Epilepsy Awareness MonthLetter from the Chief Executive Officer
March Epilepsy Awareness Month is just around the corner and as always, I would like to encourage you to get involved. Help spread awareness in your community to end the stigma and stereotypes that exist. This year, we are encouraging local sports teams to show support by wearing purple during one of their home games; as well, our new Purple Door Campaign is a great way for your school or workplace to get involved. We have lots of exciting initiatives planned, visit our website to find out more information and join a local event. Become an #epilepsywarrior and join our #purplenation!
Living With Epilepsy
Chief Executive Officer
Michael L'Ecuyer was diagnosed with Epilepsy at 17 years old, when he first experienced symptoms of focal seizures which got serious very quickly. Jim and Audrey L'Ecuyer, his parents, began frantically searching for a treatment, running from hospital to hospital. After a frustrating chase, the doctors had found a benign tumor in the brain, which explained the reason for Michael's sudden seizures.
Through trial and error, Michael was put on a variety of medications, simultaneously helping but also worsening his symptoms. With very limited resources on epilepsy available, Jim and Audrey were determined to push through with surgery to have the tumor removed. Fortunately, Michael was put on the emergency list and proceeded with the surgery within a few months. The L'Ecuyer family is happy to announce that Michael is currently seizure free.
Throughout the process, Jim and Audrey felt that the biggest struggle was that they were navigating the healthcare system on their own, alone to understand and find available treatment options regarding epilepsy, without guides or educators. When Jim and Audrey discovered the Clinic To Community (C2C) program, they were delighted to know that newly diagnosed patients with epilepsy and families were assisted and reassured. Amazed at C2C, Jim immediately expressed the desire to make a donation, to ESWO of $20,000 under the Donna L’Ecuyer Foundation. They hope to assist in the continuation of support, as many programs were unavailable while they were struggling with Michael's condition.
"As C2C is available, be sure to use it. It's great because right away it provides a special assessment about you and your type of seizure. Instead of reading general information on the internet, immediately patients could start to make sense of their condition; presented with options to understand who you need to engage with to cope."
A Night at the Junos Gala
33rd Annual Spring Gala
Join us on the red carpet to dance and sing the night away as we celebrate a 'Night at the Junos', to be held on Saturday, April 6, 2019.
The event will include a catered dinner, live entertainment from local talent, silent auction and recognition of our H.O.P.E. award recipient, Kathy Speechley. Healthcare professionals, stakeholders and members of the corporate community will join us for a night full of fun and entertainment.
Where: Brookside Banquet Centre
When: Saturday, April 6, 2019. Doors open at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets: $100 / ticket. Reserve a table of 8 for $800
Purple Nation 2019
Payment: Purchase online, through cheque made payable to ‘Epilepsy Southwestern Ontario’ or by calling 519.433.4073
To become an event sponsor or contribute to the silent auction, please contact email@example.com
March Epilepsy Awareness Month
March is national Epilepsy Awareness Month! We encourage our community members to get involved in raising awareness about epilepsy, seizures and seizure first aid in as many ways as possible. Whether it is creating an event, joining a campaign, volunteering, or fundraising, there are many opportunities for anyone to get involved.
The Purple Door Campaign
Unite Through Sport
- This year, we’re excited to launch #THEPURPLEDOOR2019 campaign! We have invited schools and workplaces to participate and be entered into a draw to win a prize.
- Submit a photo of your decorated door between March 1, 2019 and March 31, 2019 and be entered in to win. Be sure to share your photo using the hashtag #THEPURPLEDOOR2019 on social media.
Regional Events or Initiatives
- Help spread awareness by including purple in your hockey, basketball or other team uniform. It can be as simple as using purple tape on sticks, changing skate/shoe laces from white to purple, wearing purple socks or headbands, or having a purple ribbon sticker on helmets. Share your photos with firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be sure to check our purple nation page for other local events/fundraisers, presentations, or awareness initiatives taking place near you! We appreciate your help in spreading awareness!
We Need Your Help!
Please Take The Time To Fill Out This Quick Form
There are 95,000 people living with epilepsy in Ontario. Programs that support teacher and student education, employment support, coping and system navigation for people living with epilepsy/ seizures and their families are not currently government funded.
Community epilepsy agencies have been meeting with their local MPPs and our Ministers sharing the needs in our communities. We're hoping to fund the Clinic To Community Program (www.clinictocommunity.ca) and similar programs across Ontario.
WHAT YOU CAN DO: Tell them about how community epilepsy agencies / Epilepsy Southwestern Ontario, meeting with educators and epilepsy has impacted your life.
Show your support for epilepsy education and support programs. Send a short, pre-written email to the Ministers of Health and Finance by clicking here: https://form.jotform.com/83524151822250
YEP! Youth Retreat
Save the Date YEP! Families
Our YEP! participants are invited to participate in a youth retreat March 23-24, 2019. The retreat will encompass outdoor and indoor fun and games, relationship building, and epilepsy empowerment tools.
The YEP! retreat will be held at the Bryson Centre. The Bryson Centre is in the heart of London and surrounded by forests.
You must have attended at least one YEP! session in order to participate in this retreat.
