Dear Friends of Scott & Taun Hall,
As you know, FOSATH administrators recently met with Police Chief Chaplin and City Manager Buckshi. We intend to send the below follow up letter. If you do not wish to be cc'd on this letter, please email us and we will remove your name.
Chief Chaplin and Mr. Buckshi-
Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedules to meet with us recently. We appreciated the opportunity to share our concerns and hear your input about the circumstances surrounding the death of Miles Hall. Despite the difficult topic, we felt you were open to the dialogue and receptive to us.
Please let us know when we may hear back about our requests, which are:
1. We request that you identify a city staff member who can facilitate our communication with city and police department leaders.
2. We request formation of a citizen advisory committee that can a) review the evidence in this case and offer input, and b) work with the Walnut Creek Police Department to review policies and practices related to crisis intervention, implicit racial bias and use of lethal force. This committee could suggest opportunities for policy/protocol innovation that could safeguard community members and protect police officers. Note: our group is forming several subcommittees dedicated to researching best practices in these areas, and therefore can recommend citizen advisory committee members as needed.
3. We would like to have a community meeting to discuss the above topics, and would like to include the following invitees (not an exhaustive list):
- Walnut Creek Police Department leaders
- Walnut Creek City Council members and staff
- Representatives from the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office
- Members of Friends of Scott and Taun Hall (currently 196 members)
- Members of the Walnut Creek community, generally
- Representatives of organizations that have proven and promising innovations to share in the areas of a) crisis intervention, b) implicit bias training, and c) alternatives to lethal force.
Please let us know when we might hear back regarding the above requests. Thank you, again, for your engagement so far and your continued attention to these requests.
Friends of Scott and Taun Hall (administrators)
Cc: Friends of Scott and Taun Hall (members)
Cc: Walnut Creek City Council
Cc: Contra Costa County DA’s Office