- Tess Clawson-St. Joseph, State Center
- Benjamin Miller-St. Raphael Cathedral-St. Patrick, Dubuque
- James Pfaffly-St. Mary, Guttenberg; Immaculate Conception, North Buena Vista; St. Joseph, Garnavillo
- Elizabeth Stone-St. Cecilia, Ames
- Amy Priem-Spires fo Faith, Dyersville, Earlville, Petersburg, New Vienna, Worthington
- Mandy O'Neill-St. Patrick, Waukon
Deanery FFL Meetings for September
- Sep 8: CRAYM, Regis Middle School, Cedar Rapids, 4:00 PM
- Sep 8: Decorah DIOCORE, St. Benedict, Decorah, 1:00 PM
- Sep 9: Cedar Rapids DIOCORE Inservice, All Saints, Cedar Rapids, 6:45 PM
- Sep 10: Cedar Rapids DIOCORE, St. Pius, Cedar Rapids, 10:00 AM
- Sep 10: Dubuque DIOCORE, Resurrection, Dubuque, 9:00 AM
- Sep 10: Waterloo DIOCORE, St. Gabriel, Reinbeck, 10:00 AM
- Sep 14: Marshalltown DIODYM, St. Cecelia, Ames, 10:00 AM
- Sep 14: Marshalltown DIODYM Inservices, St. Henry, Marshalltown, 3:00 PM
- Sep 14: Marshalltown DIODYM Inservices, St. Henry, Marshalltown, 6:00 PM
- Sep 15: MC-NH DIOCORE, Immaculate Conception, Charles City, 11:30 AM
- Sep 20: Decorah DIOCORE Inservice, St. Benedict, Decorah, 6:00 PM
- Sep 22: DAYM, Location Resurrection, Dubuque, 10:00 AM
- Sep 27: Dyersville DIOCORE, New Melleray Abbey, Peosta,9:30 AM
- TBA: Dubuque AFF, Location and Time TBA, Dubuque
- TBA: WAYM, Please contact local leadership for further information
Catechetical Sunday Ad in Witness - Please Review
We would like to acknowledge all of our Faith Formation Leaders in the Witness on Sunday, September 20, 2015. We are using our database of those FFLs who have a contract or some other work agreement on file at the Archdiocesan Office, to create that list and to verify years of service. Please make sure that we have your paperwork so you will be included in this important acknowledgement. Thank you.
University of Dayton VLCFF Update
Cycle 6 in the VLCFF program begins September 6 and continues through October 10. Registration closes September 2. Remember that each FFL and CSA get a voucher for one free class per year. If you are interested in using your voucher for your free class, please contact Julie Sanders at DBQRELSEC @dbqarch.org and she will assist you with the registration process.
Note that registration for Cycle 7 begins on September 9 and closes on October 21. The five-week courses for Cycle 7 run from October 25 to November 28.
To browse through the list of course offerings for Cycle 6 or 7, go to https://vlc.udayton.edu/calendar/. You may click on any class to get an overview of the class as well as the course objectives.
The following have completed a Dayton course recently:
- Kari Hill-St. Jude, Cedar Rapids: Prayer & Worship With Adolescents
- Wendy Osterberger-Resurrection Church, Dubuque: Survey of Catholic Doctrine
- Rob Reinhart-Marion: Ecclesiology: Beginnings of the Church; Faith and Human Development
- Joann Starr-St. Joseph, Marion: Introduction to Catechesis
- Charlene Vig-St. John the Baptist, Mount Vernon: Faith and Human Development
- Diane Walston-Heart of Mary Cluster, Vinton: Our Hearts Were Burning
FFL/CSA Book Club 2015-2016
The Church of Mercy: A Vision for the Church
Collected from Pope Francis’s speeches, homilies, and papers presented during the first year of his papacy, The Church of Mercy is the first Vatican-authorized book detailing his vision for the Catholic Church. From how to be citizens of the world to answering God’s call for evangelization, Pope Francis's deep wisdom reminds us that the Church must move beyond its own walls and joyfully bring God's mercy wherever suffering, division, or injustice exists. Continue reading...
