|WITS 2019 Mary Mulvihill Lecture
Dr Sandra Collins, Director of the National Library of Ireland gave the 4th Mary Mulvihill Lecture on Wednesday 30 October 2019 at the National Library. The lecture Collecting and Keeping the National Memory was informative and engaging, read about it here. At the lecture were, from left to right, Julie Hogan WITS Chair, Dr Andrea Johnson and Michelle McDaid Workhuman (WITS Corporate member) and our speaker Dr Sandra Collins. Thanks to Dr Collins and the National Library of Ireland for supporting the event.
Welcome to WITSWORDS November 2019
Hello and welcome to this issue of WITSWORDS. We hope you enjoy it.
Our next issue will be in December 2019 after the 2019 AGM. If you have events, initiatives or just something you think may be of interest to WITS members please email WITS before 30 November 2019 and we'll include it in the next issue.
Dates for your diary - upcoming WITS events
WITS AGM 2019 30 November 2019 11 am
The 2019 WITS AGM will be held on Saturday 30 November 2019 at Hilton Garden Hotel Customs House, Dublin 1. Nominations and proposals for rule changes are now closed. The AGM Information Pack will be circulated to members on 20 November.
Collecting and Keeping the National Memory. The 2019 Mary Mulvihill Lecture
Thanks to all who attended the 2019 Mary Mulvihill Lecture by Dr Sandra Collins, Director of the National Library Ireland. Read about it here.
My Journey from WITS Student Member to WITS Executive Member.
Thanks to Sinead Carroll for her interesting web post on her journey with WITS. Read it here.
Student membership 2019-2020
Renew your student membership here. Information about student membership and how to join is here.
TU Dublin ESTeEM
WITS was at TU Dublin ESTeEM (Equality in Science and Technology by Engaged Educational Mentoring) event on 17 October 2019. Read about the event here. In the photo are Leslie Shoemaker TU Dublin and Coordinator of the ESTeEM Mentoring Project, Nicola Sharkey WITS Executive and Dr Marie Barrett WITS Treasurer.
WITS was at:
- 10 October Dublin Tech Summit Women in Tech awards
- 17 October TU Dublin Kevin St ESTeEM (Equality in Science and Technology by Engaged Educational Mentoring) event.
- 29 October The Wheel Visual Storytelling workshop.
Thank you for members' news. Send anything you'd like to share with WITS members to email@example.com and we'll feature it here. We welcome member's profiles for the WITS website, send us about 100 words and a head shot.
Help please - Carlow/Kilkenny/Waterford STEM speaker request to members
WITS has been contacted by a guidance counsellor from a girl's school in Carlow town. It has 1100 girls and she would love a speaker to inspire interest in STEM to 6th year students. Email WITS if you are happy to speak to the girls or can suggest someone. If you are a WITS student member at IT Carlow this may be an interesting opportunity for you.
ESB Creative Tech Fest 2019
Congratulations to ESB on the ESB Creative Tech Fest 2019 held on 30 October 2019 at the Convention Centre Dublin.
Images of Women in STEM
Images of Women in STEM sought as part of the Wiki Science Competition 2019. Thanks to Rebecca O'Neill WITS Secretary and Project Coordinator Wikimedia Community Ireland for the news of the competition. More here.
New OSA 2020 Ambassador
Dr Niamh Kavanagh is now an 2020
#OSAAmbassador. Find out more about the Optical Society's Ambassador programme. Congratulations Niamh, you'll be a great ambassador.
Athena Swan Awards October 2019
The Business Information Systems Department in UCC has been awarded a bronze Athena Swan award. Thanks to WITS member Dr Carolanne Mahony a lecturer in the department and a member of the department Athena Swan committee for the news. Here is Dr. Ciara Heavin accepting the award on behalf of the department. Ciara is the chair of the department Athena Swan committee. Also in the picture from our department are Prof. Frederick Adam and Dr. Wendy Rowan. Congratulations to all.
|Women in Tech Awards 2019
Congratulations to all the winners at Women in Tech Awards held on 11 October at the RDS. WITS Corporate member Accenture won the Diverse Company of the Year awards and CWIT Connecting Women in Technology the Women in Tech Initiative award, congratulations. Have a look at the photos of the event.
TU Dublin wins European Award for Gender Equality in Technology
Computer Science academics at TU Dublin are the winners of the Informatics Europe Equality Award for a range of gender equality initiatives and policies to develop the careers of female faculty staff. Congratulations to Dr Deirdre Lillis, Head of Computer Science at TU Dublin, City Centre and Dr Susan McKeever, Senior Lecturer at TU Dublin who received the prize on behalf of TU Dublin. Read about the award here.
Science and Tech News
Science Week 2019
- NASA astronauts carried out all first all-female spacewalk. Read about it here and here.
- The Mary Mulvihill Award 2020 science media competition for third level students is open on the theme of Our Scientific Heritage. Find out more here. Make your submission by 31 March 2020.
- Thinking about a career in data science but not sure where to start? Check out these tips from those already working in the field. From Silicon Republic
Science Week runs from 10-17 November. There are 13 regional festivals as well as individual events here. Here are a few that caught our eye,
- We are All Scientists is a Science Gallery Dublin pop up exhibition at CHQ Building, Dublin 1 from 10-17 November. It invites visitors to engage in five creative experiments to see if they possess the key characteristics of a scientist.
