The committee met by video-conference on Sunday morning to review how things stand for the club and to update our plans to manage the extraordinary circumstances we’re facing. We want to keep you up to date with what we’re doing and, where relevant, highlight what you can do to help to secure the club’s future.
Our current focus is on:
- Ensuring the club remains financially sound in both the short and long term
- Checking the decisions we make and actions we take now will help us bounce back strongly as soon as we’re able to reopen
- Stopping or minimising all discretionary costs and expenditure
- Working closely with Brett McFarlane to define specific actions and tasks for him that will have greatest benefit to the club
- Making the most of the club and court closure to carry out maintenance or repairs by volunteers
- Looking after the physical security of the club when it is not being actively used
- Adhering to physical (‘social’) distancing and other government requirements related to COVID-19
As I wrote last week, the club is in reasonable shape financially, and we believe we can remain that way for several months based on the scenarios we’ve modelled and on gaining access to government assistance programs. However, this also depends heavily on the support that you, our members, continue to provide to the club in maintaining your membership and paying your bills. I want to thank each of you personally for your continued commitment at a time when every member has been affected by COVID-19, and some of you very significantly.
The committee is conscious that events continue to move rapidly, and we will be monitoring the situation closely for any implications for the club. For the immediate future, the committee will meet weekly and more often if necessary to deal with any changes that affect us. I’ll keep you updated with any developments after each meeting.
In the meantime do let me know if you have any specific questions or if you have compelling ideas you’d like us to consider.
Please take care of yourselves and your families.
With best wishes,
President, Hobart Real Tennis Club