August 15, 2019
Dear Sinister Wisdom Sisters,
The calendar has arrived! You have until midnight tonight to order your copy and not pay for shipping and handling. (OK, probably until about 10 a.m. on Friday morning when I take down the PayPal link - let's be honest here.) So get your order in! We will ship out calendars on Friday this week and Monday next week (Generally we ship two days a week so things get to folks in a timely fashion). You can preview the cover of the calendar here. Order your calendar before August 15th for free shipping and handling!
Order 1 calendar for $15; or get our best deal at 5 calendars/$75.00 (includes shipping and handling even after August 15th!)
Talking with Guest Editors about Past Issues
Our intrepid intern Nadine is working on a series of interviews called Reflecting Back about past issues and their influences on lesbian culture. The most recent interview features Joan Nestle and Yasmin Tambiah. Here is the beginning of the interview:
Reflecting Back on Sinister Wisdom 94: Lesbians and Exile (2014) with Joan Nestle and Yasmin Tambiah
How did Sinister Wisdom 94: “Lesbians and Exile” come to be?
Yasmin and Joan: We met over twenty-five years ago at the first literary awards night of the Astraea Lesbian Foundation in New York City. At that time, we were both living in the United States. In 2003, we talked about working on an anthology on the theme “Questions of Home: Lesbians and Exile,” but no publisher was interested. Joan was living in Australia by then, and Yasmin was based in Sri Lanka and traveling widely for work. Yasmin communicated with Joan about the consequences of the war between the government of Sri Lanka and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (the LTTE), and the fallout on Tamils in the country as well as on people of other ethnic groups. Yasmin later moved to Australia, where her family had sought refuge as a consequence of the war. When the opportunity arose for us to be guest editors for Sinister Wisdom, we saw the chance to finally explore a topic that had been on our minds for so long.
Click here to read the rest of this great interview with Yasmin and Joan.
Other Late Summer Highlights
I'm just going to run down the rest of my cool stuff with a series of bullets and links because it is already 1:30 pm on Thursday and this email needs to wing its way to you. So buckle your seatbelts, sisters, and read on!
- Order some of our groovy back issue collections! Over the past twenty-five years.Sinister Wisdom has explored the maltreatment of the lesbian body in psychiatric and mental health institutions, and lesbians' creative responses to these experiences. Caring & Healing gathers three back issues on the theme, and can be yours at the usual sliding scale rates. Order Caring & Healing collection here.
- So we are shipping out back issues this summer and want to send you some! I still have over 6,000 back issues of Sinister Wisdom sharing my office space and am trying to get that down to about 2,000 which is the more sustainable model for us. Will you help and spread the goodness of Sinister Wisdom? Order back issues today!
- Volunteer editors are eagerly reading submissions from writers, artists, and other creative folks in response to our calls for submissions, all listed here. Send along your work. Sinister Wisdom is ALWAYS open for writing and art submissions, so you can always submit your work through our general calls. We look forward to reading and responding to you work!
- What else is up this month? I'm trying to get the accounting all buttoned down to file the taxes. The fall issue is at the printer and I'm getting ready to send the winter issue to the designer. Always thinking about the next issue.
- Do you have the Notes for a Revolution--A Woman's Journal? Today is a good day to order a copy for you - and for a gift for a friend. Check out the cover at the end of this email!
That's my update, sinister sisters!
More in a few weeks about fall activities!
Julie R. Enszer, PhD
Editor and Publisher, Sinister Wisdom
PS Don't forget to order the Sinister Wisdom 2020 calendar! Thank you!
A Few Copies of Sinister Wisdom 113 Still Available! Order Quickly!
And remember our Notes for a Revolution - A Woman's Journal for your uses and for gifting!