Rebuilding Downtown Oakville - Construction and Streetscape Update
Updates as of August 2016
Rebuilding Downtown Oakville
There are a number reconstruction projects in progress and planned for Downtown Oakville in 2016 and beyond. These projects are necessary as these streets and structures are nearing the end of their service life. Through communication and mitigation planning, the objective of the BIA is to minimize the impact of reconstruction on the member businesses.
Water rehabilitation and sewer upgrades on Trafalgar/Dunn/Randall: Ongoing
Parking garage: Upcoming
- Halton Region is on schedule to complete this work as planned by end of September.
- In progress currently are water rehabilitation work on Trafalgar and sewer replacements on Randall, followed by Dunn and Trafalgar.
Lakeshore intersection repair: Completed
- The Church St parking garage will undergo repair work starting Aug 27 lasting approximately four weeks.
- The work will be scheduled in phases as follows:
- Aug 27 - Sept 3: Basement level
- Sept 4 - 18 All levels: full closure
- Sept 19 - 25: Levels 3 and 4 (roof) only
- Permit holders have been provided with temporary parking locations during the closure.
- Notices will be posted at the garage to advise occasional users of the maintenance work plus a map showing alternate parking locations.
Lakeshore bridge reconstruction: Upcoming
- In mid-August, repairs occurred at select Lakeshore intersections. While traffic flow was slowed, the work was completed quickly and on schedule.
- Additional intersections may need to be repaired at a later date.
Lakeshore reconstruction and streetscape: Upcoming
- The Lakeshore bridge over Sixteen Mile Creek will be closed to traffic and re-built between January and September 2017.
- In order to facilitate traffic flow through downtown, Navy Street (between Randall and Lakeshore) will be converted to a two-way street in fall 2016. During construction, traffic will be re-routed to ensure access to Lakeshore is maintained – the Town is currently working on the detour plan.
- The Town will also be holding an open house in the fall to share the plan and receive public input.
- The Town presented the contemporary streetscape materials planned for use to businesses and public in June. The public was not in favour of the contemporary materials chosen and provided this feedback to the Town.
- As a result, at the July Council meeting Councillor Gittings proposed that the Town revisit the contemporary theme and streetscape materials selected. Council approved this recommendation.
- Next steps: A new round of public and business consultations will occur in September (dates to be announced).
- Part 1 will be to select a theme - classic, traditional or contemporary. The BIA will be engaging members via email survey on Part 1 in early September. The selected theme will go to Council for approval in October.
- Once the theme is selected, Part 2 will be to select the materials - date to be finalized.
- The selection of theme and materials will be completed before before the end of 2016.
- This will not impact the 2019/2020 plans for Lakeshore reconstruction.
Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss any of these projects.
Downtown Oakville Business Improvement Area
146 Lakeshore Road East (2nd Floor - West Office)
phone: 905-844-4520 (x.11)