DECEMBER 2019 – NEWSLETTER #18
• The OPM market, which stands at $2.3 billion, can grow 12 % by 2020, said Eduventures.
• Grand Canyon Education picked up 17 partner institutions after acquiring Orbis Education Services for $362 million.
• "The next-generation model for MOOCs in higher education is to become a form of OPM providers, including the near-term focus on master's degrees," wrote expert Phil Hill, from e-Literate.
• Artificial intelligence in U.S. education will grow by 47.5% from 2017-2021. An expert takes a peek into examples of how AI is used in education.
• AI developed by Chinese companies will rock our world, and reshape teaching, said Dr. Kai-Fu Lee, best-selling author, and former Google's China chief.
• MOOCs should be understood as just as digital content rather than college educational experiences, writes Amy Ahearn, manager at +Acumen.
• MOOC top platforms grew their businesses by over 20% in 2018
• A 22-story tower in Beijing named the "MOOC Times Building" houses government supported incubator for edtech companies. It includes two tricked-out production studios to film and edit video for courses.
• Google has created an IT Support Professional Certificate program, designed to train anyone without any prior training or degree a Support Specialist in 8 to 12 months.
• Coursera added 675 courses, doubled down on the number of degrees, launched the first Bachelor's degree, and reached 37 million learners in 2018.
• Coursera launched a forum space for its global community of learners to ask questions and help each other out.
• EdSurge is redefining its mission on writing, research and events, after closing a $2.5 million fundraise and signing with new partners in China (JMD and TAL Education)
• DataCamp, a New York-based provider of online data science and analytics courses that claims 3.3 million users, raised another $25 million.
• Kahoot, an Oslo-based developer of a digital quiz tool popular with teachers, received investment support from Disney, and brought its valuation until $374 million.
• India's Byju raised $540 million to expand globally with English classes.
2019 UPCOMING EVENTS
• Education Calendar by IBL News
This newsletter about learning innovation is a monthly report compiled by the IBL News journalist staff, in collaboration with IBL Education, a New York City-based company that builds data-driven learning ecosystems and courses with Open edX at the core. If you enjoy what you read please consider forwarding it to spread the word. Click here to subscribe.
IBL Newsletter #17 – November 2018
IBL Newsletter #16 – October 2018
IBL Newsletter #15 – September 2018