WITS Executive meeting 2 September and 7 October 2015 6.30 pm
The WITS Executive met on Wednesday 2 September after the summer break. Our next meeting in Wednesday 7 October.
26 September WITS Strategy Workshop
The workshop will be led by Mary Carroll of Growth Potential and WITS Vice-Chair. Book a place here.
17 October WITS Female Friendly Coding Workshop NCI, Dublin 1 10 am - 4 pm
Introduction to HTML/CSS Workshop led by Vicky Twomey Lee. This workshop will show you how to use HTML and CSS to make webpages. It is €15 for WITS members. More information and to book your place here.
3 November WITS25 event. WITS first formal meeting was on 3 November 1990 with Mary Mulvihill as our first Chair. We will celebrate on 3 November 2015 with a lecture. Further information here.
5 December WITS 2015 AGM at the Science Gallery.
18 July WITS Science Gallery Tour
WITS members gathered for a tour of the HOME/SICK Post-Domestic Bliss exhibition in the Science Gallery. Thanks to the Science Gallery, our excellent tour guide and Vicky Twomey Lee of the WITS Exec who organised the event.
WITS was at:
- 1 July 30% Group and Vodafone held a Women in Business meeting at Vodaphone in Dublin. Marion Palmer and Mary Carroll attended on behalf of WITS.
- 6 July NCH MinT launch. MinT Mentoring in IT is a collaborative project led by Hays Recruitment with WITS and CoderDojo among the partners. Julie Hogan and Vicky Twomey Lee attended the launch.
- 8 July Successor to Science Technology and Innovation Policy Stakeholder Consultation at Farmleigh. Maria Delaney took part in the consultation on behalf of WITS.
- 14 July Diving Bell launch Dublin Port WITS members and friends attended the opening of the refurbished Dublin Port Diving Bell on Sir John Rogersons' Quay. The diving bell is now a visitor centre with the text by Mary Mulvihill. More here.
- 12 September Career Zoo This Career Zoo event had a focus on women in tech. WITS was well represented at the Career Zoo in the Convention Centre. Marion Palmer was on the Diversity panel. The photograph shows the panel members Kieran Rose of GLEN, Karen Lyons of Ericsson, Marion Palmer, James Northridge of UrAbility with the panel chair Michelle Cullen of Accenture. Vicky Twomey Lee and Andreea Wade led an Unconscious Bias workshop and Niamh Shaw was on Breakthroughs in Research and Career Opportunities panel.
MinT Mentoring in Technology
the Mint mentoring project is now laucnhed and seeking women in technology as mentees and mentors. To sign up go to mint.idirus.com and follow MinT on Twitter.
Athena Swan awards
Congratulations to Trinity College Dublin and the University of Limerick as the first Irish institutions to gain Bronze Athena Swan awards. These prestigious awards reflect a rigorous application and evaluation process and show a strong commitment to gender equality in STEM. TCD also attained Bronze awards at departmental level for the School of Chemistry, the School of Physics and the School of Natural Sciences. Eithne McCabe of the WITS Exec led the School of Physics application. More here.
New National Strategy for Science, Technology and Innovation
The new national strategy for science, technology and innovation is being developed following the draft issued early in the year and the consultation in July. It is due this autumn. WITS will be watching out for it and reviewing it as soon as it is.
Marie Curie Fellowships Call
Call now open for Marie Curie Fellowships in the ‘ASSISTID’ programme for Intellectual Disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Forty fellowships will be awarded. Call for proposals is open until 30 September 2015. Please visit http://www.assistid.eu/fellows/meet-our-fellows.php to see the current Fellows.
Dates for your diary
- International Year of the Girl 10 October DCU.
- Science Hack Day Dublin 14, 15 November at UCD. Marion Palmer is a judge again this year.
- Inspirefest2016 will take place from 30 June -2 July. Do plan to be there, last year was magnificent. #inspirefest2016.
TweetChat: Overcoming Shyness & Gaining Confidence in the Workplace, Friday, September 25th, 2pm.
Calling all women in engineering and technology. Engineers Ireland and DiscoverE (who run Engineers Week in the US) are collaborating and running a twitter chat for women in engineering and technology on the subject of shyness and confidence in the workplace. The hashtag is #globalmarathon and for more information click here.
Story Map of Women in Tech!
Have a look at the map. Add yourself. This map is from Systers a forum for all women involved in the technical aspects of computing. The community has over 5,500 members from at least 60 countries around the world.
International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology
New special issue on Gendered Motivation and Choice in STEM available here.
Plan Ireland Ball
Members may like to support the Because I am a Girl Ball for Plan Ireland on Saturday 7 November 2015. More information here.
Coder Girl Hack Day
Coding Grace is partnering with CoderDojoGirls@DCU and Girls Hack Ireland for a Coder Girl Hack Day.
This celebrates International Day of the Girl (8 to 17 years) a and is being held at DCU. More information here.
There's an education track for teachers on STEM as well as a Python workshop for parents/teachers
We welcome news and profiles from members. If you have events, initiatives or just something you think of interest to WITS members please email WITS and we'll include it in the next newsletter.