Happy New Year!Letter from the Executive Director
Hello Epilepsy Warriors! Are you ready for March Epilepsy Awareness month?
Our #purplenation needs to come together and teach others about epilepsy! Please invite your friends and family to wear purple, host events or even just challenge them to tell at least 10 people about epilepsy. We have lots of big plans ourselves and are super excited about the Epilepsy Information Day Conference on Saturday, March 4th. Our team has pulled together expert speakers on the topics that you told us were important to you. It will be a great day and we can't wait to see you there!
Here at the office we continue to grow! We have a new Windsor colleague (Christine Rossi-Wright), who joined our team in December, our Client Services Manager Jeremy welcomed his third little pumpkin (Jameson) to his family in January, and our Administrative Assistant Reem is sporting a little baby bump expected to arrive in April. Our office building is still up for sale and we are hoping to be settled into a new home by the summer! We will keep you in the loop the whole way.
Enjoy the newsletter!
PurpleNationMarch Epilepsy Awareness Month
March is national Epilepsy Awareness Month! We encourage our community members to get involved in raising awareness about epilepsy, seizures and seizure first aid in as many ways as possible. If you, a loved one, a colleague, or an acquaintance has epilepsy, take this opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of everyone living with seizure disorders. Share your Epilepsy Awareness Month initiatives with us by completing the participation form.
How do I Get Involved?
- Organize a Purple Dress Down Day at your office, school, or local business. Everyone makes a donation to participate.
- Collect pledges to dye your hair purple. Pledge forms available here.
- Participate in our Seniors Day Challenge
We have a FREE package for teachers and students. In order to participate, you must contact your local Public Education Coordinator to order. Contact Information.
WINDSOR & THAMES VALLEY REGIONS
Domino's Pizza of Canada Ltd- PurpleNation School Fundraiser is back! We have teamed up with Domino's Pizza of Canada Ltd. to help raise funds for both your school and Epilepsy SWO. Fundraising packages will be provided. Pizza parties must be held on March 27, 28, 29 or 30th, 2017.
Poster and registration found here.
Visit our PurpleNation page for information about March Epilepsy Awareness Month: www.epilepsysupport.ca/purplenation2017
Youth ProgrammingOntario Trillium Foundation (OTF) Funding Announcement
We have exciting news! Thanks to the generousity of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, ($182,300 over 3 years), Epilepsy Southwestern Ontario is introducing a youth engagement program called YEP!. This program is geared toward youth aged 12-18 living with epilepsy. YEP! will encourage youth to join the #purplenation, meet other youth living with epilepsy, share their experiences, have their voices heard and live like an #epilepsywarrior! Watch our newsletter for further information, or call the office for more details.
Please join us in thanking the Ontario Trillium Foundation for investing in youth living with epilepsy!
Game On registration is still open for the Winter 2017 session and will be opening soon for the Spring 2017 session.
Find out more information about our current Game On session, including Saturday dates here.
|Regional News & Events
Epilepsy Information Day Conference
- Saturday, March 4, 2017 / 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Catholic Central Secondary School, 450 Dundas St. London
- $25 per person (includes lunch)
- One day educational conference for people with epilepsy, their families and caregivers. Will include expert guest speakers and information sessions on a number of relevant and important topics pertaining to epilepsy. Come learn the latest on treatment, management and research in the world of epilepsy.
- More information available on our website.
Back to the 80s - Annual Gala
- Dust off your leg warmers and join us for a night of big hair, big fun and an opportunity to make a big difference
- Saturday, April 1, 2017 / 6:00pm
- Brookside Banquet Centre, 99 Brookside St., London
- Tickets: $100 includes dinner
- Visit www.epilepsysupport.ca/events/gala2017 for more information and to purchase tickets.
Adult Social Club
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 / 1:00pm
- London Office, 690 Hale St.
- More information available online.
Purple Day Agency Party
- Tuesday, March 28, 2017 / 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Location to be determined
- Stay tuned for more information, check our website for updates.
- Save the date: March 1, 2017 / 6:00pm
- Salvation Army Building, 46 Orangewood Blvd, Chatham
- Contact Tabitha for more information, email@example.com
Chatham-Kent Fire/EMS/Police partnership
- All Fire department and EMS staff to be trained in seizure recognition and first aid
- Fire department to do home fire safety inspections for any interested clients and help to develop safety plans
- Police have launched the Vulnerable Person's Registry and we're encouraging clients to add their seizure information to that registry to enhance safety in the community
- Stay tuned for a fun-filled kick off event in Chatham!
Monthly Support Group Meeting
- Tuesday, February 18, 2017 / 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- United Way Windsor-Essex, 300 Giles Blvd. E, Windsor
- Please RSVP to Christine: 519-890-6614, firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information online.
Information & Awareness Booth
- Saturday, March 25, 2017 / 9:30am - 6:00pm
- Devonshire Mall Food Court, 3100 Howard Ave, Windsor
- Come visit staff and volunteers. More information online.
Strike Out Epilepsy Bowling Event
- Sunday, March 26, 2017 / 6:00pm
- REVS Rose Bowl, 2482 Dougall Avenue, Windsor
- $2.50 per game, including shoe rental
- Visit our website for more event information.
- Please RSVP to Christine: 519-890.6614, email@example.com