OCTOBER 2017 – NEWSLETTER #2
• Google. Google will commit $1 billion over the next five years to nonprofits in education and professional training. The program is called Grow with Google.
• Steve Wozniak. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak launched Woz-U, an online, tech-focused education school.
• Blockchain. The Linux Foundation will issue this month on edx.org a course about the blockchain technology, Blockchain for Business: An Introduction to Hyperledger.
• Design Thinking. 50 college professors and administrator met at Stanford University to determine how design thinking can be applied in higher education. Is this a tool to bring fresh thinking to colleges bound by tradition? (Chronicle; subscription required).
• Microcrendential. If 2012 was “The Year of the MOOC”, 2017 is “The Year of the Microcredential”.
• Music. The Juilliard School launched six high-quality free MOOCs intended for musicians and music lovers.
• Transformation. Anant Agarwal, CEO at edX, described three innovative ways to transform higher education. They involve online deliveries with blended credentials and on-campus instruction.
• Nanodegree. Udacity.com attracted 53,000 students to its Nanodegree program, with 18,000 graduates, thereby doubling their revenues.
• Flipped. Flipped Learning solves a basic structural problem of traditional teaching, explained Prof. Robert Talbert at GW. "It is a necessity to reach students who struggle."
• Resources. The Online Learning Consortium (OLC) announced the formation of the OLC Research Center for Digital Learning and Leadership. It will provide resources related to trends, innovations and effective practices.
• Educause. Educause 2017 (Philadelphia, Oct. 31 – Nov. 3) is almost here. Interesting topics this year: AI and machine learning, blockchain, digital learning strategies, microlearning, etc. Campus Technology scrutinized the conference agenda.
The Training at Scale monthly newsletter is a topic-curated email report compiled by Michael Amigot, Founder at IBL Studios. If you enjoy what you read please consider forwarding it. Click here to subscribe.
Archive: Training at Scale Newsletter #1 – September 2017