- Baking in Space runs in Dublin, Galway and Cork from 11-13 November 2019 presented by British Council Ireland. Join Dr Niamh Shaw and others to explore how to bake bread in space. Information and booking here.
- ICS and AWS Women’s Leadership Workshop is a two-day experiential workshop to develop and hone leadership skills & soft skills from 8-9 January 2020. Find out more and book your place here.
- Research Leaders 2025 Call 2 now open for expressions of interest. Closing date is 13 November 2019. Full details of the Research Leaders 2025 (RL2025) programme can be found here.
- SMART4.0 Call 1 for Post doctoral fellowships now open. Find out more here. Closing date is 31 December 2019.
- Women in Apprenticeship Lunch, 1 pm, 8 November. TU Dublin Bolton St. Book here. Great to see this networking event for women in apprenticeships. Enjoy!
- Interesting article ion the increased numbers doing honours Maths. Headline is 'Rise in honours Maths uptake to attain bonus points 'has not improved standards''. Read it in the Independent.
Gender Equality Index 2019
The 2019 Gender Equality Index has been published by the European Institute for Gender Equality. Out of a score of 100, Ireland is at 71.3 compared to the EU average of 67.4. More here.
Equal Pay Day 4 November 2019
Women in the European Union still earn on average 16% less than men, a slight improvement from last year's 16.2%. This year the European Equal Pay Day was on 4 November. It marks the day when women symbolically stop getting paid compared to their male colleagues for the same job.
Inspirefest is now Future Human
Future Human 2020 will run from 21-22 May 2020 at the Trinity Business School. We wish Ann and the team at Silicon Republic all the best for Future Human. Find out more here.
Athena Swan Awards October 2019
Athena Swan is a national award scheme for higher education institutions and their commitment to gender equality. UCC's Business Information Systems Department is mentioned above. Eight UCD schools won Athena Swan Bronze awards for their commitment to gender equity. Congratulations to the UCD School of Medicine, UCD School of Biology and Environmental Science, and UCD College of Engineering and Architecture. Congratulations to Maynooth University Geography Department who achieved a bronze award. Please tell us if you know of any more Athena Swan Awards.
NWCI Free Employment Law Advice Clinic for Women
Congratulations to the National Women's Council of Ireland on the launch of the new free employment advice clinic for women. The Clinic aims to ensure that every woman has the right to economic fairness, equal opportunity, and dignity in the workplace. Find out more here.
Interested in joining a Not-for-Profit Board?
Boardmatch is the Irish charity that specialises in helping people from all sectors become New Leaders in Communities Nationwide by becoming Charity Trustees. It has two upcoming events.
Women on Air
- There is an information session on Wednesday 13th November about joining a board. Find out more and book your place here.
- Secondly there is a Charity Trustee Speed-dating event on Wednesday 27th November at the Convention Centre Dublin. Find out more and register here.
Women on Air is establishing a live national database of women who are happy to contribute on our airwaves. Fill out the contact form here if you are interested in joining the list.
Gender Bias in film scripts
Geena Davis announces 'Spellcheck for Bias' tool to redress gender imbalance in movies. The actor’s Institute on Gender in Media has announced a new machine-learning tool, to be piloted by Disney, that can analyse scripts and reveal unconscious biases.
Women in the Workplace 2019
Read the latest update from McKinsey & Campany. Welcome news to see greater representation of women at executive level, now @21% - up 5 points since 2015, but interesting data showing the biggest gap is in the first step to management. Thanks to Marie Moynihan of Dell for tweeting this link.
Women in senior management - more stats to support the business case.
Read Bloomberg's article about the impact of female chief financial officers. Great support for business case. Thanks to Brid Horan of Balance for Better Business for the article via Twitter.
Items of Interest
- BBC 100 Women 2019. Have a look at the list here. Great to see the scientist Katie Bouman and the activist Sinead Burke on the list.
- 5, 6 November Simmons International Leadership Conference Citywest Hotel Dublin.
- 5 November Gender Equality Academy half day workshop Gender Action Plans, TCD.
- 7 November Women in Research Ireland WIRI Open Mic Night! 6.30 pm The Mercantile Dublin. Sign up here to present; help shatter the stereotypes of researchers.
- 8 November Women in Apprenticeship Networking Lunch. TU Dublin Bolton St. Book here.
- 10-17 November Science Week 2019 - events and regional festivals here.
- 13 November Boardmatch Candidate Information Session. Book your place here.
- 16 November Girls into Geoscience at UCD. Booking open here.
- 27 November Boardmatch Charity Speed-dating session, Convention Centre Dublin, register here.
- 30 November WITS 2019 AGM Hilton Garden Inn Custom House Quay, D1.
- 8-9 January 2020 ICS, AWS Women’s Leadership Workshop, booking here
- 26 February - 6 March 2020 Engineers Week. Miss Universe Ireland and NASA datanaut Fionnghuala O'Reilly is an Engineers Week Ambassador.
We'd welcome a post and photographs for the WITS website if you attend any of these events.
Thank you for reading WITSWORDS. Check back for December WITSWORDS and in the meantime, please send us members' news or any STEM or gender news.