FirstClass Communication Reminders
On your FirstClass Desktop, you should find the host group $DBQFFL. The host group $DBQFFL is utilized to communicate with all FFLs in the Archdiocese. This group is separate from your FirstClass Email account. If you have your FirstClass email forwarded to another email account, you still need to “check-in” to FirstClass to see what has been sent through $DBQFFL. We ask that you do this at least once per week. Continue reading...
DIOCORE / Regional YM Meeting Agenda Items - September
- 2015-2016 AFFR will be sent out by October 1 and is due November 16.
- Register for the Pastoral Leadership Study Day.
- VLCFF Registration for Cycle 7 (October 25 - November 28) opens September 9 and closes October 21.
- Verify that Safe Environment requirements are met for all catechists and volunteers. Send out information regarding when you will be teaching the Safe Environment Training for Children curriculum.
- Don’t Forget: Share information from the InFo and the LeadersGram with your Faith Formation Commission.
- Mark Your FFL Calendar Items.
Items from the September Executive Calendar
- Finalize class groupings, small groups, and room assignments
- Conduct Local orientation/Catechist Formation & Endorsement of catechists/staff
- Explain Safe Environment requirements to catechists)—see FirstClass>Conferences>Protection of Children
- Stock catechist supply cabinets
- Finalize registrations
- Distribute/explain the parent/guardian handbook
- Collect information and confirm details for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation that will be provided via sacramental meetings, including parents
- Conduct fire and tornado drills
- Prepare for October feast days and Respect Life Month using the Archdiocesan theme for the year as stated in the Archdiocesan Respect Life Educational Program
- Note NCYC registration deadline
- Select dates and site if offering a summer service camp
On Tuesday, September 1, 2015, the Faith Formation Team had its first meeting of the year. This group of deanery representatives will serve as the conduit between the Archdiocesan Offices of Adolescent Faith Formation and Catechetical Services and the DIOCORE and Youth Ministry Regional Groups. We look forward to a year of working together to relay information, share ideas, and develop plans for Faith Formation Leaders in the Archdiocese of Dubuque.
Click here to view the members of the team.
AFFR (Archdiocesan Faith Formation Report - formerly DATA survey) - 2015-2016
As you heard at the Fall FFL/CSA Day on August 11, we are modifying the format of the AFFR (the former AACDS or DATA Survey). After listening to suggestions by you, we are delaying the dates for this process. You will find it available by October 1. We ask that you complete it as soon as possible, but no later than November 16, 2015. You will receive an email with login information as well as where to find the guidelines in October. Please contact our offices if you have any questions.
Archdiocesan Directory 2015-2016
The Archdiocesan Directory is in its final review. Ordering has begun, please click here for the parish order form. In order to be included in the bulk mailing mid-October (orders that need to be mailed will incur a higher postage rate after this date) please have your orders mailed in by October 1st. The order forms can also be found on FirstClass in the conferences folder under Vicar General.
As a reminder please e-mail any changes of address, staffing, etc. to Sarah Otting at DBQCABSEC@dbqarch.org so that they can be included in future updates and so that we have the most up to date information.
After a huge success with the Totus Tuus program in the Archdiocese this past summer, the archdiocese will be expanding the program in 2016. Totus Tuus is a program of evangelization and catechesis that brings a trained team of high-energy, faith-filled, college-aged missionaries to your parish to share the love and teachings of Jesus with the children, teens, and families of your parish. Click here to learn more.
Teens Encounter Christ (TEC)
The TEC weekend retreats have been scheduled for the 2015-16 school year.
- #560 Xavier High School, Cedar Rapids, November 7-9, 2015
- #561 Marquette High School, Bellevue, January 30 - February 1, 2016
- #562 Beckman High School, Dyersville, March 5-7, 2016
- #563 CSR Elementary School, Calmar, April 2-4, 2016
- #564 Wahlert High School, Dubuque April 16-18, 2016
TEC is for high school seniors. They can register online with their parent/guardians at www.dbqarch.org/TEC.
The cost for a TEC weekend is $75.00 and includes all meals, lodging, and supplies.
If you would like promotional TEC brochures to assist you in the invitation of teens from your parish or school, please contact Kevin Feyen at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim Betzner at email@example.com.
