COME, LORD JESUS! - As Messiah
Humanity wants a made-to-order Messiah. We want the Savior we want. The Jews wanted a political Messiah who would remove Roman oppression and reestablish the kingdom of Israel. The generic Christian of today wants a Messiah who is a good teacher and an inspiration for brotherly love.
Even faithful Christians face the temptation of a made-to-order Messiah. We want a Messiah who isn’t bothered by the sin that keeps cropping up in our life, who doesn’t call for total dedication but is fine if we only want a relaxed association with him. We want a Messiah who dispenses blessings liberally, to ensure that our life is blessed, as we would like to define it.
That is not the Messiah who came. Jesus defies the expectations of Israel, the world, and us. Jesus reminds us that “blessed” is a term that he defines, and it begins with not rejecting the Messiah because he fails to meet our expectations. One proof that Jesus is the Messiah is that he fulfilled every prophecy. Therefore, blessed people respond to adverse circumstances with patient waiting and confidence that, at just the right time, their Messiah will fix all that is broken in their lives. Join us this Sunday, as we see our Messiah and celebrate his coming. Our guest pastor will be Pastor Robert Balza. The Lord's Supper will also be celebrated. Please also read below for other important upcoming events!
Please keep the following in your prayers:
- The Building Committee, contractors and crews, as we begin our Growing in Grace expansion.
- Pastor Brian Wrobel, who has returned (declined) the call to serve at Riverview.
- Our Christmas Outreach, as we mail out postcards and our members invite others to Christmas worship.
- The Pastor whom the Lord will call through our congregation to serve as Associate Pastor for Youth and Outreach.
- Brian Werth, who continues to wait for a kidney transplant
Groundbreaking Ceremony this Sunday
All members of the congregation are invited to join us for a Groundbreaking Ceremony for our Growing in Grace building expansion after the 10:30 service this Sunday, December 11th. The ceremony will feature a brief history of the church and school and the recognition of the Theimer family involvement in every phase of our church and school's growth from Jeff Theimer. Pastor Wagner will lead the groundbreaking ceremony with prayers, Scripture, and song in celebration of and prayer for God's blessings upon the expansion of our ministries. Following that will be an opportunity for school students to take a photo with hard hats and shovels as we begin this Growing in Grace expansion to the glory of God! Make plans to join us. (The specific location of the beginning of the ceremony will be determined, based on the weather on Sunday.)
Divine Call Returned & Call Meeting
Pastor Brain Wrobel has returned his call to be Associate Pastor at Riverview. Click here to read his letter. Our next call meeting will be Monday, December 12, at 5:45 pm. All members are encouraged to attend.
Midweek Advent Worship
Join us this Wednesday at 3:30 or 6:30 pm for our final Advent midweek devotional service. Our guest preacher will be Pastor Daniel Johnston, focused on the theme, "A Savior is Born...to those in Darkness."
RLS Christmas Service
Join us Friday, December 16, at 6:30 pm, as the students of Riverview will be presenting The Birth Of Jesus: A Christmas Cantata. If you are not able to attend the evening service, you are welcome to the 8:30 am dress rehersal that morning. Both services will be held in the Activity Center.
Share the Good News of our Savior's Birth!
The Christmas season is a time when many people might be open to a personal invitation to worship. Think about friends or family who don't regularly attend a church (if you don't know, ask!). Pray for them and for the opportunity to invite them. We now have business cards available with our Christmas service times on them to use as you invite them. Take as many as you want!
Holiday & Sunday Worship Times
Below is our worship schedule for the upcoming holidays and surrounding Sundays. There will be no Sunday Bible Study or Sunday School on December 25 or January 1. There will be no Monday Bible Study or Bible Basics Class on December 26 or January 2.
- RLS Christmas Service - December 16 - 8:30 am & 6:30 pm
- Christmas Eve Worship - December 24 - 3:30 & 6:30 pm
- Christmas Day Worship with Holy Communion - December 25 - 9:30 am
- New Year's Eve Worship with Holy Communion - December 31 - 3:30 pm
- 1st Sunday after Christmas - January 1 - 9:30 am
- 1st Sunday after Epiphany - January 8 - 8:00 & 10:30 am (Bible Study & Sunday School resume)
College & Military Addresses Needed
Riverview would like to remember our college students and those serving in the military with care packages this Christmas and other encouragement throughout the year. If you or your child fall into one of those categories, please contact the church office with your contact info (school/branch, address, phone, email) or complete this form as soon as possible! Thank you!
