Downtown Oakville BIA - 2017 Event Plan (incl. Jazz Festival changes)
Dear BIA members,
ication will provide you with an overview of the Event Plan for 2017, including event deliverables and rationale for changes. The plan is dependent on budget approval which will be discussed at the upcoming AGM on March 21.
The Downtown Oakville BIA Event Plan for 2017 is focused on delivering:
- Traffic downtown, primarily from the Oakville community
- Events throughout the year, primarily on weekends and evenings
- Increased member participation
The plan was developed considering event history for: audience attending, budget impact, resource impact (BIA members, BIA staff), duration, timing and feedback (member, community). Key outcomes of the review:
- Timing: majority of events occurred July - December
- Budget: majority of budget spend occurred July – September
- Resource impact: large events (Midnight Madness, Jazz Festival) require significant member and staff resources over a short period of time, events were closely spaced (3 weeks apart) again challenging member and staff resources.
- Event attendees: majority are from Oakville with the exception of Jazz where 50% of attendees resided outside of Oakville.
The Downtown Oakville BIA Event Plan for 2017 follows:
The most notable change is to the TD Downtown Oakville Jazz Festival. The Festival will be revised to include all genres of Canadian music, will occur throughout the day and evening on Saturday August 19, 2017 and will be re-branded as the TD Songs of Summer Festival. We are excited to announce that TD has re-signed as Title Sponsor in addition to Bell and Merriam Music. The budget will also be reduced, to reflect a one day event, and re-allocated to additional, new events noted below.
Seasonal Series Events
- Midnight Madness: July 14 - earlier start time to be considered
- NEW TD Songs of Summer: August 19 - replaces the Jazz Festival, full day street closure to be considered
- NEW Winter Chill: February 25, 26, March 4, 5
- NEW Spring Bloom: May 6, 7, 13, 14
- Summer Series: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, June 8 – September 3
- Autumn Harvest: Saturdays, October 7 – 29
- Christmas Cheer: Saturdays and Sundays, November 25 – December 17
Segment Focused Events
- NEW Bunny Hop: April 15
- Tiny Tots on Parade: October 31
- Tree Lighting Ceremony: November 17
- A Taste of Oakville: January 25 – February 8 (complete)
- Sidewalk Sale: June 8 – 11
- NEW Wellness Events (dates and details are work in progress)
- NEW Art Events (dates and details are work in progress)
- NEW TBD Segment Event (dates and details are work in progress)
- BIA staff to re-establish an Events Committee with participation from members and BIA staff
- Public communication and marketing of the 2017 Event Calendar to begin week of February 13
We are excited about these changes for 2017 and look forward to working with the BIA members to deliver traffic driving events with many members participating.
Your feedback is always welcome, Susan.
Downtown Oakville Business Improvement Area
146 Lakeshore Road East (2nd Floor - West Office)