Rebuilding Downtown Oakville - Construction and Streetscape Update
Rebuilding Downtown Oakville
There are a number reconstruction projects in progress and planned for Downtown Oakville in 2016 and beyond. These projects are necessary as these streets and structures are nearing the end of their service life. Through communication and mitigation planning, the objective of the BIA is to minimize the impact of reconstruction on the member businesses.
Water rehabilitation and sewer upgrades on Trafalgar/Dunn/Randall:
- Halton Region is on schedule to complete this work as planned by end of September. Currently, water rehabilitation work is in progress on Trafalgar. Mid-July, sanitary sewer replacements will start on Randall, followed by Dunn and Trafalgar.
- The Reynolds detour has caused traffic to back up coming from the east through downtown Oakville making it challenging at times to cross Lakeshore. The Town has responded to this concern by eliminating the west bound advanced green at Lakeshore and Trafalgar in order to allow more traffic to flow through.
Lakeshore intersection repair:
- The Church St parking garage will undergo repair work starting Aug 27 lasting approximately four weeks. Impacted permit holders will be relocated to an alternate location.
- The Town is finalizing the repair phasing and permit relocation plan – details will be sent directly to permit holders soon.
Lakeshore bridge reconstruction:
- Starting mid-August, repairs will occur at all Lakeshore intersections. Depending on the intersection, the existing asphalt will be either partially or completely removed and replaced. The repairs will occur only on Monday and Tuesdays and will impact one intersection at a time.
- Additional information will follow in a member email once the Town has finalized the schedule.
Lakeshore reconstruction and streetscape:
- The Lakeshore bridge over Sixteen Mile Creek will be closed to traffic and re-built between January and September 2017.
- In order to facilitate traffic flow through downtown, Navy Street (between Randall and Lakeshore) will be converted to a two-way street in fall 2016. During construction, traffic will be re-routed to ensure access to Lakeshore is maintained – the Town is currently working on the detour plan.
- The Town will also be holding an open house in the fall to share the plan and receive public input.
- The Town presented the contemporary streetscape materials planned for use was presented to businesses and public on June 15. A second presentation will occur to the Heritage Oakville Advisory Committee on July 19. Town staff will report back to Council in the fall – including feedback received from stakeholder groups.
- Looking ahead, the Town will begin public consultations mid-2017 on construction phasing with reconstruction planned for 2019 and 2020.
- The BIA is starting to develop a mitigation strategy to minimize business impact leading up to and during construction. Several other BIAs have gone through similar construction projects on their main street. The BIA is starting to connect with BIAs in Kingston, Markham, Guelph and Cambridge to understand best practices for member support during construction. Findings and a request for member input will occur late 2016.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.
Downtown Oakville Business Improvement Area
146 Lakeshore Road East (2nd Floor - West Office)
phone: 905-844-4520 (x.11)