From the Education Resource Center
The Faith Formation Division of the Archdiocese of Dubuque has recently developed Curriculum outlines for both Elementary and High School faith formation programs in parishes and Catholic schools. The Education Resource Center (ERC) has compiled catalog listings of media that supplement, enrich, teach, and review the Essential Learning objectives of the Goals established in the Elementary Curriculum as well as resources to supplement, enrich, teach, and review the Theme Objectives outlined in the High School Curriculum. You can now locate and print the catalogs listing these resources at the Curriculum Catalogs page of the ERC web site: https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/education-resource-center/curriculum-catalogs/. These catalogs are a representative sampling. Additional resources are available to assist you as you implement your curriculums. Contact the ERC for further requests — whether for program participant resources, parent-connection ideas, or for your own personal growth: 800-876-3546 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also access the online web search catalog at http://www.DBQArch.org/ERCWebCatalog.
Mark Your Calendar
For information on the enrichment offerings for Faith Formation Leaders and Catholic School Administrators, please click here: https://www.dbqarch.org/offices/catechetical-services/.
Witness Grant Application
Information for the 2015-2016 Witness Grant was sent out through $dbqffl on May 27. If you haven’t already, please take a minute to respond with your "initial" intention for participating in The Witness Grant for 2015/16 as soon as possible. Click here for more information.
Discussion Topics for Every Faith Formation Leader and His/Her Pastor
- What are our goals/priorities for the coming year?
- How can we best reach the parents of those under 18 in our parish/cluster/system?
- How is Faith Formation fitting into the whole parish structure?
Family Matters: Mission of Love Archdiocesan Adult Conference on the Family
Mark Your Calendars for the Adult Conference on the Family: Family Matters, Mission of Love.
The conference is on Saturday, November 7, 2015, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at the Five Sullivan Brothers Center, Waterloo. This will be a day you won’t want to miss! In the year of the World Synod on the Family, our Archdiocese is eager to take the message of the importance and beauty of the family to our families and parishes.
This day has been designed to emphasize the Christian mission of the family–in all its forms and stages. Speakers include John Leonetti who will speak on the mission of the family. Joel and Lisa Schmidt will present “ Pray, Work, Rest and Play: A Rule of Life For Families.” And John Angotti will provide the music. 4:00 p.m. Mass with Archbishop Jackels concludes the day.
Click here for ideas on ways you can use what is presented with your catechists.
Webinars for Catechists from Loyola Press: Getting Started as a Catechist Webinars (Archived)
Loyola Press has made available recorded webinars that can help catechists, especially new catechists, as they begin their ministry. Please have those who are beginning their ministry as catechists view the recorded webinars from Joe Paprocki. D.Min., who is National Consultant for Faith Formation at Loyola Press in Chicago. He has over 30 years of experience in ministry in the Archdiocese of Chicago. Joe is the author of numerous books on pastoral ministry and catechesis, including the best-selling The Catechist’s Toolbox and A Well-Built Faith, and Under the Influence of Jesus. Joe, earned his master’s degree in pastoral studies from Loyola University’s Institute of Pastoral Studies and received his doctor of ministry degree from the University of St. Mary of the Lake, Mundelein, IL. Paprocki’s blog post, entitled Getting Started as a Catechist, lists the following 4 sixty-minute recorded Webinars that you can use to meet your needs:
Go to: http://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2014/07/getting-started-as-a-catechist-webinars-archived/
The webinars include:
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Primary Age Children
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Intermediate Age Children
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Junior High and High School Students
- Getting Started as a Catechist of Adults
From Mary Pedersen, Director of Adult Faith Formation
- Archdiocesan Adult Conference: Family Matters: Mission of Love Please encourage families in your parish/school to attend the Archdiocesan Adult Conference: Family Matters: Mission of Love (please provide childcare). Also, have students write an essay, poem, or create an art project on why their family matters. Have students draw up a mission statement on the family.
From Mindy Hart, Director of Ministry to Persons with Disabilities
You can view newsletters with resources for providing ministry with Persons with Disabilities at www.dbqarch.org/offices/persons-with-disabilities/pwd-newsletters/.