This is the first newsletter for 2014. The Executive is planning events for the year. The first WITS event is the unFAIL unconference as part of the #werearehere collective on 8 March. We hope to include member profiles in the newsletters. Our first profile is Triona O'Connell a new Executive member. More to come.
WITS had a busy year in 2013. There were five events for members including Jocelyn Bell Burnell's presentation and interview. Catch up on all the events and news from the Executive here.
WITS was at:
15 January 2014 Accenture/Silicon Republic research launch Powering economic growth: Attracting more young women into science and technology. Accenture Grand Canal Square, Dublin 2
30 January 2014 US Consulate Belfast Reception for Andrew O’Brien who is the US State Department Special Representative for Global Partnerships http://www.state.gov/s/partnerships/.
WITS membership for 2014 is now open. Please click here to renew your membership. We rely on membership to fund WITS activities.
We are seeking corporate members. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WITS as part of #wearehere collective unconference 8 March 2014
Following the successful #wearehere event back in November WITS is partnering with the #wearehere collective to run an unconference unFAIL on International Women's Day. Topics will be attendees' own experiences through failure and how they got through it. There will be a fee to cover costs. More information to follow.
- Engineers Week Countrywide 9-15 February 2014 Great programme of events.
- Engineers Without Borders EWB 13 February 2014 Engineers Ireland, Clyde Rd, Dublin 4. Register here.
- Silicon Republic Future Jobs Forum, 21 February 2014, The Convention Centre, Dublin 1.
- Soapbox Science Dublin 26 April 2014 Speakers and volunteers requested. To find out more click here.
Here are some workshops of interest to members. Please click on the links for further information. Please email WITS if you know of any workshops/seminars that members would find useful.
Here are two workshops links:
- Women into Leadership
- Female friendly coding workshops
“Double X” Women into Leadership 1 day Workshop
26th March 2014
Beacon Hotel, Sandyford, Co Dublin
Would you like to be able to:
If so, maybe the “Double X” Women into Leadership workshop is for you.
- Articulate a business case for more gender balanced organisations
- Recognise barriers to women’s progress in the workplace
- Identify an action plan to move closer to realising your full potential in the workplace?
For more information, see http://doublex.ie/home/upcoming-workshops or contact Mary Carroll at 087 9933451
Female friendly coding workshops
Click here to find out about a range of coding workshops on Introduction to R, Python, Ruby, Processing and Game Art workshops from Coding Grace.
- Silicon Republic's Championing the role of women in science, technology, engineering and maths March 2013 - March 2014 #WomenInvent
STEM and Careers