Magnesium is an essential mineral that is used by the body in over 300 different biochemical processes. Because magnesium is so widely used, it is easy for it to become depleted.
Common signs of magnesium deficiency include:
- muscular cramps and spasms
- eye twitches
- decreased resilience to stress
Magnesium comes in a wide variety of foods, from nuts and seeds, to leafy greens and grains. Include these nutrient-rich foods in your diet to support your magnesium status:
• Nuts and seeds - Raw almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, walnuts, pumpkin (pepitas) and sesame seeds.
• Green leafy vegetables - Kale, silver beet and spinach.
• Whole grains - Quinoa, buckwheat and rye are not only high in magnesium, but other nutrients too.
• Dark chocolate - Feel like a treat? Raw cacoa is also high in magnesium and makes a great guilt free treat this Easter!
Magnesium deficiency is surprisingly more common than you may think. Magnesium can also be useful for our children too. If your child experiences symptoms such as cramps, spasms or restless legs they could also be deficient in magnesium.
While magnesium is critically important in the body, it also requires other vitamins and minerals to complement its function. Specific magnesium combinations are available to your Practitioner to help address your presenting symptoms.
As you can see, magnesium really IS magnificent! If you are experiencing stress, muscle tension, fatigue or other signs associated with magnesium deficiency, it is time to top up! The right magnesium supplement, prescribed by your Practitioner, alongside simple dietary and lifestyle advice can help you replenish your magnesium reserves. Establishing good magnesium levels can help increase your vitality and wellness and maintain your health in the long-term.
For more information on magnesium deficiencies, book in for a consultation with one of our naturopaths today!