Friday January 8th 2016
If you have an item you would like included in future issues, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook, also see pictures of our most recent services and events on Flickr
Did you lose a brooch outside St Michael & All Angels Church? Found on December 18th, a gold locket brooch with lock of hair in glass frame, inscribed ‘Charley’ on the back. Enquire at the Parish Office.
1. It’s your last chance to bid for our Advent Calendar pictures, created by local artists in aid of our Christmas Charity Appeal. The silent auction closes this Sunday. You can see the pictures and the latest ‘bids to beat’ here.
You need to bid on the bidding sheets in the church, but we will take email and proxy bids (under clear instructions), for those who can’t be there on Sunday. Email email@example.com for more details. See how to bid here.
2. Tomorrow Saturday January 9th, from 10am to 3.30pm at St Michael & All Angels, it’s Exploring the Icon - a day with the Director of the Bethlehem Icon Centre Ian Knowles, renowned Icon painter and Director of the Bethlehem School of Icon Painting. Tickets £20 - lunch and refreshments included. See details and book now! Or pay at the door but please register first with the Parish Office on 020 8994 1380.
3. On Sunday January 10th, at 10am at St Michael & All Angels, it's a Parish Mass. Preacher Fr Kevin Morris. All welcome.
Following the 10am service, from 11.30am to 1pm in the Raphael Room, it’s the Auction Party for the Advent Calendar pictures in aid of St Michael’s Christmas Charity Appeal. Drinks and nibbles in aid of the Appeal. All welcome. See how to bid here. Bids for pictures 1 to 8 close at 12 Noon; pictures 9 to 16 at 12.30; pictures 17 to 24 at 1pm.
4. Also on Sunday 1oth in St Michael’s Parish Hall, the Chiswick Scottish Dance Club starts its new term. From 6pm (beginners and improvers) and from 7pm (intermediates and advanced). Space limited, so please contact them if you’d like to join them. Details here.
5. Tickets are now on sale for St Michael’s Charity Quiz Night on Saturday January 30th. Reserve individual places/tables of 8 at the unchanged price of £22.50 per person to include a three-course supper. All profits to our three SMAAA charities: Upper Room, Mulberry Centre and Msaada. Contact Alyson Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Parish Office for tickets.
6. On Tuesday January 12th 2016 from 7pm for a 7.30 pm start, at St. George’s, Campden Hill W8, there’s a Commemoration of the Centenary of the Evacuation of Gallipoli. Fr. Peter Wolton will talk with Rachel Billington about her latest novel “Glory” set during that campaign. Tickets £7.50 per person, to include a glass of wine, via the Eventbrite link.
At 6.30 pm, the Tuesday evening Eucharist will be dedicated to those who took part in the Gallipoli Campaign, and their families.
7. On Thursday January 14th at 2pm sharp in St Michael & Angels Parish Hall, the Thursday Opera Lectures with Ross Alley resume: this week Bizet’s The Pearl Fishers. £10 at the door. Tea or coffee and biscuits included. More info from 07930 365518 or email@example.com.
8. Also on Thursday 14th at ArtsEd, Ballet4Life is offering its annual Taster Classes for beginners: 7-8pm Ballet, 8-9pm Jazz & Contemporary. Try one for £10 or £15 for all.
And on Saturday 16th at Arts Ed at 1.45pm it holds its bespoke dance and exercise class for people living with Parkinson's and other mobility challenges. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org
9. On Sunday January 17th, in the 10am Choral Mass at St Michael & All Angels church, the sermon will be given by Sandra Horne, who has returned after four months in Palestine. She worked alongside the people of the West Bank as a monitor and rapporteur of human rights abuses under the Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI), coordinated by the World Council of Churches.
