Dear Parents & Carers,
Firstly we send you, your young musicians and families our very best of wishes at this strange and unsettling time.
We wanted to give you a few updates:
Musical resources for use at home
Please try to consider the needs of freelancer tutors and small organisations
- Within the ‘Families’ section of our website, we’re creating a new list of links to useful, fun and educational(!) musical activities that you and / or your children can use from home. The page will be here and will grow in the coming weeks so if, in a first visit, there’s not much there yet, don’t despair!
- If you have ideas or suggestions for links that can be added, please let us know by emailing us
Our Associate Tutors and Organisations (for whom we are neither employer nor agent) are the lifeblood of music education and we’re very concerned for their financial welfare at this difficult time.
Many may will find themselves unable to earn because the places in which they normally deliver work are closed and so they’re in a very vulnerable place, one which isn’t likely to have priority consideration in Government’s provision for small businesses and the self-employed.
If you’re worrying about your child’s tuition or instrument hire next academic year?
- If you can manage it, we’d like you to consider how you might help them get through this, particularly in terms of tuition or sessions you may already have booked or paid for
- Some providers will be offering additional resources / workplans and possibly online / video lessons – we hope that you’ll feel able to accept these as alternatives to face to face experiences and indeed be comfortable with safeguarding solutions they offer. All of our Associates have safeguarding measures in place but video / facetime / skype tuition etc. is a new and additional dimension
- We’d also ask that you take a look at the campaign for including those self-employed people in sick pay here
With best wishes,
- We recognise that many of you may also be facing worrying challenges around work and income and wanted to draw your attention to our scheme for subsidy for Instrumental & Vocal Tuition for next academic year which can be requested for pupils learning in school with our Associates. This has to be requested through your school – details are here
- We’re looking to revise deadlines for subsidy requests and speed up the time within which we respond.
From the team at Wiltshire Music Connect