From President David Moore
I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving, whether that meant staying at home with family or traveling to visit them. Fall is always a busy season for us tree folks; I hope you've had a chance to rest up and make the most of the holiday.
One thing I'm thankful for is that a couple weeks ago, we had our Millionth Tree planting ceremony in the Bronx with Mayor Bill DiBlasio, Michael Bloomberg, and Bette Midler. Hearing these three leaders complimenting each other and giving good-humored speeches was awesome as well as historical. I also had a chance to see many of the great folks I've worked with over the eight years of the campaign. Urban forestry really brought diverse people together on this day and it was a reminder that we are all in the same boat, working for the same environment.
As the winter holidays approach, I wanted to share a couple ideas on how to give back to our profession and help give urban forestry a strong future:
- Contribute an article to the Taking Root blog such as your professional profile, a re-cap of a recent workshop you attended, or an interesting project you are involved with (email Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Forward the Taking Root newsletter to other professionals in your network
- Mentor a young professional starting his/her career
- Make contact with the professors at your local university or alma mater and plan a guest lecture, share internships/job opportunities, and/or invite students to shadow you at your workplace.
- Pick your favorite urban forestry online resource and suggest that we add a link to it from the Council's website
I hope you end your year on a strong note--thanks for reading!