expansion to landlords within the existing and future BIA boundary;
- Allow a 60 day notification period for objections;
- By-law can pass if fewer than 1/3 of those notified object.
- May 10 – the BIA held optional information sessions for both future and existing members.
- June 27 – Town Council approved the staff report recommending proceeding with the process to expand the BIA boundary.
- Late August – Town Clerk to mail existing and future landlords providing notification of the proposed BIA boundary expansion;
- September to October – 60 day waiting period to collect responses to proposed expansion;
- December – presentation of landlord feedback to Town Council and decision on proceeding with by-law on boundary expansion;
- January 2017 – new boundary in effect, assuming by-law is approved
Downtown Oakville Business Improvement Area
146 Lakeshore Road East (2nd Floor - West Office)
phone: 905-844-4520 (x.11)