10. Also on Sunday 17th at 6pm at St Nicholas Chiswick, by the river, the next guest for Conversational Evensong is Baroness Rabbi Julia Neuberger, the Senior Rabbi at the West London Synagogue. A regular on Pause forThought on BBC R2, she will share something of her faith journey and her favourite music and prayers. All welcome. Refreshments as usual. More info from Fr Andrew Downes email@example.com
11. On Tuesday January 19th at 7.30pm at Chiswick Pier, the first talk of 2016 is about History, Heritage and Houseboats by Dr Scott Pereira from The Thames Society. Doors open 7pm. Tickets £3, free to members of Chiswick Pier Trust and The Thames Society. Refreshments available. More details.
13. Thanks to everyone who has made donations to our Foodbank box by the font in St Michael & All Angels church. More information about foodbanks in the Ealing area.
We’ll also be collecting toys and unwanted presents for the Green Days stalls. Can you help us by storing them till June? If so, please contact the Parish Office.
Dates further ahead for your diaries - at St Michael & All Angels, unless stated.
- Sunday January 20th from 7pm to 8pm in the Gabriel Room - free talk by Shirley Zerf on Practical Mindfulness and Meditation and how it can help with stress, anxiety and winter blues. Please register to come by email firstname.lastname@example.org or via her website where you can read more.
- Sunday January 24th from 2.30 to 5pm - singers and dancers are invited to audition for a new Theatre West Four production, Gershwin. Audition at The Friendship Club, Age Concern, Oxford Road North, W4 4DN. The show will run from May 16th at the Questors Studio Theatre, Ealing. Rehearsals Thursday evenings, Sunday afternoons through March and April. Singers, bring sheet music or come with a song in your head. Please wear suitable footwear and clothing. For more info please contact Christina Balmer at email@example.com
- Wednesday January 27th – the first of this year’s Upper Room Winter Lectures is given by broadcaster and playwright Jonathan Maitland. His first play, ‘Dead Sheep’, was the most successful in the Park Theatre’s history. His second, ‘An Audience with Jimmy Savile’, went to Edinburgh after the Park Theatre. All lectures will take place in St Saviour’s Church, Cobbold Road. W12, 8-9pm. Refreshments from 7.40pm. Donations welcome.
- Wednesday January 27th – The Chiswick Calendar Party to celebrate its first anniversary. George IV, Chiswick High Road. 7.30pm to Midnight. Live New Orleans Jazz band. Tickets £5 from its website.
- Thursday January 28th - local historian Val Bott on 'Pleasure Gardens and Pineapple Stoves Chiswick House gardeners 1700-1850'. St Nicholas Church, Church Street, W4 2PJ. Organised by the Friends of St Nicholas Church with Chiswick House Friends. Entrance £10 (£7 concessions; free to FoSNC and CHF members). Doors open 6.30pm, refreshments available.
- Friday January 29th - Bedford Park Society Winter Party in St Michael & All Angels Parish Hall.
- Saturday January 30th - 10am to 12.30pm at the Chiswick Horticultural and Allotment Society Trading Hut (Stavely Road) - The English Love Affair with Nature, a talk by Ian Alexander who lives in Chiswick. More on his website. £3 incl tea and biscuits. Space limited, so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
- Saturday January 30th – St Michael’s Charity Quiz Night. Reserve individual places/tables of 8 at the unchanged price of £22.50 per person to include a three-course supper. All profits to our three SMAAA charities: The Upper Room, The Mulberry Centre and Msaada. Contact Alyson Mitchell (email@example.com) or the Parish Office for tickets.
- Monday February 1st 7.30pm – The Chiswick Calendar In Conversation with Wayne Sleep OBE at the Tabard Theatre. Tickets £16 (Discount for Club members). Details and booking here
- Saturday June 11th and Sunday 12th, Green Days weekend, the start of the 50th Bedford Park Festival.
- Thursday September 15th to Monday 19th - the 8th Chiswick Book Festival.
Regular Mass Times:
Sunday- Parish Mass 10am. Monday- 6.00pm. Wednesday- 12.30pm. Thursday- 10am. Friday- 6.00pm. Saturday 10am.
And at St Peter's Church, Southfield Road, W4 1BB: Sunday- Parish Mass 10am. Thursday- 11am. Friday- 11.30am.