Welcome to WITSWORDS April 2015.
WITS Membership 2015
Renewal emails have been sent to everyone on the WITS mailing list. Thank you if you have renewed your membership for 2015. Otherwise do renew your WITS membership for 2015 here.
Inspirefest 2015, 18, 19 June 2015, Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin.
We are delighted to announce that Silicon Republic is offering 2015 WITS members a special discounted rate of €190 (usual cost €450) to attend Inspirefest 2015. Please email WITS for the promotional code and instructions here. Keep an eye on the programme, lots of good things.
WITS was at:
- International Year of Light 2015 launch at the Spire 13 March 2015. WITS was well represented at the launch of the International Year of Light at the Spire on Friday 13 March. WITS Executive members were part of the event, Eithne McCabe spoke and Laura Tobin was part of the organising committee. As you can see Marion Palmer and Mary Mulvihill were there. It was great fun seeing our tweets on the Spire and watching the lights. A great celebration of light.
WITS Executive meeting 6 May 2015 6.30 pm Science Gallery
- 16 April 2015 WITS and TCD Women in Physics International Year of the Light event WITS members are invited to our Focus on Women in Light event on April 16 as part of the International Year of Light 2015. It is a two-part event with a seminar and Masterclass aimed (particularly at women) with a particular focus on early career researchers. Attendance is free but registration is requested. More information here.
- 25 April 2015 #wearehere Unconference to celebrate Tech Week 2015. Booking is now open here and tickets cost €10. Vicky Twomey Lee is the WITS Exec member working with #wearehere.
The next meeting of the WITS Executive.
- Honeycomb Digital Bootcamp Thursday 30 April, 2015 09:00 - Friday 01 May, 2015 17:00 Where: Creative Spark, Clontygora Court, Muirhevnamore, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland Price:FREE This is a career development opportunity for women which Honeycomb has developed.Applications close Friday April 17th. More details and apply via http://thehoneycomb.net/events/leadership.
- 18, 19 June Inspirefest 2015, Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin.
- 20 June Soapbox Science Ulster Museum Belfast. Click here for more information.
Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy. The consultation paper on a successor to science, technology and innovation strategy available here was issued in February with submissions required by March 23. It is very poor on gender and STEM and WITS submitted our response.
Irish Science Teachers' Association PharmaChemical Ireland Science Educator of the Year 2015
Congratulations to Sheila Porter WITS member on being awarded the Science Educator of the Year award for 2015. This annual award recognises contributions to science education. Sheila is the founder and CEO of SciFest the science fairs for second level students.
Sunday Business Post SWIPE Summit
The Sunday Business Post is holding a tech summit on 28 May 2015. WITS supported the call by DigiWomen, PyLadies Dublin, Coding Grace and Girl Geek Dinners for gender balance in the speakers. What was an all male line up now has about 30% women. Thanks to Pauline Sargent and Vicky Twomey Lee for this.
STEM Research Centres and gender - is it equality just lip service?
Sadhbh McCarthy's International Women's Day blog post notes the lip service to gender equality in public policy with the all male founder members of the SFI funded Insight Centre for Data Analytics. Do read.
Startup Dublin Community Fund
Are you an interested in running events, campaigns around entrepreneurship, creativity, innovation, and startups in Dublin. The Startup Dublin Community Fund may be able to support you. Click on the link to find out more.
EU Science It's a Girl thing initiative March newsletter here.
TRUSS Training in Reducing Uncertainty in Structural Safety PhD studentships now available. Closing date 1 May.
Inspiring Fifty: Europe
Inspiring Fifty is a pan-European programme that identifies, encourages, develops and showcases women in leadership positions within the technology sector. It published its fifty most inspiring women in tech earlier this year. Congratulations to Elaine Coughlan Co-Founder and General Partner of Atlantic Bridge Capiltal and Louise O'Sullivan CEO at Anam Technologies the two Irish women on the list. Dr Sue Black of Tech Mums is also on the list.
WITS is a member of the National Women's Council of Ireland and we aim to work with them on issues for women in STEM.
Book Launch World Within Walls: From Asylum to Contemporary Mental Health Services.
Where: Iontas Theatre Castleblayney Co Monaghan
When: Thursday 23 April 2015 at 6 pm.
WITS member Anne Mac Lellan, with fellow authors Niamh Nic Ghabhann and Fiona Byrne have written a history of St Davnet's in Monaghan, the former asylum. It is being launched by Professor Brendan Kelly Consultant Psychiatrist and historian of Irish psychiatric history. If any member would like to attend please RSVP to email@example.com. Congratulation Anne and colleagues and best wishes for the launch. Last year Anne's book Dorothy Stopford Price was launched.
We welcome news from members. If you have events, initiatives or just something you think of interest to WITS members please email WITS and we'll include it in the next newsletter.