Christmas in Downtown Oakville, Tree Lighting and Pop Up Market
Dear BIA members,
See highlighted info below that wasn't included in original email...
This email contains important information regarding:
Tree Lighting Ceremony
Friday, November 18, 2016 7-9 p.m.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony Details
- New Partial Street Closure
- New Pop Up Market on George Street during the Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Interested Downtown Oakville BIA members must respond to this email by Friday, November 4, 2016 or sooner.
The Downtown Oakville Tree Lighting Ceremony is the official kick-off to Christmas in Oakville. This year we’re really starting the season off right! On Friday, November 18, 2016 we will be lighting the 45-foot white spruce tree at 8:30 p.m.
Partial Street Closures NEW
For the fourth year in a row the tree will be decorated through a partnership with Khachi Design Group. The tree will have a traditional Christmas theme with red, green, gold and candy cane ornaments. This theme is similar to last year and builds on the amazing Christmas experience we were able to create in 2015.
The Tree Lighting Ceremony has been growing in success and attendance every year. Due to this successful attendance we have added new elements to this year’s event and encourage members to participate in new ways and engage with the community during this exciting time of year.
(Lakeshore Road from Thomas Street to Dunn Street and George Street)
- George Street will be closed from 3-10 p.m.
- Lakeshore Road from Thomas to Dunn Street will be closed from 6-10 p.m.
Due to overflow last year from Towne Square, Lakeshore Road will be closed from Thomas Street to Dunn Street. This decision was made for the safety of attendees. Last year because of the large crowd the police had to re-direct traffic since attendees spilled onto Lakeshore Road. The Downtown Oakville BIA consulted with the Halton Regional Police, the Town of Oakville and event participants, coming to the decision that the closure was necessary for the overall safety of the event.
We want you to participant! This is how you can get involved:
Please let us know what you’re doing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and information on your setup.
In order to participate, all businesses must adhere to the following safety regulations:
Businesses not within the street closure are still encouraged to participate. Any business interested in having brand activation within the closure will be an area located within the road closure for the event.
Businesses within the closure are encouraged to participate by hosting brand activation on the sidewalk or street in front of your business.
Pop Up Market on George Street NEW
Friday, November 18, 2016 7-9 p.m.
- All tents must be weighed down (40lbs on each leg) safely with weights, water bags or sand (the Town will be checking the safety of tents and if they are not properly secured you may be asked to take your tent down)
- Activations cannot be larger than the length of your storefront
- Sidewalks must have 5 feet width of clear walkway
- If setting up on the road activations must be within 10ft. of the curb (in order to leave a fire route in the middle of the street)
- Contact Police at the first sign of potential crowd management/ behaviour issues
For the first time we will be hosting a Pop up Market during the Tree Lighting Ceremony on George Street. We’ve decided to do this in order to engage better with event attendees by having more activities and attractions. The market is something that we’ve heard a lot of interest about from the local community. We thought this was the perfect year to test out the flexibility of the market and try something new.
- Cost to participate in Pop up Market on George Street $100
- George Street will be closed for the market from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
We want BIA members to participate, this opportunity is first being offered to members to fill the tent area. There are 6 spots available and if there isn’t enough interest from members we will be working with the Halton region to fill the remaining spots business start-ups.
Members interested in setting up in the market must let us know by November 4, 2016
Members participating in the Pop Up Market on George Street will receive:
- 1 spot inside a semi open 10x70ft. tent with lighting
- 1 4x6ft table with tablecloth
- Signage above their table with their name and logo
Participates will be highlighted on the Downtown Oakville BIA’s website, facebook, twitter and instagram accounts
- Participants must sell seasonally focused items
- All sales transactions will be handled individually by the participating businesses
Administrative and Membership Coordinator
Downtown Oakville Business Improvement Area
146 Lakeshore Road East (2nd Floor - West Office)
phone: 905-844-4520 (x.10)