And I think that's the reason I've chosen sacred dance for my vocation (or rather, why it has chosen me): Dance has the power to shed light on the human condition, and thus on the One who created it.
From Martha Chapman, Co-director
This has been a year of highs and lows with personal and family health issues that were pretty hard knocks balanced with amazing experiences of grace. Omega Dance Company has been a joy for me; I am blessed to be developing leadership with amazing women whom I love dearly, and receive support and wisdom from Carla DeSola, Omega's founder, and recent directors, Mignon Gillen and Sandra Rivera, who carried Omega forward for so many years. God's grace shines through these dancing spirits, the Sacred Dance Guild, and my home at The Church of the Village, where Omega is based. I know God has work for me to do with Omega, and my heart is humbled and glad to be dancing on and spreading the light as best I can.
From Becky Reuter, Co-director
When I reflect on Omega's 2013-2014 season, I am especially grateful for the opportunity to minister through movement on Good Friday and Easter at St. Ignatius Loyola. With liturgical dance having played as large a role in the Lent's and Easter's of my life as fasting and chocolate bunnies, to not
dance during Holy Week the past few years has felt like an exercise in translation--how could I understand these stories of suffering, death, and new life but through movement?
As Omega prepared for the Good Friday Three Hour Devotion and Easter Sunday Family Mass at St. Ignatius this year, my heart rejoiced and my muscles ached with relief. To embody Jesus' passion and resurrection in dance anew was to hear and tell Jesus' sacred story in my native language once again. And to do so in the presence of my passionate Omega colleagues and the welcoming arms of the St. Ignatius community was to embrace another old friend. A beautiful return, indeed!
From Margaret Elaine Plaza, Associate Director
This year I entered into the role of leadership amidst a group of extraordinary women. Individually we are unique, but together we are a tour de force bringing to the table years of experience, love and passion for God, prayer, dance, and education, as well as a fierce commitment to Omega Dance Company.
Some highlights from this year that I treasure with all my heart are:
- Reconnecting to the sacred space of St. Ignatius Loyola Church
- Meeting the extraordinary Father Ugo for the first time and watching him preside over Christmas Eve Mass at St. Ignatius
- Being a witness to the beautiful craftsmanship, development, and performance of Katie Bignell's Take My Mother Home
- Teaching, re-staging, and performing Mignon Gillen's powerful and moving Love Cry
- Bringing joy to Easter Mass through movement and prayer under the leadership of Becky Reuter
- Watching Martha Chapman's love and commitment for Carla DeSola and Beyond Words
- Making new sister friends through dance and prayer with joyous women from Canada and across the US when Beyond Words was postponed
I look forward to the evolution of Omega Dance Company through the collective efforts of the leadership team, with dancers we love past and present, and with new working relationships we build along the way.
Thank you for your support.
Margaret Elaine Plaza
Associate Director of Omega Dance Company