The Truth Will Set You Free
We value freedom and strive to protect freedoms. But do we truly understand freedom? Freedom for many means doing what you want without control or coercion. Jesus helps us to understand true freedom: “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:31). Jesus says that you will never be free by living however you want. Take that attitude towards life and you'll be a slave. You'll only be free—spiritually, emotionally, eternally—“If you hold to my teaching” and therefore “know the truth.”
A key principle Martin Luther established through the Reformation is sola scriptura, Scripture alone. Luther thought it was the answer to all of life’s fundamental questions. On what basis is a belief or practice justified of rejected? Scripture alone. Who or what is the final arbiter of truth? Scripture alone. Heirs of the Reformation still bind themselves to Scripture. Does restricting ourselves in this manner curtail freedom? Just the opposite is true. God’s divinely inspired truth brings freedom. It frees us from slavery to sinful delusions, the burden of guilt, and any earthly power. This week we see that when we willingly bind ourselves to truth, Jesus keeps his promise. The truth sets us free. Join us for worship (8:00 & 10:30 am) and Bible Study and Sunday School (9:20-10:10 am). We will also celebrate Holy Communion.
Please keep the following in your prayers:
- The Family of Earl Semrow, who was called home to heaven on Sunday, October 23.
- Pastor Ben Schone, as he deliberates the divine call to serve as Associate Pastor at Riverview.
- Andy & Julie Zidek, who will celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary this week.
- Gloria Brickham, as she undergoes shoulder surgery on Monday.
- Brian Werth, who continues to wait for a kidney transplant
Church Directory Photos Saturday. Tuesday and Wednesday
Pictures are being taken on Saturday even with the funeral in the morning. Please enter the gym doors and head down the hall to the Kindergarten room. Tuesday, Nov 2, and Wednesday, Nov 3, the photographers are here from 2 pm -8 pm. Please arrive about 10 minutes early to be checked in. If you still need a photo taken for the directory, call the office to be scheduled. There are still several times available.
All ladies of the congregation are invited to attend a light brunch in the church library on November 5 at 10:00 am, sponsored by LWMS to give more information on the purpose and objective of LWMS. Please join us for fellowship!
On Friday, November 11, from 6:00 to 9:30 pm, join us at Sabre Lanes in Menasha to test your trivia knowledge. This contest sponsored by the CPTO will run from 7-9 pm, with fellowship before and after. This is team trivia ( up to 8 on a team) each team member can answer as much or as little as he/she is able. The cost is $10 per person which will be collected the night of the event. Sign up on the display board in the entrance. No carry-ins of food or drink will be permitted this year. It will be available for purchase at Sabre lanes.
Hymnals Available for Purchase
If you would like to purchase a Christian Worship Hymnal, copies are available in the office for $25. Stop by during scrip sales or anytime during office hours to pick up your copy.
Childcare Help Needed
Parents attending our Bible Basics Classes are in need of childcare during the classes. If you or your child are able to assist on some or all Mondays from 6:30 - 7:45 pm, please contact Pastor Wagner as soon as possible (920-757-4535; firstname.lastname@example.org).
To help with the important role of Powerpoint Assistant in worship, Mr. Witte will be providing training for all of the 5th-8th grade students who are members of Riverview. All students will then be added to a rotation so both worship services have a clicker. Please email email@example.com with what service you prefer to attend and your student will be added to that schedule. If you are not able to attend on your scheduled time please find another student to fill in. This commitment would be about 4 times a year.
Our members have responded generously to the Growing in Grace building expansion project with 122 pledges to support the program over the next 3 years. We pray that the Lord will bless this effort so that even more than the amount pledged is received. These contributions will reduce borrowing and interest expenses for years to come.
Growing in Grace is an exciting opportunity to expand our ministry and reach more people with the gospel, but the need to support our current ministry and staff continues. Our General Fund offerings have fallen $41,000 below budgeted ministry over the first 3 months of the fiscal year. Contributions to Growing in Grace are to be over and above General Fund support. Prayerfully consider your support of all our ministry programs with your generous, joyful, first-fruits, proportionate offerings. May God bless all of us, as we respond to his generous grace!
Sunday Bible Study
In 10 Lies About God, we are discovering how popular but inaccurate beliefs distort our relationship with God. And we are learning loving, Bible-based corrections that we can use in response. Adults and youth in grade 6 & up are invited to join us Sundays at 9:20 am in the Fellowship Hall (Room 208/Grade 7-8 classroom).