Contact email@example.com by February 25, 2019 to register.
|Epilepsy LinksWhat's happening on the internet
|Regional News & EventsLondon Middlesex
Support Group Meeting
Game On Winter/Spring 2019
- Third Tuesday of every month, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Next Meeting Dates:
- March 19, 2019 with EEG technologist guest speaker
- April 16, 2019
- Discuss experiences and learn new information in a judgement-free environment
- ESWO Main Office - 797 York St. Unit 3, London
- Please RSVP to 519.433.4073 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Game On is a Saturday morning program in London, ON throughout the school year. This professionally developed program helps children with neurological conditions improve their physical literacy skills, confidence and social skills that are important when participating in gym class, recreation and sports activities.
Remaining Winter/Spring 2019 Dates:
- March 2, 2019
- March 9, 2019
- March 16, 2019
- March 23, 2019
To learn more or register head over to https://epilepsyswo.ca/game-on/
Epilepsy Awareness Month Client Purple Party
London Lightning 50/50
- Come celebrate Epilepsy Awareness Month with us on Tuesday, March 19, 2019 from 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at our office for our Purple Party!
- Explore your creativity as Evolve Nonprofit Organization leads a Paint Night activity. All ages welcome. Don't forget to wear the colour purple and bring your appetite for pizza! Feel free to stay for our Support Group following the Purple Party.
- RSVP required to email@example.com to secure Paint Night spaces. Paint spaces limited.
- Not much of a painter - no problem! Come join the party to socialize with other clients and staff.
Sky Zone Fundraiser
- ESWO is hosting the 50/50 at the London Lightning game on March 7, 2019. Come to the game to purchase your tickets and merchandise, or if you are interested in volunteering contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Party: Sam Jam
- Join us on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. for a jump at Sky Zone.
- Show this flyer and $5 from each $20-60 minute jump pass will go back to ESWO.
- Big thank you to Mike and family for hosting the 7th Annual Sam Jam Event on December 2, 2018 at the London Music Club.
- The event was a great success with over 70 in attendance and $378 raised for ESWO. The open mic fundraiser is held in memory of Sam (Fen) who was lost to epilepsy on December 22, 2010.
- Thank you to those in attendance and support. We look forward to next year’s event.
Chatham Kent Public Libraries and Seizure 101 Presentations
Six of the busier branches of the Chatham Kent Public Library system are hosting Seizure 101 presentations in their communities.
- March 19, 2019 - Wallaceburg Library at 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- March 19, 2019 - Dresden Library at 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- March 25, 2019 - Chatham Library at 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- March 26, 2019 - Tilbury Library at 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Purple Day)
- March 28, 2019 - Blenheim Library at 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- March 28, 2019 - Ridgetown Library at 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Purple Pansy Tulip Campaign
All of the Chatham Kent Public Libraries are participating in the Purple Door Campaign. Visit in person or see their creations on ESWO's facebook page
- The Purple Pansy Flower Boutique in Chatham is selling pre-ordered bouquets of tulips again this year with proceeds being directed to ESWO. Residents of Ridgetown and Blenheim can pick up their pre-ordered bouquets at the local library on March 28, 2019 during the Seizure 101 presentation.
Windsor EssexSupport Group Meeting
Annual Strike Out Epilepsy
- Third Tuesday of every month, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Next Meeting Dates:
- March 19, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- Discuss experiences and learn new information in a judgement-free environment
- Location: United Way - 300 Giles Blvd E, Windsor, ON
- Please RSVP to 519.890.6614 or email@example.com
Third Party: Murdoch Outdoor Classic Fundraiser
- Join us to Strike Out Epilepsy on Sunday, March 31, 2019 from 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at Rev's Rose Bowl in Windsor, ON.
- Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children which includes 2 hours of bowling and shoe rental.
- ESWO is hosting a 50/50 at the event. Let's make this the biggest one yet!
- RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519.890.6614
- Midget Minor sponsored by WINMAR, and Bantam Major sponsored by Breadth Consulting participated in a friendly skills competition and scrimmage on the January 6 weekend as part of the Murdoch Outdoor Classic.
- With a matched donation by WINMAR, a total of $700 was raised for ESWO.
- Special thanks to WMHA sponsor Rob Vidamour, James Bornais and WINMAR.
Seizure 101 Presentations come to Windsor Essex Public Libraries
Six of the busier branches of the Windsor Essex Public Library system are hosting Seizure 101 presentations in their communities.
Third Party: Carrots N Dates
- March 5, 2019 - Amherstburg Branch at 11:00 a.m
- March 7, 2019 - Kingsville-Highline Branch at 6:30 p.m.
- March 18, 2019 - Lasalle-Bill Varga Branch at 6:30 p.m.
- March 25, 2019 - Harrow Branch at 6:30 p.m.
- March 26, 2019 - Tecumseh-Cada Branch at 6:30 p.m. (Purple Day)
- March 27, 2019 - Essex Branch at 6:30 p.m.
Sarnia LambtonThird Party: Purple Day for Epilepsy Hosted by All About Horses Thedford
- On August 14, 2018 Carrots N Dates held a 2 for 1 Pad Thai day with a suggested $5 donation to ESWO.
- They were able to raise a total of $1063.63 for ESWO. Thank you for all for your hard work!
- All About Horses will be hosting an open house on Sunday, March 24, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Activities include pony/horse rides for donation, grooming, face painting, etc. Any and all individuals welcome to come out and try horseback riding. Food and drink available for donation.
- All proceeds donated to ESWO