Offering envelopes for 2023 have been placed in member mailboxes. Please pick yours up soon. God bless our giving back to him the first and the best of all that he has given to us!
69th Wedding Anniversary
With God’s blessing, Dean and Gertie Wink will be celebrating 69 years together on December 26th. Their family encourages anyone who knows them to please join in celebrating on their special day at Riverview Lutheran Church from 2:00-4:00 PM. This celebration will include vow renewal, hymn sing-along, social with light refreshments. Your presence would indeed be the greatest gift of all. Please RSVP to Julie Williams before December 18th @920-213-6828.
Serving this Weekend
- Greeters - Apitz & Jaeger Families
- Powerpoint Assistant - Claire Peters
- Ushers - Tom Olson, Mark Diersen, Dave Fischer, Ben Jaeger, Linda Zweig
- Greeters - Walker & Dobrunz Families
- Powerpoint Assistant - Lydia Walker
- Ushers - Dave Miller, Todd Blobe, Ryan Blobe, Jim Heiden, Bill & Linda Wenberg
Worship Times & Links
Sundays 8:00am (livestreamed), 10:30am
Fox Valley Lutheran High School Notes
- FVL BEACON now online and in print! FVL wants you to know what's happening at your high school. Print copies of the December issue are available at your church for those who prefer print copies. The December BEACON is also available online at fvlhs.org/BEACON.
- FVL Grads who were a part of the band program, please consider joining us for a special alumni band performance at Musicfest on Sunday, 2/5. Details and registration are at fvlhs.org/musicfest and registration deadline is 1/10.
- Registration is open for boys in grades 7-8 for baseball (registration closes 12/31). Go to fvlhs.org/youth-sports for details and to register.
- FVL is accepting applications for a full-time Media Coordinator, a part-time Custodian, a Guidance Assistant, and 1 maternity-leave substitute teacher. Go to fvlhs.org/about/employment for details.
- Information for the 2023 season for Lutheran Vanguard of Wisconsin (LVW), a WELS high school marching band, has been posted to its website. The season will begin with a rehearsal camp on Jan. 7-8 to be held at FVL. LVW is open to all WELS members in grades 8-12. The summer schedule, cost, registration procedures, and more can be found on the JOIN page. Go to lutheranvanguard.org or contact the LVW Executive Director James Neujahr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Families can enroll for Semester 2 at FVL. Contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com or 920-560-5105 for details.
- Housing is needed for one male and one female student teacher from MLC from 2/26 through 5/6. Neither of them have any allergies or special dietary needs. Please contact Principal Nolte (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or if you are able to help.
- FVL CHRISTMAS BREAK School & SCRIP Office Hours: Thurs., 12/22 – Wed., 1/4 – All Offices Closed (including Guidance) Thurs., 1/5 – Regular School & SCRIP Office hours resume
- The FVL Choirs invite you to attend their annual Christmas Concert on Sunday, 12/18 at 1 PM. The concert is free, and all are invited to join with the choirs as we celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus. It will also be livestreamed on the FVLHS YouTube Channel.
- Whether retirement is less than 5 years or more than 25 years from today, you have this special opportunity to hear from experts and get questions answered. Join us for the Retirement Planning seminar at FVL on Thursday, 1/19 at 6 PM. Go to fvlhs.org/seminar to register and get information.
Area WELS News
Trinity Lutheran Brillion will be hosting a Live Nativity for the community on Saturday, December 10, at Stone Prairie (Center Road) from 5:00-8:00pm. Come and hear the Christmas story of shepherds in the fields, angels in the night sky, and of our Savior’s humble birth. Actors will portray each role, along with a host of live animals, including a camel! Hot chocolate and cookies will be served. A new presentation will begin every half hour. Plan on joining us! Bring a friend!
- Horns A Plenty Christmas is an organization that offers horn players young and old the opportunity to come together and perform Christmas music for the general public. Guest artists are featured as a way to encourage the education and growth of participants, as well as to add their talent to the performance. This year’s concert will be held in the Fox Valley Lutheran High School auditorium on December 17th at 2:00 pm. Admission is free. Special guest artist is Joe Cradler, a member of The President’s Own United States Marine Band. For more information, please visit their website at https://www.hornsaplentychristmas.com/.