The Last Day:
Jesus promised, “I am coming soon” (Rev 22:12). But what does soon mean to the one who is the Alpha and Omega, the eternal God? We do not know. We want Christ to return quickly, because we know the Last Day will be a day of great deliverance for God’s people. But how long will we have to wait? Will it be in a few months or a few millennia? We cannot know.
A Day of Deliverance which God's People Eagerly Await
As we await Christ’s return, we want to avoid two extremes: impatience and indifference. Let us not despair if the deliverance of the Last Day does not come as quickly as we would like. But let us never doubt that that deliverance will indeed come. How do we avoid those extremes? How does Christ’s church remain ready and watchful? In this last week of the Church Year, our Savior does what he has done all year—point us to his Scriptures. The Scriptures record countless promises that have already been fulfilled in Christ. That assures us that the as-of-yet unfulfilled promises are as good as done. There is no doubting that the Last Day will come. There is no doubting it will be a day of blessed deliverance for God’s people. Join us for worship this Sunday at 8:00 or 10:30 am.
Please keep the following in your prayers:
- The Family of Earl Semrow, who was called home to heaven on Sunday, October 23.
- Our Congregation, as we wait for the Lord to provide another pastor to serve here.
- Brian Werth, who continues to wait for a kidney transplant
On Sunday, November 20, Mr. John Kolander will share information about the work of the Vulnerable Children's Foundation during the bible study hour (9:20-10:10) in the Fellowship Hall. This organization will also be one of the recipients for the Advent Giving Tree. Come and learn more!
Pastor Call Meeting
The next Divine Call Meeting will be Monday, November 21, at 6:00 pm. All members are encouraged to attend.
Join us for a special song service for Thanksgiving, "Psalms of Thankfulness and Praise," on Wednesday, November 23, at 6:30 pm; or Thursday, November 24, at 9:30 am. Featuring readings, hymns, psalms, prayers, and praise, we will thank our God with hearts and hands and voices.
Church Directory Photos - Last Date!
Universal Church Directories will be here Wednesday, November 23 from 10 am to 4 pm. This is the last day to have your family picture taken to be in the 2023 directory. Sign up by calling the church office or by visiting ucdir.com, clicking on "Photography Appointment Scheduling Login," and entering church code wi176 and password photos. We will welcome all walk-ins on Wednesday! College age members are encouraged to stop in for a photo.
Riverview members Colin Krueger and Elise Nolte performed in "Annie Get Your Gun" at Martin Luther College earlier this month. This was Colin's last college musical and Elise's first. God's blessings to both of them, as they continue to use the musical talents with which God has blessed them. Click here to read the KnightWatch weekly.
Midweek Advent Worship
A new church year begins with the Advent season on November 27. The season of Advent is a season of preparation, not just for our celebration of Savior’s first coming, but for our welcoming him when he comes again. During this special season, midweek devotional services will be held Wednesdays, November 30 – December 14, at 3:30 & 6:30 pm. (Note: there will not be Advent meals this year). This year’s theme is: “A Savior is Born…”
Advent and Holiday Worship Service Ushers
Please sign up on the counter in the church entryway if you are available to usher at 3:30 pm or 6:30 pm during Advent or for the Holiday Worship Services. We are especially looking for volunteers for Thanksgiving Day and the 6:30 pm Christmas Eve service. Please contact Kevin Wundrow with questions.
Advent By Candlelight
The women of Riverview Lutheran Church invite you to join us for Advent by Candlelight at 6:30 p.m. on December 3 at the gym at Riverview Lutheran School. Take time away from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season for fellowship and quiet reflection on the Word of God. All women and girls aged 3rd grade and older are welcome to join us. Desserts will be served. Please click here to RSVP by November 23. We hope to see you there!
Kwik Trip Scrip
Announcing NEW GROCERY ONLY cards for Kwik Trip!! These cards can be used only in the store to purchase grocery items, drinks, hot food, etc. (not good for alcohol, tobacco, or lottery tickets) These new cards will earn a 15% rebate from Scrip! The traditional fuel cards can still be used inside as well as at the pump, but they will only earn the typical 5% rebate.
If you are thinking of purchasing Scrip cards as Christmas gifts, please plan to order early. We aren’t able to keep all the different cards in stock and we want to make sure that we have time to get what you want before the holidays.
WELS Apple Valley Food Pantry
The December 2022 collection for the pantry will be the weekend of December 10th & 11th. The following is the list of items currently in need of at the pantry: chunky soups, pasta sauce (preferably in plastic jars) cream of mushroom soup, fruit cocktail/mixed fruit, applesauce, cookies, canned stews
diced tomatoes, ladies deodorants, cleaning products, hand soaps and laundry soaps (48 loads or less size jugs). Thank you for your generous support of the pantry during these challenging times. Just a gentle reminder that we do not give our recipients expired food because of many have health concerns.
