As many of you know, the Collegiate Running Association is thrilled to be hosting its first National Championship event in conjunction with the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k presented by Martin's.The 10k road race will take place on March 29, 2014 in Richmond, Virginia.
The Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k is currently the third largest 10k road race in the US with roughly 40,000 competitors crossing the finish line in 2013. Heading into its 15th year, the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k has earned a reputation as one of the premiere races in the country due in large part to the 30 live bands that play along the course, the post-race festival in Monroe park, and the thousands of spectators that encourage the runners along.
We are excited to announce that there will be a $10,000 prize purse for the top 10 male and female finishers that are currently enrolled in a college class and members of the Collegiate Running Association. This will be the first time that a road race has reserved prize money specifically for college students! The prize money breakdown can be found by clicking here.
With prize money comes elite athletes and we are proud to announce our first two elite athlete commitments: Andrew Benford, a 2011 University of Richmond graduate, and Tyler McCandless, a 2010 Penn State University graduate. While at Richmond, Benford was an NCAA All-American in the 3000m Steeplechase and has twice represented Team USA at the World Mountain Running Championships. Benford now lives in Austin, TX, runs professionally for Rogue Athletic Club, and is pursuing a degree for Physical Therapy. McCandless was an NCAA All-American in the 10,000m, qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials in the Marathon and has a Half-Marathon personal best of 1:03:16. McCandless runs for Newton Running Elite and is pursuing a PhD from Penn State. Follow Benford on twitter @andrewbenford and McCandless @TrackTy.
(Andrew Benford) Our goal is to see as many college students run the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k as possible! As of January 8, there were 625 college students already registered, 300 of which are members of the Collegiate Running Association! Sign up today to beat the February 1 price increase and make sure you click "yes" if you will be enrolled in a college course in the spring of 2014. All college students will be listed in both the overall race and the Collegiate Running Association 10k National Championship results.
As of January 10, 2014 the Collegiate Running Association has 435 members representing 35 states. We have received tremendous support and are thankful that each and every one of you has become a member!
Help us grow by spreading the word about the Collegiate Running Association in any way that you can. Our mission is to promote healthy lifestyles among college students by expanding opportunities for competition in the sport of running. Less than 8% of high school runners compete at the NCAA level so there are many college students that can benefit from the Collegiate Running Association. We want to keep the other 92% of high school runners involved in the sport through their college years. Share with your friends, family, coaches, and athletes, and together we can support a healthier future through the sport we all love! Have them become free members so that they can receive our newsletters and updates, follow us on twitter, like our facebook page, and visit our website at www.collegiaterunning.org.
We also want to stay posted on how you all are doing, so send photos of you running your favorite roads, mountains, and trails to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can post your pics!
A HUGE thank you goes out to our first three Founding Members: Michael Pauley, Matthew Hannay, and Andrew Benford.
(Michael Pauley, the first Founding Member of the Collegiate Running Association, with President Steve Taylor)
As a reminder, we are looking for Founding Members that can help us get the Collegiate Running Association off the ground. With a volunteer staff and limited funds, every little bit helps!
January is a very exciting month for the Collegiate Running Association. Throughout the month we will be announcing more elite athlete commitments for our 10k Road Race National Championship, recognizing new Founding Members, and best of all... we will be announcing our 2014 Mountain Running Championship event!
We will be announcing the next elite athlete commitment on Wednesday, January 15 @ 8:00pm EST and our 2014 Mountain Running Championship event on Tuesday, January 21. These announcements will take place on twitter @collegerunning and on Facebook @ Collegiate Running Association, so stay tuned!