This Week's Topic: "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves" and "God Has Made Death a Natural Part of Life"
Advent by Candlelight -Save the Date
The women of Riverview Lutheran Church invite you to join us for Advent by Candlelight at 6:30 p.m. on December 3 at the gym at Riverview Lutheran School. Take time away from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season for fellowship and quiet reflection on the Word of God. All women and girls aged 3rd grade and older are welcome to join us. Desserts will be served. Please click here to RSVP by November 23. We hope to see you there!
Church and School Office Hours
On Thursday & Friday, October 27-28, the school office will be closed, and church office hours will be 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, due to school break for the fall Teachers Conference.
Serving this Weekend
- Greeters - Dumke Family
- Powerpoint Assistant - Grace Dumke
- Ushers - Kevin Wundrow; Dennis Prahl; Duaine Stillman; Lou, Heather, & Matt Vadala
- Greeters - Krueger Family/ Hansmann Family
- Powerpoint Assistant - Noah Nolte
- Ushers - Chad & Dylan Krueger; Justin & Grant Shea; Gerald Ebert; Rob Huettl
Worship Times & Links
Sundays 8:00am (livestreamed), 10:30am
Fox Valley Lutheran High School Notes
- FVL is accepting applications for a full time Custodial Supervisor (includes benefits). Go to fvlhs.org/about/employment for details.
- Girls in grades 5-8 are invited to register for a November 5 Cheer and Stunt Clinic, and in grades 4K-2 for a November 25 Dance Camp. Go to fvlhs.org/youth-sports for details and to register.
- 8th Grade Scheduling Night 11/3/22 or 2/21/23 - Parents enrolling 8th graders at FVL for 2023-24 — please complete the online enrollment application at fvlhs.org/enroll. Upon completion, you will receive a link to set a scheduling appointment on the evening of 11/3/22, 2/21/23, or to request a different date that fits your schedule.
- The FVL Mission Advancement Office is hosting a free informational seminar. Join us at FVL on Thurs., 11/3 to hear from a financial expert regarding tax advantage investments. Hear strategies to save for retirement and education. Event begins at 6 PM. Go to fvlhs.org/seminar to register and get information.
- FVL’s Annual Veterans Day Breakfast & Service is set for Fri. 11/11 from 8:30-10:30 AM. Veterans from the FVL Federation and their family members are invited. Registration is by phone or online at fvlhs.org/news. Please register by 11/4 for planning purposes. After breakfast, a special worship service will be held in the Auditorium.
- Grandparents are invited to spend the morning at FVL on November 17 & 18. Begin at 8:00 with a continental breakfast, attend chapel with your grandchildren, get a personal tour of the school—given by your grandchildren, and get an update on the school from President Loberger and Principal Nolte. Registration deadline is November 11. Details at fvlhs.org/grandparents or phone 920-739-4441
Area WELS News
- WELS/ELS Singles Retreat Nov 11-13, 2022 at Camp Phillip Did you know that November 11 is International Singles Day? We invite you to join us at the 2022 WELS/ELS Singles Retreat on November 11-13 at Camp Phillip, Wisconsin for a weekend of fun and fellowship. For more information about the event and to register check out our webpage: https://wels-els-singles.com/2022-retreat.
- GriefShare - Surviving the Holidays - Wondering how you will survive the weeks surrounding Thanksgiving and Christmas? Are you dreading these holidays, knowing that everything has changed and that happy memories from past years can't be recreated? Our Surviving the Holidays seminar is especially for people who are grieving a loved one's death. You'll learn: How to deal with the many emotions you'll face during the holidays, What to do about traditions and other coming changes, Helpful tips for surviving social events, How to discover hope for your future. About the event - Here's what happens at a Surviving the Holidays seminar - A Surviving the Holidays event lasts for about two hours. You'll be welcomed by warm, caring people who understand what you are going through and who want to help. During the seminar, you will: Watch a 40-minute video, filled with practical holiday survival tips and the real-life stories of people who have navigated the season after their loved one's death. Hear other seminar attendees explain how they are dealing with the holidays. Have the opportunity to share how grief is affecting you. (No pressure—this is optional. We want you to feel comfortable.) Receive a personal copy of the GriefShare Holiday Survival Guide.
- The Pishon Collaborative Debut - Where there is gold. In Genesis 2:11 we are told that there was gold deposited near the Pishon River. Isn’t it interesting God informed his people of these precious resources? It’s almost like He wanted people to find the gold, and learn to craft beauty with it. We see ourselves as torchbearers of that idea. The Pishon Collaborative is an intentionally multidisciplinary endeavor by Hearts and Hands to reimagine scripture through story, song, and visual art. This debut event is focused on the Promises of scripture. This unique gallery event features works by some of the elite artists of our fellowship. Join us on November 18 at 7:00pm at the CORE in Appleton, WI. For more information, go to heartsandhands.art