Christmas Flowers and Decorations
If you would like to contribute to the RLS Flower Fund to decorate the church for the Christmas season, please use one of the marked envelopes by the hall bulletin board or mark "Flower Fund" on the "other" line of your offering envelope. (Please make checks payable to Riverview Lutheran.) Donations may be placed in the offering plate or taken to the church office.
Snow Blowing Brigade
Thank you to all the volunteers that have signed up to help with snow removal from our sidewalks. We are still looking for help. Please contact Jo Theimer in the church office if you are available. (920) 733-3728 or email@example.com
Thanksgiving Week Office Hours
11/23 - 11/25 No School - School and Church Offices closed (no scrip sales) 11/23 church photos from 10-4 (enter through church doors)
Serving this Weekend
- Greeters - Prey and D. VandenHeuvel Familes
- Powerpoint Assistant - Liam Kelley
- Ushers - Terry Wing, Dan & Diane VandenHeuvel, Tim Perry, Jeff Theimer, Ed VanDenHeuvel
- Greeters - Melso and Doran Families
- Powerpoint Assistant - Melso Family
- Ushers - Jerry Glaze, Dave & Barb Meyer, Jeff & Sara Dobrunz, Spencer Brooks
Serving for Thanksgiving Worship
Wednesday 6:30 pm Service
Thursday 9:30 am Service
- Greeters - Theimer and Shea Familes
- Livestream and Powerpoint Assistant - Hesse Family
- Ushers - Terry Wing, Mark Raschka, Justin Shea, Grant Shea
- Greeters -
- Powerpoint Assistant - Wagner Family
- Ushers - Roy Dumke
Worship Times & Links
Sundays 8:00am (livestreamed), 10:30am
Fox Valley Lutheran High School Notes
- Registration is open for girls in grades 4K-2 for a 11/25 dance camp, and boys in grades 7-8 for baseball (registration closes 12/31). Fox Valley Saints Wrestling is having a preview day for K-8 students on 12/4.Go to fvlhs.org/youth-sports for details and to register.
- FVL is accepting applications for a full-time Media Coordinator, a part-time Custodian, and 2 temporary maternity-leave substitute teachers. Go to fvlhs.org/about/employment for details.
- Information for the 2023 season for Lutheran Vanguard of Wisconsin (LVW), a WELS high school marching band, has been posted to its website. The season will begin with a rehearsal camp on January 7-8 to be held at FVL. LVW is open to all WELS members in grades 8-12. The summer schedule, cost, registration procedures, and more can be found on the JOIN page. Go to lutheranvanguard.org or contact the LVW Executive Director James Neujahr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FVL and FVL Schools are again sponsoring the broadcast of the Appleton Christmas Parade! Watch for the FVL Schools and FVL commercial, and tune in for FVL Admissions Director Joe Blum's live interview from downtown Appleton. The date is Tues., 11/22 at 7 PM. Check it out on WFRV-TV5.
- Special SCRIP and Office Hours: 11/23 - 11/25 No School - SCRIP and School Office closed
Area WELS News
Trinity Lutheran Brillion will be hosting a Live Nativity for the community on Saturday, December 10, at Stone Prairie (Center Road) from 5:00-8:00pm. Come and hear the Christmas story of shepherds in the fields, angels in the night sky, and of our Savior’s humble birth. Actors will portray each role, along with a host of live animals, including a camel! Hot chocolate and cookies will be served. A new presentation will begin every half hour. Plan on joining us! Bring a friend!
- GriefShare - Surviving the Holidays - Wondering how you will survive the weeks surrounding Thanksgiving and Christmas? Are you dreading these holidays, knowing that everything has changed and that happy memories from past years can't be recreated? Our Surviving the Holidays seminar is especially for people who are grieving a loved one's death. You'll learn: How to deal with the many emotions you'll face during the holidays, What to do about traditions and other coming changes, Helpful tips for surviving social events, How to discover hope for your future. About the event - Here's what happens at a Surviving the Holidays seminar - A Surviving the Holidays event lasts for about two hours. You'll be welcomed by warm, caring people who understand what you are going through and who want to help. During the seminar, you will: Watch a 40-minute video, filled with practical holiday survival tips and the real-life stories of people who have navigated the season after their loved one's death. Hear other seminar attendees explain how they are dealing with the holidays. Have the opportunity to share how grief is affecting you. (No pressure—this is optional. We want you to feel comfortable.) Receive a personal copy of the GriefShare Holiday Survival Guide.