Dear Oil Free Otago supporters,
Join the global call to action to Break Free from fossil fuels!
From May 4-16, 2016, a global wave of mass actions will target the world’s most dangerous fossil fuel projects — to keep coal, oil and gas in the ground and accelerate the just transition to 100% renewable energy.
In Aotearoa, there will be actions in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin. All of the actions will adhere to a strictly non-violent kaupapa and will be accessible for all with different levels of involvement available.
We are taking actions against one of the largest lenders to fossil fuels in the Pacific: ANZ. We don't want our money funding oil, gas and coal projects and fueling climate change.
ANZ has invested $13.5 billion in fossil fuel extraction projects in the Pacific since 2008. This must stop.
Our demands are simple:
- Remove all investments in fossil fuel extraction companies within the next three years
- Commit to no future investment in fossil fuels
When it comes to the future of our planet, it’s fossil fuels or us. So we encourage everyone who can to get involved in these actions. Sign up here for regular updates: https://nz.breakfree2016.org/ and you can also join each action on Facebook:
and here's our Dunedin event:
Bill McKibbon, co-founder of 350.org, said:
“Fossil fuel is wrecking the one Earth we’ve got. It’s not going to go away because we ask politely. If we want a world that works, we’re going to have to raise our voices.”
Dunedin, it’s time to raise our voices.
- Sign up to https://nz.breakfree2016.org/
- Action training and briefing 5:30 Wed 11 May at Herron Hall, behind Knox Church (upstairs, turn right). We strongly recommend you come along to this action training and briefing, so that together we can understand and agree on our kaupapa and the following day's action.
- Action Thursday 12 May location tbc
Highly recommended: this 25 minute film shows how ordinary people are mobilising to disrupt the fossil fuel industry:
See you 5:30 on the 11th!
Oil Free Otago team