Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is here! It's time to bring out the candy and costumes and ghoulish decorations ... but it's also time for us pet owners to be aware of the the potential hazards certain sweets and materials can pose to our fur kids. Below is a list of things to watch out for:
Chocolate - Although a safe Halloween treat for humans, chocolate contains chemicals called methylxanthines which can be very toxic to your pets (especially dogs). In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the less safe it is for your pet to consume.
Candy - While most candies aren't necessarily toxic themselves, large amounts of any sugary treat consumed by your pet can present a big problem. The primary danger is pancreatitis -- a serious and often very painful disease of the digestive system. So never leave a bowl or bag of candy where your pet may have access to it.
Candy Wrappers -- A swallowed wrapper can cause bowel obstructions which may lead to serious problems and even costly surgery in some cases.
Raisins - Some people like to pass out boxes of raisins to trick-or-treaters as a healthy alternative to candy. But unknown to many of us, raisins (and grapes) can be quite dangerous to your pets. There is a high risk of liver failure in dogs and possibly cats -- even if only a small amount is eaten. This is actually a good tip to remember year round as many of us begin to gravitate towards healthier food choices.
Candles - As you might guess, the flame is the primary hazard here. Don't place a lit candle where dog or cat might get too curious or too close.
If you ever suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic or life threatening, you may call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661. You will be connected to a team of veterinarians who will be ready to assist you with important instructions or advice.
We wish everyone -- and their pets -- a happy and safe Halloween!
Written by Michael Walker