12 Items That Are Toxic to Your Pets
The third week of March is National Poison Prevention Week. Many common items in your house may be toxic to pets and some of them may surprise you. Here are 12 to watch out for:
This is the main ingredient in Tylenol and similar medications. It can cause liver damage in dogs and can cause anemia and even be fatal to cats.
Ingesting batteries can cause serious toxicity in dogs and cats including ulcers in the mouth, stomach and esophagus.
Eating chocolate can cause seizures in dogs and cats and can even be fatal. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous.
This also includes raisins and currants. Even in small amounts, ingesting these can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Many varieties of these common houseplants including Easter, Tiger, Day, Japanese and Asian lilies can cause kidney failure in cats. Lilies of the Valley can cause heart problems and death in both dogs and cats.
These can be very toxic to both cats and dogs. Consuming them can cause diarrhea, vomiting, increased drinking and urination and seizures.
ADHD medicines and antidepressants as well as cardiac drugs can cause moderate to serious problems even in small amounts. Pets can ingest these pills when they are dropped on the floor or left on the counter.
These nuts can cause vomiting, lethargy and difficulty walking in dogs.
These tropical plants can be very toxic for cats and dogs and can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and even liver failure in dogs.
Unbaked Bread Dough
Ingesting bread dough can expand in the stomach which can cut off the blood supply if the stomach twists. The yeast can also ferment into alcohol causing respiratory failure and seizures.
A common sweetener found in chewing gum, toothpaste and breath mints. It can lead to very low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
Metal or coins can cause serious problems if ingested. All pennies made since 1982 have zinc in them and even swallowing a single penny can be fatal. Also nuts and bolts contain zinc and aren't easily passed through the digestive system.
A good way of preventing accidental poisonings is to pet-proof your home. Do a walk-through of your house, garage and yard to locate any dangerous substances or items and relocate them to a safe place. Keep medications out of your pet's reach and when you take them, do so in another room behind a locked door.
If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned, The ASPCA has an Animal Poison Control Hotline that you can call for emergency advice (there is a fee per call.) The center will guide you on what steps to take and will do as many follow up calls as necessary:
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline
(888) 4ANIHELP (426-4435)
Article by: Mike Walker